iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer lead time ridiculous. Looking for alternatives

Started by squarpeg, April 16, 2021, 11:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Quote from: barbender on April 16, 2021, 06:12:02 PM
I'm hoping to ride the ol' '97 out through all of this and then update on the backside when all the used mills start to flood the market😁
I like this idea and will be watching for a Lt40 super wide or even a wide 50 👍🏻
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

thecfarm

I work in a hardware store, getting stock and people who want to work into the store is VERY hard at this time. I have empty pegs and shelves through out the whole store. Not just me because of a small store. Had a customer that walked in and asked me if I have pvc outlet boxes. Yes, I said. He said good, because home depot has none. Now a week later, I can not get any.
Phone will ring for certain items and I know what they are doing, calling bunches of places trying to find a certain item. Good luck I tell them.
Than I have the customer that tells me I will order them off from your online store.  ::)   We are the online store!!!!
Most don't understand, someone has to make the product than businesses buy the product and gets it in the stores. No one making it, no one can buy it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

240b

frankly i really don't mind waiting, this is along term project.
 After looking at used equipment, i decided that it would be better to start with new 
stuff rather than something which has who knows what done to it. i could have ordered it the first week an January and be picking it up in two weeks, from today. but after doing more research I'm glad id not gone that route.
  i do think there will be a glut of used mills in two years. along with all the other stuff 
people borrowed money to have.  the amount of new trucks,rv's, boats, sxs, an other consumer goods i see daily is staggering. Most of these mills will be bought as for  hobby an as soon as people figure out its actual work they'll be done. Americans have a short attention span. The portable sawmill has become a consumer good not apiece of equipment for a business generally, not unlike the compact tractor.   

petefrom bearswamp

I know of an LT50 perkapillar for sale near me.
He reportedly has an offer but if it doesnt sell I will pay the fee and advertise here for him.
I dont think he is on this forum.
He is 85 with 2 bad hips and a wife with dementia
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

YellowHammer

Here's a good example I had a couple days ago.  A guy calls me from Florida and ask me if I sold sawmills.  I said, no, but why but does he ask?  He said he was building a huge house and was nearly $100,000 overrun because of the price of lumber and he wanted a small "starter" mill to saw his own lumber and finish his house.  He had some pine trees growing on the back yard, and was going to turn them into a house, PDQ.  He had no other plan than that, just that a sawmill would magically make lumber appear, so he wanted to buy one.

If many of the people who buy mills have the same mind set, then there will be an equally large surplus at the end of this and there will be lots of sawmills for sale with barely scratched paint.  I call it the toilet paper syndrome. The stuff was suddenly impossible to get, but people weren't pooping any more than usual.  It's just the way things are.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

Pete, that would be a nice gesture, and a good time to sell if he is done with it.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

dgdrls

Quote from: squarpeg on April 16, 2021, 11:33:03 AM
 Well finally got the money to buy a mill for this summer. Was going to buy the woodmizer LT15 on a trailer with power feed, or the LT28 with power feed.  They told me 55 weeks on the LT28 or 44 weeks on the LT15.. Why are they even advertising? I have to find something else.  Is this an industry issue? Thoughts on a different equivalent mill? Thanks
Look to FF sponsor EZ Boardwalk,
where are you located?  other options available
from smaller builders who are more regional
but every bit a quality machine

D

Magicman

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 17, 2021, 08:28:52 AMA guy calls me ........... and ask me if I sold sawmills.
I am getting those calls almost daily.  I offered mine again yesterday for $55K.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

squarpeg

QuoteLook to FF sponsor EZ Boardwalk,
where are you located?  other options available

Will look at that. I am in Vermont.

Tom King

doc henderson

MM things are so crazy, I would add 5k to that number every week.  at 75k someone will prob. buy it.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

stavebuyer

Quote from: squarpeg on April 17, 2021, 09:44:12 AM

QuoteLook to FF sponsor EZ Boardwalk,
where are you located?  other options available

Will look at that. I am in Vermont.
@squarpeg If I was in the Northeast and shopping for a manual mill the Thomas Band Mills built in Maine would be on my short list. Don't know if their waiting list is any shorter but they build a simple and sturdy mill.

mart

This all reminds me of the joke about buying a car in Russia.

Seems a man had worked hard and was diligent with his savings and could finally afford to buy a car. He went to the dealership and bought a car. The dealer told him it would be delivered two years from next Tuesday. The buyer asked if it would be morning or afternoon for the delivery. The dealer asked why it mattered. The buyer said, "because the plumber is coming that morning."
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

farmfromkansas

I am watching a late model lt40 on the Bigiron auction site.  It is nearly at new price, and has more than 2 weeks to go.  They sold a TK 1220 a few weeks ago for 8600.  About Cooks, called about power feed for my MP32, have yet to hear back.  They must be going crazy there with everyone ordering a mill.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

TKehl

Good, fast, cheap...  Pick two.  

