iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Work Gloves

Started by kantuckid, April 14, 2021, 02:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kantuckid

I'm at that age/experience where I've tried most any glove made but still have a glove question not answered by what I've tried before.

Has anyone used the orange string knit gloves (see MCR 9675) with the PVC webbed on two sides and sold as sticky gloves? I'm wondering if they'll attract sawdust? 

The other glove I have in mind is also a string knit glove with blue PVC blocks (see MCR 9660 MB) on two sides.

I've used the string knit black dot gloves but these both seem as though they might last longer? 
Yes I've tried reading some web reviews. Seen A to Z on most gloves sold and there thousands of types sold. 
Thanks!
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

KenMac

I have found that northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company Item 68040 is  just what I need in a work glove around the mill and wood yard. I understand that this company is not liked on the forum for some reason, but I buy from them on occasion. These gloves are nitrile coated polyester knit and are comfortable and last me about a month per pair. They are currently on sale for $9.99 a dozen. I bought 2 dozen pairs Sunday. YMMV
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

WV Sawmiller

There are some pretty detailed threads here on gloves if you go search for them. I use the cheap HF ones. I find I can tear them up just as quickly as a pair of White Mule or Brown Mule heavy leather gloves that cost 5X as much. I wear gloves pretty faithfully. Just left a firewood pile I am making of several dead ash trees I cut yesterday and mashed my finger between a couple of big chunks. The gloves really helped and likely saved a nail.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

I don't think one has to wonder why Northern isn't liked, there's a pretty detailed thread on the subject. Iirc, they were selling Logrite tools for a while and then got the great idea to copy Logrite's stuff and have it produced in China. To top it off, they were using actual Ligrite promotional photos for their knock off tools. Pretty slimy business practice and not the kind of people I like to do business with. 
Too many irons in the fire

Wudman

I've used the orange knit pvc webbed gloves before.  For me, the pvc webs came off in short order and they didn't wear very well after that.  My contract tree planters seem to like them.  They can grasp a seedling with one hand and swing a hoedad in the other.  These guys operate like sewing machines so they are pretty good at what they do.

I keep a few pair of the PVC coated gloves on hand.  I use them for fish cleaning.  White perch (fresh water) and croakers (salt water) will tear the crap out of your hands.  These keep the fins at bay.  I've never used them for extended periods of work.

I would suggest the cheap (like 50 cent a pair in bulk) mechanics type gloves from the discount stores (Harbor Freight, Amazon, Northern).  Southside turned me on to them.  They are thin nylon with the PVC coating.  I can get 2 or 3 days out of a pair tailing the mill and then pitch them and grab another pair.  They are pretty good for grip and protection.  High quality leather doesn't survive any better with rough lumber.

Wudman    
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

KenMac

Quote from: barbender on April 14, 2021, 04:20:39 PM
I don't think one has to wonder why Northern isn't liked, there's a pretty detailed thread on the subject. Iirc, they were selling Logrite tools for a while and then got the great idea to copy Logrite's stuff and have it produced in China. To top it off, they were using actual Ligrite promotional photos for their knock off tools. Pretty slimy business practice and not the kind of people I like to do business with.
I apologize to anyone who was offended by my mentioning NT. I was unaware of this situation.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

barbender

I certainly wasn't offended. Just giving you the background of what caused that situation😊

kantuckid

Thanks for the comments.
 I actually did a chat with NT yesterday on scaffolding-they have the best price I've found BTW. I do not have any specific love or hate for them but the story line above is nasty stuff. In my experience working there have been more than several bad actors who owned or worked for various places/companies who were not representative of the entire organization by any means. Not to "go there" but as a baseball lover for life, I could easily decide to boycott MLB over a recent action but I wont cause theres mostly one persons poor decision telling me I cannot choose to indict the entire MLB. Same for the NFL and the kneeling events.
 My BIL has so many places he won't go in it's privately comical to me. One bad clerk and he's gone forever sort of thing. 

Back to gloves!: I did look at those type of knit gloves with the nitrile coated palms- MCR alone makes a bunch of versions-Amazon has a chart showing some. On the orange ones loosing the sticky stuff- Amazon reviewers who like them have said there's been batches that were great and others that it came off easily. 
At this point I'm leaning toward the blue "blocks" knit gloves but not bought anything yet. 
I didn't mention that having had CTS release surgery in both hands about 20 yrs back, the heel of your palm is tender in the center forever, period! You'll never slap an end wrench again, so I wear gloves more than ever since that surgery. I liked Carhartt winter gloves for year round use for some years until my palm heel toughened slightly. As for gloves vs. keeping your nails- late Nov 2020 I was placing a 6x10 oak beam on my cabin projects foundation off a FEL and it had hung on a 3/4" J-bolt on a pier. I was bare handing it as the piers are level, ground is not so beam sat off level on forks and thus it need a shim to drop on the bolt-> which it did at the expense of my left middle finger. Ouch! I took one look at it and decided I needed to make the trip out of the woods to my truck and get it looked at so I might keep the finger for later use :D
It was sort of thin looking and as we know handling any size wood gloves can save a pinch when the glove gets caught, not our finger. Some lessons are never learned? 
I wore a freebie pair of the string knit gloves U-line sent me with another item around the m ill and they were great other than they do separate at the crease of your thumb. I'll research gloves here some, thanks. 

moodnacreek

Goat skin gloves for me.  With a fire burning in an old tank, rain, snow, wet lumber and slabs I keep a pair or 2 on the 'stove' and  synthetics melt.

kantuckid

I know operators, truckers, etc., like goat but way too thin for my hands.  

