iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re sawing twisted 8x8

Started by 711ac, April 16, 2021, 08:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

711ac

My sawing experience is short so is there a secret making the first cut trying to "split" the twist to save as much of the beam, or should I just lay it down and cut?
These are just spruce, but there probably 10+ years old and have been stored inside, on concrete and were free. Most of them are over 20' long. I'm building a sawmill building 37' (the length of the steel bar joists I ran into) by 40'. They will be the posts supporting the bar joists, one post under each end with the joists 4' centers.

doc henderson

on your first cut, I would place wedges on opposite corners that are lifted to an equal amount on the first cut, then flip 180° and make a second cut.  then turn 90° and square the top, cut and flip 180° and cut the opposite side. the final size will be determined by the amount of twist.  i have felling wedges and plastic window/door wedges.  (shims)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

Just as Doc said.  The wedges on opposite corners will split difference in the amount of twist you have and waste the least amount possible.  Since you're gonna build a building with these, you're probably going to want them all the same size and an easy size to measure.  I would pick the next smallest size you can get out of them such as 5 1/2 x 5 1/2.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Brad_bb

I make a lot of small wood wedges on my table saw.  I make a lot because they get lost or swept up with sawdust and into the burn pile.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

I make custom wedges when needed.  the felling wedges and the window shims are plastic and can stay outside by the mill.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Brad_bb

I have also put the really strong magnets from FastCap in the wedges so that they stay in place on the mill and won't vibrate out.  I counterbore into the wedge and use FastCap's 2P10 superglue with the instant curing spray.  Also good for storing them on the mill head or on the mill.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

Brad you have some of the best ideas!

sealark37

A twisted 8x8 post seems to work just as well as a straight one in a sawmill shed.

711ac

Thanks fellas, this splitting the twist is what I was thinking was obvious, but you never know. That's why I asked you seasoned sawyers. 
I do know that I want them true or the twist with bother you all the way up with each wall girt and brace/joint. 

doc henderson

If people who are clients see a twisted post, tell them it costs more for the twist.  I sold/traded/gave away some pine posts and a beam.  told them it was wet and would split, twist, and crack as it dried.  they said no problem.  now they want to know what to do to fix them.  I told them i can straighten on the mill.  He does automotive body work so he wanted to twist them back straight.   :D :D :D  he does not want them to be smaller.  I had already cut the beam down from a large beam.

Brucer

I had a good little sideline going, straightening twisted beams for people (well, I was actually resawing them). Like everyone else who's commented, I would wedge the opposite corners. For anything less than 3/8" of twist I like to use plastic putty knives to wedge them. The kind I buy have a tapered stiffening flange along each side that grips the wood a little better than a flat wedge.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

thecfarm

Quote from: 711ac on April 16, 2021, 08:12:37 PM
My sawing experience is short    
These are just spruce, but there probably 10+ years old and have been stored inside,  
On my!!! I do hope others read this!! I cut some spruce with 10° because I did not know better. What a mess!! :o On well good wood for the OWB. They was all wavy and I do mean wavy. I am only a hobby sawyer. So I just stay away from spruce now. I only have a handful of trees on my land anyways. 
Than the stored inside for 10 years will make them harder to saw too. Or I think it would.
I think 7° blades work better. I will stick with hemlock and EWP.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

711ac

I have a hard to with free, and he even delivered them. 
Fingers crossed that I can square them back up. It's a respectable pile of wood (for the money)😆

Don P

Nice Gehl, which one is it?

Remle

?? do you really need to square up the post ?? If you are not going to be finishing off the interior of the building, pick the best face and straighten it up for the girts to lay on and leave the other three sides alone. IMHO 99 percent of people won't even notice the difference and the 1 percent will be a pain in your backside if you deal with them, show them the way out .

711ac

Quote from: Don P on April 18, 2021, 08:07:29 AM
Nice Gehl, which one is it?
7800, my little jaw dropper for those who have never seen a large frame SS. 5 ton and 115hp.👍

711ac

Remle I'm sure you're right, I'll see how the sawing go's but I'm retired and have been building all my life and this one could possibly be one of my last, I'm afraid that I'll regret not putting a few more days?? of effort into it later on. Not that I'm sick or anything but producing work for large national builders (for most of my working life) that ONLY care about price and an "ok" job,
I'm done looking the other way. 👍

Thank You Sponsors!