I ordered an EZ Boardwalk in January and told July delivery.  I sold my little band mill and a circle mill to appease the bettervhalf, and this would give me something to look forward to after all of these 70-hour weeks I'm putting in at the J.O.B. (Have to put in the hours as the company can't seem to hire anyone. A lot of interviews scheduled, half the people never even show up.  Of the ones that have shown up, most turned down our offer or told us they'd already got another job in the couple days between interview and offer...)

With the overtime not letting up anytime soon, even though it was supposed to, I thought about selling my spot in line... Then I heard new orders place now with EZ Boardwalk are around 12 months out...  Guess I will keep it.    ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

DixieReb31

So, I just paid out of pocket just under $25k for a LT35. I waited 20 weeks and took delivery this past Monday. Think I could sell it for $35k?  If so, Hmmmm?
WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

Woodpecker52

Local Catfish processing plant in Greenwood will pay a $5 bonus per hour all you have to do to get it is show up for work on time and work a 40 hour week, as of this date no one has qualified for the bonus.  No wonder big business wants
 to allow un fettered immigration.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

squarpeg

Ok in conclusion to the original post. I have contacted every sponsor and followed up on every recommendation sent me. With the exception of woodland mills which gave me a july 31 date.  I can not find a single new mill that would be ready till sometime late fall best. So that is the answer. The woodland mill seems a little smaller then what I had originally intended to buy. My guess is the project will not happen this summer unless I can find a used one. I have seen a few used but not driving 1500 miles for one either. So that's it. Thanks for the recommendations.

Tom King

I ordered two platform ladders from a Lowes Black Friday sale-still not here.

I ordered a new Welder about a month ago, with the supposed delivery date last Friday-not shipped yet.

Last week, I ordered a 6' zero turn mower-delivery predicted June 29th-we'll see.

squarpeg

Ok in conclusion to this thread. I could not find a new mill in stock to purchase. I spent the last 2 weeks attempting to buy used mills that came up of any kind that were not junk and missed out on most. Fortunately today I scored a Norwood 36HD with the trailer package. 7.5K and I do consider myself fortunate, seems to be in good shape. Now the fun begins.

VB-Milling

Quote from: squarpeg on May 05, 2021, 12:19:40 PM
Ok in conclusion to this thread. I could not find a new mill in stock to purchase. I spent the last 2 weeks attempting to buy used mills that came up of any kind that were not junk and missed out on most. Fortunately today I scored a Norwood 36HD with the trailer package. 7.5K and I do consider myself fortunate, seems to be in good shape. Now the fun begins.
Congratulations on navigating the market.  Good luck with your new Norwood.
HM126

maple flats

Quote from: btulloh on April 16, 2021, 01:50:38 PM
Mapleflats just put a swingmill up for sale on here. Wonder how long before somebody jumps on that.
Update, it lasted 3 weeks, sold to another FF member.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Oliver05262

Tom King, I also ordered a new welder (Miller Bluestar) on April 5. As of last Friday, AirGas store was told it would go on a truck this past Monday, but it's not here yet. Miller is trying their best to get them out the door, but they have the same issues as everyone else. I started to get mad about it but that won't do any good. It sucks that the price seems to have gone up $225 since I ordered it, though.
 The welding supply companies around here seem to have sold all of what little they had for floor stock. I would move up to a Bobcat or a Lincoln Ranger if anyone had one within a reasonable distance, but no luck there, either. My old Bluestar 6000 is still going, so I'm OK for now.
   Update——way late. I got one too many no-show delivery dates ☹️, so I went looking at other dealers for a welder. Maine Oxy had a Bobcat 225 up in Maine, and shipped it in their regular distribution to Rutland, so no shipping charges, and it now rides in the back of my service truck. I'm very happy with the machine and the way the process went, and I even saved a little on the cost as their price was better. 😀
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

MrRastos

I've had a 12 foot bed extension on order from Woodmizer since February and have no idea when it will ever be done. Even blades and parts are a problem. I'm at the stage where I'm trying to find a blade profile that works for me and at this rate it will take years. It isn't just Woodmizer either. I've had a King 15 inch planer on order for three months and no idea if I'll have it this year. 

No one wants to work anymore. Sometimes I wonder why I keep on trying myself.
LT50G38 Wide, Hakki 1x37 easy, 1994 Kubota M8030, Farma 5.3- T8, Timberjack 225D, Kubota KX080-4 with Arbro 400 stroke head, IH 444 diesel, IH 434 gas, Volvo clunker dump truck, 2003 F550, 562 Husky, 555 Husky, 272 Husky. 261cm arctic Stihl.

Chuck White

Easy unemployment makes it to easy to decide not to work!

Figuring it out, I know a young man (2 years out of highschool) who is making about $25.00/hr based on an 8hr day on unemployment and won't take a job paying $18-20/hr.

A big share of the problem is the Gov't paying too much unemployment!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!