Tom King

I, and my men, like Anchor brand 101-1000 black dot gloves.   They used to be 15 dollars a dozen, but I just ordered a dozen, off ebay, for 27.

They're as comfortable as the cheap, unprotected palm brown cotton gloves, but the dot not only offer pretty good protection, but make them last many times longer.

We only wear leather gloves if absolutely necessary.  You do have to learn not to slide your hands on rough lumber, but that becomes natural pretty quickly.

I'd post a link, but think we're not supposed to post an ebay link.  Copy and paste   
 Anchor brand 101-1000 black dot gloves
in the search box on ebay.

I keep a couple of dozen in the truck, and keep dirty ones for working on equipment.

kantuckid

I'm an ebay regular but the safety equipment companies are (mostly) way cheaper on work gloves than any other sources I found. Amazon/ebay has a bunch of places who are resellers. Even with free shipping amazon is not always an automatic buy like my sons think...

Tom King

Yeah, I often find the free shipping on ebay, is cheaper than the free shipping on Amazon.

moodnacreek

Quote from: kantuckid on April 15, 2021, 08:04:03 AM
I know operators, truckers, etc., like goat but way too thin for my hands.  
Sounds like your thinking of drivers gloves and they are tight. There are work gloves of pig and goat skin. Goat is the best but hard to find and expensive. A good pair can last 3 weeks handling rough lumber. So they can be the cheapest in the long run and the best for comfort and drying.

LeeB

I wear leather gloves when I think to put any on. Usually Wells Lamont.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

You can get Goat skin gloves from Uline, and they aren't cheap no. Order a size larger though. I got large which I normally get and they are snug. Great for firewood when it is not freezing. When freezing cold insulated Wells Lamont. I don't care for pigskin, goes slippery when wet and dries real stiff. I do wear those webbed gloves, $3 a pair, use them when tying ribbons in the woods and hitting the buttons on my GPS when I measure ground. ...........erm just left the GPS on the bumper and drove for home, no GPS where it is suppose to be sitting in my console. Looked for it, no good. New one coming Monday, Garmin GPSMap64sx. Five Sir Robert Borden's later. You guys don't know who that was. Lots of Canadians don't know either, so don't lie. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tacotodd

SD, who's "Robert Borden"?
Trying harder everyday.

trapper

goat skin for me in walmart garden section.  I stock up when they go on sale in the fall.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

hamish

Sir Robert Borden was our last Prime Minister to ever be Knighted by the Crown. Was one hell of a politician and soul, was one of thew founding fathers of our countries path to somewhat independence aka our Confederation.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

barbender

Most of my gloves get retired from getting soaked with grease and hydraulic oil before they ever wear out, so I don't spend too much on them.

Bandmill Bandit

I have tried many gloves over the years and I tend to have a rather extensive collection of gloves to meet the demand of most applications that occur in the collection and processing of wood and related materials.

In Western Canada we have a Ag supply hardware  and feed store that has a good collection of farm related work wear branded as Harvest Gear.

My goto choice of gloves is the Flextime goat skin work gloves. They com in a regular unlined in either yellow or white with a mesh back that keeps your hand pretty much sweat free and they wear better than ANY other glove I have ever used.

Price can be as low as 12.99 on sale and up 21.99 regular price. They dont fall apart and they wear very evenly. Come in both mens and womens sizes and they last me at least a full season of steady milling and related work. I been using them for about 10 years now.

I wait till Red Tag sale days and buy 2 or 3 pair. Last year I paid 12.99ea for 3 pair and just put the second pair on about a week ago. Red Tag days are about to start and the Company has now completed a major merger into eastern Canada and the grand opening sale combined with red tag days starts on the 16th.

You can order on line.   Gloves & Mitts - Peavey Mart  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Tacotodd on April 15, 2021, 06:21:58 PM
SD, who's "Robert Borden"?
Not to go into his history, he's the face on the Canadian $100 bill. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I have tried various glove materials which included the coated cloth hybrids and none stop a blade tooth penetration as well as leather.  I keep several pairs of cheaper "farm" leather gloves for the sometime glove-less tailgunners but I generally wear pig or goat skin leathers.  Harbor Freight 's $6.00 gloves do very well.  I occasionally have to turn a glove thumb inside out and restitch it with dental floss.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kantuckid

I know Elsie Borden, the friendly cow, she kind of faded away. Did she wear work gloves? ???  We don't have "Sirs" among our politicos and *DanG certain none of ours wear work gloves! All the "sirs" in my world have a commission.  :D   Been there done that. For that matter the military now has some VG work gloves, far improved.

SwampDonkey

;D So, did you buy them old goat's gloves yet? :D

I wore a pair of goatskins today cutting wood, they are the Uline ones I bought before Christmas. They actually feel nice once you break them in for a day. I handle fir and spruce wood that is pitchy like pine, more so is the fir since it has lots of pitch blisters on the bark. Let ya know this fall after I bring it all into the house yard. Won't be pretty with all that pitch coating.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!