iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Locust

Started by Norm, May 20, 2007, 04:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I was down cleaning along a crick line when I noticed all the white color on our field the other side of it. I stopped what I was doing got out and was overwhelmed by the smell. The air was just full of the sweetest smell I'd had in a long time.

Have to admit I felt a little chagrined that I'd never gone down to that field in the spring and taken the time to notice.

I'll not make that mistake again.

theorm

DanG, makes me want to buy a smellavision...
:D :D :D

Theo
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

Ron Wenrich

Ours should be out next week.  Honeysuckle won't be too far behind.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Riles

Hmmm, scratch-n-sniff photo galleries?
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Larry

Looks like you musta took out some bigger trees in the past and now have a lot of stump and root sprouts...yes it does smell nice.  I really like to mill fresh black locust, as it smells sorta like cinnamon or something cookin in the oven.  Makes me a lot hungry.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dodgy Loner

Mmm, black locust lumber.  That's some DanG purty wood.  I wish I could find a nice log to saw up.  I love working with unconventional woods.  It's a shame that most people aren't aware locust lumber, but those springtime flowers are almost as nice.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

thurlow

We...........the wife and I.............have often commented on how sweet the black locust are.......................some years.  Other years there will hardly be any scent at all;  wonder what the difference is?
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

WDH

I love those sweet smelling pea-flowers :).  Who would think that it is in the pea family ???. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

You got it right Larry, it was an old pasture that went feral many years ago. I came in and took out all of the sawable trees and let it go back feral. I'm going to scrape it clean and plant beans for a couple of years to kill back the sprouts. After seeing how pretty it is I've reconsidered....well that was right up until I came to my senses and saw what bean prices were. :D

ohsoloco

So THAT'S what those trees were!  On Monday I was traveling on I-80 and even with the A/C on the inside of the car was overwhelmed with (an almost sickening) sweet smell, and the interstate was lined with patches of trees that were flowering like that.  I never knew black locust flowered like that  :)

Thank You Sponsors!