iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

desk area in new rec room

Started by sbishop, July 12, 2012, 02:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

Hey everyone,

I've been busy on the home front lately, the wife lost her attached garage to a new rec room. we ended up removing the 16' garage door, moving the door and a window....what made the outside easier is that we got all new siding under warranty!!!!!

I decide that i also needed a desk area....plus a little mini-bar / fridge area...why not put it all in one....especially not far from the big screen.

so here is my little dilemma....I build the entire cabinets from scratch except for the doors. A friend of mine has a whole bunch of cabinet doors  in his basement at which he bought at an auction. I'm missing "sometime" at the upper cabinets and was wondering what would you do. i don't have a door available for this hole (10" approx). Maybe shelves?

i'm missing 2 banks of drawers on the desk part...working on those these days!

Thanks for any suggestions!

beenthere

Remind me...what is the question? ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Misfit

How about a built in wine rack? Should be enough space for 10 to 12 bottles.

Looks real good, bye the way.
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Mooseherder

Build a Pool Table instead. ;D

Raider Bill

I put in a bar and pool table area at my house years ago. Took them out when I discovered I had too many beer drinking freeloading Friends that wanted to shoot free pool and drink my beer.  ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Lud

I'd hang a shelf all the way across the bottoms with piece of crown on the front edge.  It would let you put different types of lighting underneath and out of sight behind the molding.

Put something artsy but eyecatching in the narrow gap.  A tall vase with grasses or antique  golf clubs.  Something colorful .

Good luck.

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Coyote

Patty

Looks great! I think Lud has a good idea with the shelf, and lighting, and artwork, especially if you are not a wine drinker. However, if wine is in the mix the spot would be perfect for that. I was thinking a tiny bookcase area, but then, I really like books.  Leather bound with gold print....a thing of beauty! Kind of classes up the joint.  :)   I have seen them for sale at Goodwill and estate sales to be used just for decoration if nothing else.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

sbishop

beenthere...see pic!!!  :D

Mooseherder...pool table...that would be fun....a pool with be even more funner  :D

Wine rack sounds good...any design ideas? one that you see the complete bottle..or just the ends?

shelve sounds good too...i'll run that by the misses!

My friend has a bunch of cherry crown...he's told me that i will be putting it on the bottom and top of the cabinets ;)

Keep em coming!

metalspinner

I have a 10" gap in my kitchen, too.  After 5 years of wondeing what to do with it, I put small hanging hook and hang the new pots and pans in there.

The wine rack is a good idea, too.  Shelves for cookbooks could be handy.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Misfit

I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

sbishop

Thanks everyone for the suggestions but i broke down and made a door...actually it was pretty easy and it looks like the others too  ;)

I was wondering if it would be possible to install some crown on top of the cabinets? i'm not sure if it possible especially the second cabinet from the right is lower and stands out about an 1".

Sbishop

Misfit

What about putting matching strips of wood on the tops of the cabinets set at a lower level so the tops would all be at the same height? Then run your crown moulding across that. With some careful cuts you can frame around the protruding cabinet with crown moulding and have a nice shadow line effect.

sbishop

Finally got the handles installed on the doors..its only been 4 months.. :o

Only thing left now is under mounting lighting and installing the bar sink.

jueston

i like the idea of having a bar within arms reach of your work desk.... that would speed up the work day....

sbishop

Jueston...yes speed it .....but dam headaches the next day!  ;)

Lud

So what kind of lighting is planned?  Horizontal lower crown is great!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

sbishop

No sure on lighting but i'm taking suggestions!
What are Horizontal lower crown?

Lud

I presumed I saw some trim when I glanced at the photo.  You could hang crown upside down (or some other trim) about 2" down so whatever lighting and wiring are hidden from a straight on view.  LED's, light roping,  small flourescents are all possible .  Denps on the tasks you want the lighting to serve.

sbishop

Lud, correct i've already got a 2" piece of trim under the cabinets.

I would like to have some bright lights so when doing some work from home, i can actually see what i'm doing....having the lights on a dimmer be awesome too!

Lud

You have it pretty loaded up with equipment so a bit of rope lighting tucked up against the trim could give a pleasant glow.  Maybe a over-the shoulder floor lamp with a decent length cord would be flexible for task illumination.  For example, I found an antique dental lamp stand that I repurposed with a cfl  that can point any direction that I've found useful. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!