iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cleaning hogs

Started by highpockets, March 07, 2007, 07:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highpockets

Beenthere you are so smart.  Of course I can't remember from time to time. I haven't noticed the preview.  Thanks

We got 56 logs to saw. 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

farmerdoug

My Dad and Grandfather use to burn the hogs with straw.  We hosed off the hogs in a raised holding pen with wood slat floor to clean them while still alive.  They were then run on to the killing floor that was covered with straw.  After they were shot we proped them sitting up on their bellies and covered them with a 2 inch layer of straw.  The straw was then set on fire and it burned off most of the hair.  It was then rolled and straw burned on the belly to clean it too.  Then it was scraped and burned with a hand torch for the haired missed.  It was alot of work but my Granddad used to sell several every Saturday on Eastern Market so we knew what Fridays work was.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Michigan Mike

I find that about every other year I end up roasting a hog. The first ones I did with the help of friends we did it the traditional way boil water dip hog scrape. Thats time consuming and required at a minimum a tractor with a bucket. The ones I have done lately are first pressure washed then singed with what I call a sand torch " a large propane torch" then pressure washed again this does a nice job. Last one I did the farmer I bought the hog from supplied the torch and the pressure washer for free if you bought hog from him. He also took care of the guts. I thought it was a pretty good deal. O yea I rented the cooker from him too.

Thank You Sponsors!