iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

l53

Started by Joey Grimes, March 30, 2016, 09:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

I know I would not be able to make a living doing concrete work I've probably got 30 hours in dirt work building forms and the slab
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

xlogger

Doing ok Danny, got some 8/4 Ambrosia Maple slabs in now. Check them this morning and still in upper teens, but getting very little water in bucket now. I open the door a couple times a day to keep it down around 120°, probably open the vents a little tomorrow.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

I am drying 9/4 and I am getting little water and having to vent wide open.  It is very hard to coax the water from the 9/4. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Joey Grimes

Got some walls up today .

94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Joey Grimes

Got started on the roof today man its hot!!

Joey Grimes

Decking and tar paper done. 

xlogger

You have your walk in door in the front of the kiln. I put my walk in door on the back near the wall so I could walk in behind the stack. If you use the full length of the kiln will you be able to get in the kiln?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Joey Grimes

It's a out swing door it will be right at the edge of stack

Joey Grimes

If you come into your chamber from behind your stack wouldn't your baffle board be in the way?

xlogger

You can't stand up straight. I have a shelve about 6 ft high with 4 extra fans that I lay pieces of 8 ft installation board on the edge and it rests on top of the stack. Most problems I have is with the MM finding an area to drive probes in. Sometimes I just have to slid a installation board over out of the way. But I can walk around easy behind the stack.

xlogger

I got to thinking about it last night, as long as you can get behind the stack you should be fine. But you need to get back there to fill WB wick along with other things. Sometimes I just take a small piece of slab or whatever in the door and lean it on the wall to dry out while I'm drying a load. I have to go in my kiln about ever day to open or close the back vent. I need to order their power vents.

Glenn1

Quote from: xlogger on May 03, 2016, 06:16:09 AM
I got to thinking about it last night, as long as you can get behind the stack you should be fine. But you need to get back there to fill WB wick along with other things. Sometimes I just take a small piece of slab or whatever in the door and lean it on the wall to dry out while I'm drying a load. I have to go in my kiln about ever day to open or close the back vent. I need to order their power vents.

;D
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

YellowHammer

If you mount the vents on the inside wall, so they open up to the inside, with the little screw handles facing outside, there is no need to go into the kiln to open them.  Then use a second vent, remove the opening mechanism, and mount it to the outside wall as a simple flip up cover to protect the kiln from rain.  Basically two vents, on the same opening, only one opens mechanically to the inside from the outside, the other just a weather guard. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Joey Grimes

I got finished with roof yesterday 

Joey Grimes

I got back to work on kiln today got my doors built and hung .

WDH

Looking good.  Are you going to use the enclosed trailer door cam lock kit to tightly close the doors against the seals?

Joey Grimes

That's the plan .Did you get your seals from nyle?

YellowHammer

Nyle includes a Cam Lock kit now? 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If you use canvas baffles instead of plywood or other rigid material, you can move around easier.

Make sure that the man-door can be opened from the inside as well as outside so you do not get locked in. 

Flashing over the top of all doors is a good idea in order to keep rain and ice off.

Old fire hose makes a good gasket.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Joey Grimes

I don't think nyle  offers a cam lock I found one on amazon though.

WDH

You can get the cam door kit from etrailer.com, not Nyle.

Yes, I got the seal kit from Nyle.  Expensive, but works very well.  I get a great seal. 

xlogger

Amazon sells the locks also.

Joey Grimes

I got my vent openings framed and installed powered vent I'm not sure how to close outside vent covers with the aluminum louvers on the inside? 

Joey Grimes

Insulating done today just lack 2nd layer on doors

Thank You Sponsors!