iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Overcomplicated top

Started by flip, December 14, 2006, 04:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

My parents are moving into a different house and now mom has a dedicated computer room.  My father, wanting to put his special touch on the house, insists on making her a computer/media desk.  I have some hard maple in the kiln which will contrast the dark cherry flooring nicely so hard part to me is done, wood type is selected.  The guys doing the work on the house have added their 2 and 4 cents and have him in a state of confusion ::).  The game plan is to use a sheet of 3/4  cabinet grade ply and attach-glue-screw-or nail the maple to the ply.  I just moved my shaper to his new shop and said we should just tongue and groove some 3" stuff and nail it to the top then use a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 to the edge for banding and do a round over.  Over kill?  I'd rather just edge glue plane and put some legs under it but he inists it's not heavy enough.  Any ideas? 
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

beenthere

flip
I'm not following the story very well. I'm lost with who is doing what and don't see how thick the 'edge-glued' material (hard maple?) is.  Apparently there are three suggestions as to how to build?
Sorry to be confused.  ::) But it doesn't sound like the "hard part" for you is 'done'.   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

2" would be plenty heavy.  ;D  What about "breadboarding" the ends, then rounding all the top edges ???  That would be easy enough to do.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Sprucegum

Is your hard maple only 1/4 inch thick already? If so you are on the right track with glueing it to the ply. If not cut yet why not go 5/4 thick , edge glue it together and you got your top. The strenght you need to carry a heavy load(books or whatever) is supplied by the legs and rails. Or drawer modules.

I know - clear as mud  :(

metalspinner

A 4/4 top is plenty heavy for a computer desk.  If you take the wood movement into account when the top is attached there should not be any troubles with seasonal movement.  As mentioned by Sprucegum, the aprons will give strength to the top.

If you go with 8/4 or even 6/4 a trestle design can be used without aprons. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

JimBuis

I'm not sure I follow all of the details, but if you are talking about glueing solid maple to plywood, I wouldn't do that.  The solid wood will expand and contract at different rates than the relatively more stable plywood.  Over time, the maple will crack.

IMHO,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

flip

That is dad's plan.  I would rather not use any type of underlayment and just go with the solid top.  The maple I have is all at a heavy 1 1/8 and dry, I guess I can probably get 11/16" finished.  Breadboards are fine and I am still considering them.  I really think 1 1/2 is too much for a table top  no longer than 7 foot long 24" deep.  It will have the computer hung underneath, flat panel, fax/printer on top.  Not much weight.  The trick here is that there are no right angles in the house and one end will go into a 60 degree corner and make a dog leg of about an extra 2'.  I think I'll piddle this weekend and maybe get a couple of pics. to show you what I have to work with.

Flip

Larry

You might consider incorporating a keyboard tray or multi-level top for mom's comfort.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

The keyboard tray is a must.  Also, if you have dry maple at 1 1/8' thick, you should have no problem planing to 3/4" or maybe even 13/16" if the boards are reasonably straight.  Plus, you are not going to see the top from the bottom anyway.  I made a computer desk out of cherry - turned out nice.  Also made a filing cabinet to match.  I will post a pic if you are interested.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

flip

pigman

This is something I through together a while back. It is all cherry except the 1/4in ply back. It has the pull out keyboard tray and a pull out shelf on the right side. The top is just 3/4in and seems to be plenty strong. Of course, the way I built the desk the top is supported in four places. On top of the desk is my new computer which is giving me fits trying to figure out all the new and different things.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

Wow Pigman,

That is one gorgeous desk.  Mine won't measure up to that !! 

I play music, and whenever I hear someone play who is really good, I say that I am going to quit given the comparison of me to them (but I never do!).  I have the same feeling looking at your desk.  Nice job.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

I like your desk to...its attractive and looks well thought out.  Hope my boss doesn't see the picture or I'll have another project to complete.

I know what's wrong with your computer...it's tuned in to the wrong channel. ;D

What's that funny little stool thingy?  Is that something for Bob the cripple? :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

pigman

QuoteWhat's that funny little stool thingy?
Larry, that is a little slant top stool that I put my feet on to lean back in my chair while I am waiting for the slow dialup to download. ::)  The leaning back causes me to be so far from the monitor that I have to increase the text size to the maximum to be able to read anything. I think I should have bought a larger monitor. ;D I guess I could slide the monitor closer, but then I wouldn't have any room for my food.

Bob the cripple, but getting better

Norm

Bob something you just throw together involves 2x4's and a framing hammer. ;D

Beautiful desk! :)

Tom

You sure do keep it neat and clean. :-\

SwampDonkey

I sure wish I had one of Bob's stool's to elevate my ailing leg (knee) while sit'n at the 'puter. Ever try to stand up straight after sitting in a desk chair for a couple hours and realize the knee just turned stiff on ya?  :( argg!!
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

I did a little housekeeping before I took the picture.  ;D Now I don't know what to do with the tall stack of papers and other junk I removed. ::)  Donk, the stool was easy to make. ;)

Bob

SwampDonkey

One project at a time.  ;D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Flip,

Here is the pic of my desk.  Not nearly as refined as Pigmans!

It is a simple student desk design.  The middle drawer is a pull-out keyboard.  The desk is 30" high.  The top is 3/4" thick, 58" long, and 27 1/2 " deep.  Files are kept in a separate filing cabinet to maximize freedom of movement under the desk.

SwampDonkey

[img]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/14370/Re-sized%20Cherry%20Desk.jpg [/img]

WDH, modify your post with this code. I'de do it, but ya gotta learn. Don't use spaces in filenames please, that's why '%20' gets substituted in the postings and then we can't do a picture search for the thread behind the picture. ;)

WDH

pigman

WDH, I like your desk. It has nice clean lines. 8)  I put big drawers in mine to hide all the junk that I seem to accumulate. ::) They give me a place to put all the stuff so I can take a picture. ;)

Messy Bob

Patty

Nice work you guys.  ;)   

What kind of wood is your desk WDH ?
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Norm

WDH that is a beautiful desk!  :)

Thank You Sponsors!