iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A letter from Iraq

Started by Jeff, September 22, 2005, 02:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

One of our Sponsors, Forest Insurance Center Agency has had one of thier agents in Iraq for almost a year. Bill Blakemore is a friend of mine. I wanted to share this letter from him.

SEPTEMEBER 21, 2005

Hello all members, families & friends with the Michigan Association of Timbermen!

As my unit approaches the final 90 days of deployment, I have a sense of joy knowing that soon I will be home with family and friends. At the same time I am saddened by knowing that this experience will soon end! I have experienced some great joy and pain over the past year. The most joy is to see the people of Iraq happy to see the country becoming a more democratic country. The vast majority of the Iraqi people want the US to help. It has been a great experience to see the children at the cities and villages I have visited around the country.

Since I last wrote I have seen the majority of Iraq either by convoy or by a Blackhawk helicopter. I have also had the great experience of flying on a C-23 SHERPA Army Airplane! This is an Army turboprop airplane that flys "map of the earth". In other words they fly about 100 feet off the ground and fast. Needless to say I had to reach for the bag several times. But I was not alone. After flying a dozen times on these planes, I am now use to the flights.

Back in May I was able to take the 15 day leave offered to all Army people in country. I was able to get home just in time for my daughter Jessica's high school graduation. Jessica is now attending Olivet College on close to a full ride scholarship. My son Billy is doing well! He will graduate high school this next year. I was also able to spend a couple of days in my old home town of Indian River. Thank you John Fowler for the hospitality!!!

As it stands right now, we are scheduled to leave Iraq the first part of December. I can't give the exact date, because of operational security. As the date gets closer, I will make the announcements! After our unit flies out of Iraq, we will spend a few days back in Kuwait to go through the standard briefings. We will than to Ft. McCoy for final processing. It's too soon to tell but we may fly from Ft. McCoy to Grayling. The flight will depend on availability by the Air Force. Once back in Grayling we will have a formation and be released. I will have approx. 18-20 days of terminal leave. I am looking to be back at Forest Insurance Center the week after New Years.

I am looking forward to the day I get out to the woods and the mills to visit the members. I save the best stories for the days I visit!  I will have many stories to tell!

Take care.

Bill Blakemore
Agent (deployed)
Forest Insurance Center Agency, Inc.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ronwood

Jeff,

Its nice to hear from some of the folks over there. All we seem to hear on the news is the bad stuff.  Give Bill our regards if hear from him again.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Ernie

Jeff

Nice letter

Thanks for sharing
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

submarinesailor

From a retired old sailor, "Job Well Done!" 8) 8) 8)  And please keep your head down until you actually leave.

Bruce/subsailor

thedeeredude

Thank you for what you and your buddies are doing over there. W support you and pray for your safe return.

Sprucegum

Contrary to what my politicians would have you believe, I support what you are doing and respect you immensely for doing it.
I wish we could help more.

Jeff

I would prefer not to have this particular thread become a political conversation. Bill is my friend and I am proud of him.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Vermonter

I always take the opportunity to thank the members of our armed services for their service, so I would appreciate you passing that along.
New homestead

Corley5

It must have been Bill senior that was my drivers ed instructor 8) 8) way back when.  They had a place near Burt Lake in Downtown I.R. that he donated to be part of the township park.  Next time you talk to Bill ask him about his dad and thank him for his service for me :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

BW_Williams

Hey Jeff, next time y'all see Bill shake his hand for me!  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Norm

Thank you for updating us on what Bill's been up to Jeff.

We sure appreciate your hard work and service Bill, and thanks to your family and company too. :)

Captain

We deeply appreciate the sacrifice that our soldiers are making for us in Iraq, Afganastan and around the globe.

I had a difficult time on Wednesday night visiting the family of my close friend Sgt Jamie Gray (whom we lost in Iraq in June of 04) to get my first load of hay for the year.  I've been buying hay from the family for the horses for a few years.  In fact we are feeding the hay right now that was mowed to prepare for his funeral on the farm.
Jamie's father showed me a converted gun cabinet that he retrofitted with shelves to hold the memories of his son.  He showed me the flags sent by his divison, by the Governor, and the quilt made by the wives in the unit in Jamie's honor.  His medals.  The Division's "yearbook", dedicated to Jamie and the 3 others lost in their time there.  He showed me a picture of the monument that was installed last month at his National Guard base in Colchester, VT.  He then gave me some decals that they made up to put on your vehicle in memory of Jamie.  The support to the Gray Family has been outstanding.

Thanks to Bill and all others that have truly put their lives on hold and on the line for the sake of freedom and democracy.  Prayers for the families that have suffered the ultimate loss.  We are deeply appreciative.

Captain

stumpy

Bill,
The country owes you and your fellow soldiers a big "THANK YOU"!!!
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Patty

Thanks Jeff.......most of all thanks to our brave men serving this great country of ours.  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

tnlogger

jeff thank you for the update  :)
gene

oldsaw

That is most definitely a "real guy".  Best of luck to him and his family.  May he soon make sawdust on home turf.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Thank You Sponsors!