iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garden boxes.

Started by Dave Shepard, April 18, 2021, 02:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I'm curious what people are making garden boxes out of. Around here it seems to be black locust or hemlock. It's hard to get a decent locust saw log. Hemlock I have a hard time believing is worth it, but people are convinced it's bug and rot resistant. I'd like to use knotty pine, because that's something I can get plenty of.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Patrick NC

Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

69bronco

I've got a 4'x20' made out of full 2" thick hemlock. It's 5 years old and rotted out. My white cedar boxes are around 10 years and still functioning, but not for long. The cedar boxes were roughly 8" logs sawed top and bottom and split down the middle, so roughly 4"x5" stacked live edge out. I don't have any locust or that's what I'd be using. We have a quite a few raised beds and I have started making them out of roofing steel with treated 2x4 exterior frames. Hope that helps.

SwampDonkey

Pine tar it, whatever it is. Cedar though is good in itself, even northern white. I'd still pine tar it, mixed with turpentine to get it soaked in.

Flats for seedlings - YouTube

Pine tar is a hell of a thing - YouTube
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bruno of NH

I have hemlock ones on my front yard made of hemlock.
10 years old.
I haven't built one this year.
To many sawing orders.
I have black locust this year that's been sawn out.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

tmbrcruiser

I sell quite a few 8/4"x12"x16' cypress this time of year for garden boxes. I switched my garden to raised boxes about four years ago, all go so far.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Stephen1

I have sold 35 raised Pine planters kits, it's what I have a lot of for free. I have orders for another 20 which we will make this week. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Dave Shepard

Any thoughts on charring the inside of the box and using white pine? (Shou sugi ban). 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

taylorsmissbeehaven

I like the idea of charring the inside of the box. I need to redo mine and have plenty of pine but worry about longevity. Ill be watching this thread for more info!! Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Jjoness4

I have sawed several white oak raised bed boxes at the customer's request.
I sure hated to see clear 8/4 white oak used for that purpose but they didn't blink at what I had to charge them.
2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

Percy

I build mine out of yellow cedar....it only grows along the pacific coast....after the tree is dead ,it dont rot.

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

doc henderson

our ERC boxes are hanging in there year 2.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

RichTired

I use SYP as I have more of it than others species. 

But I think they will last longer than some of the boxed store's 'cedar' ones due to construction methods. 
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Don P

Someone mentioned having access to leyland cypress. No experience but I suspect it would do better than pine or hemlock. We went over to the dark side at the school and used trex.

Fern Wood

Larch if you can find some.

Mountain_d

Quote from: taylorsmissbeehaven on April 20, 2021, 07:24:54 AM
I like the idea of charring the inside of the box. I need to redo mine and have plenty of pine but worry about longevity. Ill be watching this thread for more info!! Brian
What is the method to char the wood? Propane torch or some other way?
Mountain 
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Bruno of NH

Propane long handle rosebud 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Fern Wood on April 21, 2021, 07:10:03 PM
Larch if you can find some.
It's hard to find, like decent black locust. 

Peter Drouin

I don't make them, But have a lot of customers who want my lumber to make garden boxes and raised garden beds.
Two customers are doing the raised beds thing and selling them with my lumber. W Pine and Hemlock, 1" & 2"  4" to 12" wide. 
Some will pay for the W Oak not many.

It all Good to see people buying wood and planting food  8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!