iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Possible mill purchase

Started by Berkshire, October 02, 2012, 07:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkshire

So I have the chance to purchase a '97 Woodmizer LT40HD. I know there are a lot of variables when it comes to the value of a mill, but I'm hoping you can help me out with it. From a short conversation with the owner he tells me the mill has just under 5000 hours on it and a new Kohler 28 hp engine with 600 hours on it. The mill has a debarker on it but has not been used in years and most likely needs to be rebuilt. It comes with 6 new blades and 17 used blades in need of being sharpened. He says he's done regular maintained to the mill and it saws accurate lumber. He said the only thing it will need in the near future are the head guide bearings. From a picture of the mill, the paint is faded and has some rust spots. tires are 7 years old but in very good shape with low miles. I am planning on checking out the mill later this week and will try it out to see how it does. He is asking $10,000 firm. Does this seem reasonable/fair or what do you feel would be a good price with the limited info given?

Thank you

isawlogs

I will not comment on the price, one really needs to see the machine to appreciate  or depreciate the asking moneys.

At 5000hrs it has or should be close to having sawed 1,000,000 bf of wood. If it is well maintained , greased regularly, side supports are tight on the shaft( I have seen some that had less grease used on them have some looseness in them and I am not sure that that can be an easy fix) as far as the head guide bearings , they are easily r\r and are not that expensive, you will be able to see them if you take the guard off, they should roll with ease. If the head has some play in it (up down) that aint no big issue as there is adjustments for that.
I would recomend, if you do get this mill, to get a manual from Woodmizer and I would be calling them up and asking about the very mill you are looking at.  ;)  They could give you pointers as to what to look for.
  The paint on them mills suck, but we (owners of them) are proud to have those pinkish orange mills just thee same.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

dgdrls

WH_Conley

Sounds like my mill. Few more hours on the mill. Lot less hours on the engine, 25 horse Kohler with 2400 hrs. At this point in time I would not take 10K.
Bill

paul case

It ''sounds'' reasonable to me.  I always like to test drive things though. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Chuck White

I think 10K is a good price for the mill!

'97 is the "magic" year, '97 and up will accept some good upgrades that the previous years won't!

My mill is a '95 and I wouldn't take 10K for it.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

isawlogs

Check the mill closely, ask questions and try it out if you can.  Not many things a a Mizer that can not be adjuted.

Let us know how the visite to the mill went !!!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

'97 is actually a transition year.  Get WM to run the S/N to determine if it is the new or old vintage.  You can certainly expect some maintenance issues, but there is nothing that can not be put back in sound operating condition.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Berkshire

So I took a look at the mill and got a chance to try it out. I was happy to see it milled straight lumber and had plenty of power. I chose to pass on this mill due to the fact it looked like it was not maintained very well, no maintenance records, and the owner would not move on the price at all. I was just very concerned about spending a large sum of money on something that may or may not need work done to it since it has 5000 hours. I will keep my eyes open for another one. Thanks again for all the help!

thecfarm

It is good that you can wait. Good luck searching.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

If you were not comfortable with the deal, then you did the correct thing.  You are the one that has to live with your decisions. 

Of course, it is always possible that the seller knew exactly what he had.  The new Kohler had 600 hours, and you said; "He says he's done regular maintained to the mill" so it could have been worth the selling price.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!