iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yet another finish question.

Started by hackberry jake, January 22, 2013, 06:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I am about to start an exterior hammock stand project. The finish I am leaning towards would be some type of oil finish as a base and then a sparurethane or marine varnish on top for uv protection. Are these two compatible? I was leaning towards BLO for the oil because I have never tried it and I hear a lot of good things about it. It will be white oak.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dodgy Loner

Yes, all common oil finishes, including BLO, are compatible with all oil-based varnishes. Personally I avoid film finishes for outdoor projects, but if you're up for refinishing every few years, that will work fine.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Lud

ONE time  is worth a look at, Jake,for exterior work.  I used it last year on two tables I built and was impressed with the way it soaks in and has to set outside in the sun to cure the finish.  Supposed to last 7 years too.  Not a film!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

hackberry jake

Pretty impressive lud, I'll look into that. My dad is from the great white north and he said they always used "log oil" on their log cabin and it never turned grey. Has anyone used log oil on furniture? What finish would you use dodgy?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Axe Handle Hound

If you want a picture of log oil turning grey I'll have my brother send you a photo of his cabin.  It lasted a pretty long time, but ALL finishes will turn grey eventually and ALL film finishes you put on an outdoor project will ultimately fail.  Most will fail within a year or two at most due to the UV attack they get, but there are some better products out there.  Everything I've read suggests that Epifanes varnish is the go-to product for outdoor projects.  I don't want to assume too much, but I believe that's what TreeFeller is using for his outdoor chairs?  Maybe he can give some insight as to how it holds up. 

Tree Feller

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on January 23, 2013, 08:39:09 AM
Everything I've read suggests that Epifanes varnish is the go-to product for outdoor projects.  I don't want to assume too much, but I believe that's what TreeFeller is using for his outdoor chairs?  Maybe he can give some insight as to how it holds up.

Yes, Epifanes is what I use on my outdoor furniture. It's the best clear finish I've found but it will still need maintenance every couple of years if directly exposed to the elements. It's a true spar varnish with UV inhibitors. It's made with Tung oil but I first apply a coat of BLO on ERC because I think it helps it retain the red color longer.

For a "smallish" project, the ultimate clear finish is epoxy followed by Epifanes varnish. The epoxy seals out moisture and the Epifanes provides UV protection. That finish is hideously espensive, however, and wouldn't be feasible on larger projects (like a patio glider). The Epifanes itself is $32 for a 1000 ml can. I use 4 cans on those gliders. I get mine from Jamestown Distributors.  http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=92&familyName=Epifanes+Gloss+Clear+Varnish

I was already using it based on a recommendation from a very good woodworker that I respect. Then, FWW magazine did a test a couple of years ago on the durability of clear finishes and rated Epifanes the best.

The "best" outdoor finish is paint but if you want the wood to show, you have to use oil or a clear film finish. On the oil finishes I've tried, the wood turned gray within a few months of direct exposure.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Thank You Sponsors!