iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do most people want ERC?

Started by DixieReb31, April 15, 2021, 08:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DixieReb31

Do most people prefer when buying ERC to have slabs or as dimensional lumber?
I have several trees that I plan on cutting soon. I estimate the butt end to be 24".  What is the best way to mill these?
WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

Patrick NC

I sell a lot of cedar dimensional lumber and very few slabs. Slabs seem to sit around quite awhile before they sell and 1x6/1x8s sell immediately. Also sell a lot of 4x4s and 6x6s. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

KenMac

Since I have no storage room I don't saw cedar until it's ordered. Same for other species also. I would think that dimensional would sell quicker though.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

caveman

If we can get big cedar logs we do much better turning them into live edged slabs.  $2-3 b/f for dimensional and quite a bit more for good slabs.
Caveman

123maxbars

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Larry

Cedar logs I custom sawed today for a reseller.  4/4, 6/4, 8/4, and 12/4.  All of it was live edge but only one side.  I also sawed a bunch of 6 X 6's.  No idea where its going.

I'm sitting on a stash of cedar logs I got cheap.  Somebody will call and want something weird and I'll fix em right up. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thecfarm

Whatever size you don't have.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cedarman

Most common size by far is 1" x 6" x 8'.  
Spring time is great for selling 2x8x8 and 2x8x4 for raised beds. Also 2x6. This is where you can get rid of medium grade boards that have some ingrown and a few spots of rot that would make them unsuitable for furniture.
I leave a lot of our logs tree length and buck to length as needed.
Yesterday, a call for 4  5x5 x 18', Day before 9  5 1/2 x 5 1/2 x 14'.
Last night 3000 sq' of 9/16 x 4" by long T&G.
Also 40  3 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 8' very good for rafters in a gazebo. 
You never know what people will want until the phone rings.
15  S2S  3/4" x 5" x 8' and 17 square feet of clear 1" x 2" x 18", multiples of those dimensions works. I set the price to make me happy.  They are happy because they can get it .
You can keep cedar lumber on stickers for quite some time without degrade.  We use edging strips.  Cedar does not stain even if using fresh cedar edging strips.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

firefighter ontheside

I sawed some really nice live edge slabs of cedar a few years ago and ended up giving them away.  A few months ago I sawed a bunch of 1x6 and they sold so fast I didn't what had happened.  I just brought home a great load of logs yesterday.  My plan is to cut a whole lot of 1x6 to sell and from the larger logs cut some 8/4 slabs just to see if anyone wants them.  I will also cut some 2x6 for personal use to replace some deck boards at my house.  I imagine those would sell pretty well too.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

Whole cedar logs are used for high end porch uprights around here. I'd bet 1/2 logs would also sell. I don't saw much of it but lots of times my customers want it thin like 1/2" or such. Its a crap shoot. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

sometimes folks will see a chunk on the ground, and see a duck or rabbit image in the grain.  "are you going to just throw that away"?  I have moved much from a quarter inch to beams.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

moodnacreek

'Slabs' [they are not slabs] here also if the logs are big enough, put on sticks for a year or more, 2" thick. If small dia. logs; 6x6 is now in demand.  Sawing into boards is ok only in nice wood but because of flute and other holes I do little and on 'slabs' there is no edging and that saves a lot of work.

Magicman

Trailer load.

Trailer overloaded.

Of course I custom saw rather than sell but it is rare for a customer to ask for live edge.  It's usually as wide as the cant will square.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DixieReb31

WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

Thank You Sponsors!