iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaning gunk out of hydraulic box and frame

Started by Dan_Shade, April 16, 2021, 08:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

My hydraulics box is a bit messy.  Any recommendations for cleaning?

I don't want to damage the motor attached to the pump. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dan_Shade

I have some oil residue in there, makes it a bigger mess. 

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WV Sawmiller

Dump in some dry sawdust, rub it around as best you can and blow it out.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

I think it's not too hard to get the front panel of that off, can get in with a stick and a rag that way
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

A few years ago, I got a can of engine degreaser and sprayed the floor of the hydraulic housing, being careful not to spray anything that could be damaged.

A couple hours later I sprayed it out with the waterhose!

Never had a problem!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mike_belben

Face shield, long reach blow gun, 100+ psi.  

Everything else will get rained on but the box will clear out. 
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

TT,

I'm working on the assumption the hydraulic panel is the same as mine. Piece of cake to remove. Remove 2 short bolts and loosen 2 more and it slides right out. 
Howard Green

mike_belben

Is there a photo posted that im not seeing? 

I went from thinking is this a loader or skidder or sawmill to thinking how does howard think the OPs "it" is similar to his "it"??
Praise The Lord

Dan_Shade

It's on my LT-40

I like the Degreaser idea, it's a mild mess in there:  the breather cap blew off and it coated everything with ATF. 

Dan_Shade

btulloh

Engine cleaning gun. HF engine clean gun. Available from many sources. Really handy addition to the arsenal and only ten bucks. Like having a small very low pressure washer. 
HM126

barbender

I use a lot of brake cleaner on the logging equipment where you always have hydraulic oil and gunk to clean off of stuff, and that's what I'd probably use here as well. Spray it on, use a brush to get the grime loose if necessary and mop it up with the blue heavy duty paper towels I think everyone should keep a roll of where you are working (or a good supply of rags). As mentioned, the side panel on the enclosure comes off and makes access much easier. I have to do this myself as I just changed a hose, and also spilled some oil adding it to the reservoir because of a leaking hose😊 Do you know why your vent was overflowing?
Too many irons in the fire

Dan_Shade

I have a bad habit of letting gravity lower the arms when I have a cant or flitches on it, this seems to overflow the Reservoir. 

Magicman

Quote from: Dan_Shade on April 16, 2021, 12:11:16 PMI have a bad habit of letting gravity lower the arms when I have a cant or flitches on it, this seems to overflow the Reservoir.
I don't understand this statement??   smiley_headscratch  If the loader arms gradually lower with weight on them, you must have hydraulic cylinders that need rebuilding, but I do not leave the loader arms up when unattended or overnight.  I also do not understand the extra fluid that seems to overflow the reservoir?

To clean the hydraulic box, I use Simple Green, etc. and a water hose followed by a leaf blower.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

I dunno, doesn't make sense to me either... 

I tend to stack flitches in the arms, and sometimes I'll hit the down lever with the saw past the contact strip so that the blade guide arm has enough clearance.  I kinda figured that causes the oil to spill out.

Could be some other problem...

mike_belben

If your valve is good and your cylinder is not leaking externally, you can take the rod seal right out of a cylinder and itll only drift a bit then lock up as the pressure on each side of the piston face equalizes.    

For a cylinder to leak all the way down it has to be losing fluid externally, or bypassing back to tank through clearance space in the valve spool. 
Praise The Lord

Dan_Shade

It's not leaking down on its own, I use the valve...

Magicman

OK, but now back to the "leaking down" question and this is from me and unrelated to the sawmill.  My tractor FEL bucket gradually lowers.  I just figured that it was the cylinders? 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: mike_belben on April 16, 2021, 10:36:51 AM
Is there a photo posted that im not seeing?

I went from thinking is this a loader or skidder or sawmill to thinking how does howard think the OPs "it" is similar to his "it"??
Astute individual that I am and seeing this post in the "Sawmills and Milling" threads and knowing or at least trusting in human nature that Dan would not try to trick us up I worked on the basic assumption he was talking about his sawmill. In this instance I appear to have been right although you are correct I probably should have confirmed that fact before posting comments about accessing the box. And, yes, the inside of his hydraulic box looks basically like mine.

Howard Green

Dan_Shade

A friend of mine has a kubota, the FEL bucket will tilt up gradually after its parked.

Pretty annoying when it has forks installed. 

Magicman

Mine will also tilt upward but I was/am not blaming it on the "tilt" cylinders causing it.  My thought was that it was the longer "boom" cylinders gradually relaxing.  I do know that the FEL will gradually get lower but I need to mark the cylinder rods and find out exactly what is happening.

It's not causing me any "heartburn" which is why I have not done any investigation.  Your friends problem is probably mine.

KenMac

Quote from: Dan_Shade on April 16, 2021, 09:16:09 PM
A friend of mine has a kubota, the FEL bucket will tilt up gradually after its parked.

Pretty annoying when it has forks installed.
My Kubota B26 TLB's hydraulics leak down slowly. It's really the only complaint I have with the machine. I questioned the dealer about this-  very good dealer, by the way- and they eventually found out that leakage equalling 2" in 5 minutes is considered within specs. It has to do with the design of the valves I was told. Love the tractor but this is a minor nuisance.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Thank You Sponsors!