iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade guide felt washers

Started by Dan_Shade, April 19, 2021, 09:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Anyone know the purpose of the felt washers in woodmizer blade guides?

I'm curious....

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

My thought is that they keep the water/lube from the bearings.  I normally give each side of the blade guides a squirt of ATF which saturates the felts before each sawing day.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

I would think more along the lines of keeping fine sawdust out, sort of like the foam filter liner on small engines? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

donbj

Just a barrier to keep crap out of the bearing. Magic Man's idea of atf on them is a good one.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

D6c

My older LT40 had greasable bearings with felt.  I changed it to sealed bearings and elimeated the felt.

Magicman

No, the oiled felts come installed in new blade guide rollers and also in replacement bearing kits.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

??  They are behind the washer/nut, etc. and don't wear out.

jpassardi

I believe they are available separately. I think MM is right - to reduce lubewater entry.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Dave Shepard

I went 1057.8 hours on the original rollers. Bearings are sealed. I think the felt just keeps debris out. Bearings and felt were fine, just had some wear on the rollers. Never did anything to them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Bruno of NH on April 20, 2021, 08:00:46 AM
Can you just by the felts ?
P04252 white felt washer 37 cents, goes in back against the circlips
P06455 gray felt washer 35 cents goes in front against the bearing
last probably as long as the bearings, but they can get nasty and are cheap.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!