iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

l53

Started by Joey Grimes, March 30, 2016, 09:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

I've just about got inside of my chamber ready to build shelf for unit looking at manual it dosent specify if my power outlet should be inside chamber or inside controler box I assume in control box I do plan on having lights on inside should junction box for those be in control box ?

94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

YellowHammer

Make as many electrical junctions outside the kiln as possible.  High humidities, high temperature and lots of flammable material inside the kiln chamber are not a good place to have possible electrical arcs....
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

For the most efficiency, you will need some supplemental fans to the two fans in the L53 Unit, so add a circuit for these, too.  Like YH, I would have all the electrical outlets in the control box. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Joey Grimes

Controller box done and shelf for unit. Need to mount dB an wb thermoter should they be on the pressure side of the baffle?
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

WDH

You are going to have to put water in the bottle that supplies water to the wick for the wet bulb probe, and at least for me, I have to add water daily, so put the probes in a place where there is convenient access. 

The controller is not supposed to freeze, so take that into account.  I have a light bulb in the controller box to supply heat when it is cold. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Joey Grimes

More progress on the kin

WDH

Nice job on the doors.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Most people mount the compressor on the floor and not on the wall. :D :D
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Joey Grimes

I was a little worried about vibration from the unit so I clamped the unit to the shelf with c clamps

WDH

Mine does not vibrate.  Runs very smooth.

YellowHammer

Here's a suggestion, or at least something to watch out for.  Since the intake and the exhaust are several feet off the ground, since the unit is on the pedestal stand, the lower levels of the stack of lumber will not get the airflow as the area in the immediate proximity of the intake.  So there is a tendency to get a dead air spot directly under the unit, where the base of the stand is located, and blocks airflow.  Visualize the airflow loop between the intake return and exhaust fans, and the bottom of the lumber stack gets short circuited and the air has no reason to pass through. So I cut a rectangular opening through the bottom sheet metal of the unit, under the evaporator, and placed a range top mesh filter over the hole to make another intake.  The suction air can now come through the face of the unit as well as the bottom of the unit and stand, and suck out the dead spot.

Adding another intake return opening will also increase the airflow over the evaporator, by reducing the pressure drop, and increase the moisture removal capacity of the unit a little bit.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Glenn1

I also have the power vent with the crank that closes the vent on the inside of the kiln.  I use 1" foam insulation and insert it into the outside sleeve of the vent.  It gives a tight fit when I am doing the sterilization cycle.  It will be especially helpful when the temperatures turn cooler. 
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

WDH

Joey,

Following up on what Yellowhammer said about cutting an opening in the bottom of the unit to allow even drying on the bottom layers, I, too, followed his advice and it greatly improved the efficiency of the unit.  I got about a 20% increase in water removal, and the consistency of the moisture contents of the layers from top to bottom significantly improved.  Here are a couple of pics of the mod I made on my L53.

First pic is looking up from the bottom of the table that the L53 unit sits on.  I cut about a 12" x 12" square opening in the table bottom, and a corresponding sized opening in the sheet metal in the bottom of the unit directly below the evaporator.  The size opening was determined by the size of the range hood mesh filter.

The second pic is looking at the front of the unit with the front mesh filter removed.  You can see the new opening with the range hood mesh filter directly below the evaporator. 

I used a simple wooden frame to attach the filter to the bottom of the L53 unit.  Works like a charm.   

xlogger

I'll have to take a look at doing that with my 53, Danny does the weigh of the wood holds the filter in place?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

Ricky,

No.  There is a rabbet, like on a picture frame, that the filter sits in. 

Joey Grimes

Thanks for the advice. I did test unit out this weekend and everything checked out good except for my power vent when it turned off the luvers didn't close I had to bump housing to make them close.I looked at home center to find some seals for the doors but wasn't satisfied with what I found so I'm going to order seals from nyle. I'm planning to go to the kiln operater class at nc state in October if anyone is interested in going I would share travel cost looks like it's a 9 hour trip for me.

Thank You Sponsors!