iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben, July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

I suspect those are oil filled roller bearings.  Youd see a fill plug if so.  If theres a zerk its grease.
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Quote from: mike_belben on July 15, 2019, 07:30:16 AM
I suspect those are oil filled roller bearings.  Youd see a fill plug if so.  If theres a zerk its grease.
The whole roller bearing assembly is greased from a central zerk fitting.  I had a client meeting from 3-8 yesterday and so could not go back over to see it.  I'll be there in a bit and clean the belly pan while I'm at it, nothing like seeing grease boiling to make you want to reduce fire risk.  I have an outstanding recall on the machine so maybe they will pickup and take a look for me.  
Liking Walnut

caveman

While delivering trusses to JMoore on Saturday the right rear brake locked up.  It would release after backing up.  We tore into it Saturday afternoon and found the brake shoe came apart and a piece was getting wedged between the brake and the drum.

Caveman

Oliver05262

Time to revive this old thread. (second try).
Farmer called me to replace the turbo on his CAT 924 loader. He took the turbo off and sent a guy to Milton to swap for a reman unit. I get to put the reman on------and stand behind the whole job. He also cleaned the loader up for me...not.

Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Oliver05262

I have another job going for this customer. And he's got a shop full of jobs in progress. New Holland Lx885 skidsteer with a drive problem on one side. I rented the cab jack from the dealer and pulled the left drive motor and then the gearbox. Those units are at the dealer for teardown and estimate. I think the motor will be exchanged since the splines on the shaft and the coupler are really worn, and may be slipping by. The gearbox teardown is mostly for resealing, but it may need bearings. The drive chains and sprockets are in good shape.
The machine is parked between a pair of overhead doors. The ceiling light got readjusted when I jacked the cab and it went over center. No damage--yet.

Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

BargeMonkey

I had to do a 4-wire drive hose in a LS170 last fall, if your bigger than a midget its not a fun job 🤣 I did a 1-1/4 5' hose on the limber the other day but no pictures, wasn't fun.
Yrs ago when I was an assistant engineer i had it drilled in my head, "we make 90% of our own problems" and that's very true. Someone put their fingers in this 471 the day before I got on and tomorrow I get to find the source of the fuel dilution, probably a jumper. 

I've never ran something this small, the dryer has been made a work bench before, no room downstairs. Taking a wild guess and rebuilding the valve, "its broken" is all I was told. 🤣

Pneumatic air controls, slowly being phased out to a shortened system but you still see stuff like this.

mike_belben

Speaking of new hollands.. My dads ls170 will start over and over but shuts down after a minutes or so.  Has the blinky oil droplet light on.  Im 900 miles away from it.

He changed all the filters, oil, hydraulic and fuel.  New hyd fluid too i think.   Its not coughing out like fuel starvation, its shutting down clean like turning off the key.   Do these have a computer?  Im thinking maybe a bad pressure switch on the hydraulic side?   Relay for the injection pump shutoff solenoid not holding?
Praise The Lord

Randy88

A New Holland LS170 has a computer, several I believe, I own a LS565 and a LS190, both have a service run switch on them to flip to run it and keep it going, but first, you need to know if its oil pressure related, if its low on engine oil, it will do the shut down and keep doing it, most anything else can be safe to run when the switch is flipped into the service mode till you can get there to check it out.     Most likely a pressure switch or a broken wire in the harness somewhere, usually where it bends in the boom under the panel inside the cab, can't recall which side it runs in though, thinking left as your sitting in the cab, might be outside and have to take the fender off to get at the harness, been a few years since I had that issue.    On the 565 it has larger wires on the panel in the engine compartment, those keep going bad for some reason and cause engine shut downs all the time, some had bad computers in them as well which had to be replaced.      Best of luck.  

BargeMonkey

Quote from: mike_belben on January 02, 2020, 09:34:06 PM
Speaking of new hollands.. My dads ls170 will start over and over but shuts down after a minutes or so.  Has the blinky oil droplet light on.  Im 900 miles away from it.

He changed all the filters, oil, hydraulic and fuel.  New hyd fluid too i think.   Its not coughing out like fuel starvation, its shutting down clean like turning off the key.   Do these have a computer?  Im thinking maybe a bad pressure switch on the hydraulic side?   Relay for the injection pump shutoff solenoid not holding?
I want to say I've got the books and can dig them out in a couple days when I get back. 
 Let me know when your ready for an engineers job on the boat, you would be a ROCKSTAR over here 🤣 

BargeMonkey

If I stare at them long enough maybe they will put themselves in... 🤣 

Alot of people hate them, I'm still a 2 stroke fan at heart. 

mike_belben

Thanks gang.  Where is the service/run switch located?  

I havent had much work since thanksgiving eric, dont tease me with visions of fat pay checks!   ;D
Praise The Lord

Randy88

On the older units, it was in the fuse holder area inside the cab, upper right hand side in the frame you had a cover to swing open and them flipped the toggle switch.   I honestly don't know for sure on the 170 machines, ran one a dozen times this fall but never paid any attention to that or if they were the same as the older units, but I'm sure they have one still inside the cab somewhere, the rest of the machine hadn't been changed much, doubt the computer and electronics were either.    

BargeMonkey

Quote from: mike_belben on January 03, 2020, 09:21:02 AM
Thanks gang.  Where is the service/run switch located?  

I havent had much work since thanksgiving eric, dont tease me with visions of fat pay checks!   ;D

RH side, in the overhead on the cab edge sitting inside. 

Half the battle of this industry Mike is just getting your foot in the door, you've got the twic so your halfway to a Z-card anyway, 

Old Greenhorn

If my calendar and memory are correct, you should be headed home around mid-week?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

petefrom bearswamp

Just went thru this thread for the first time.
More Bubble gum! More bailing wire!
Makes me glad my oldest rolling machine is a 2007 with only 1600 hrs.
Only one leaking hydraulic cylinder so far, and one flat tire.
Of course I am only a hobby guy and dont have to rely on my stuff for a living like you fellows.
I do have a 42 yr old home built wood splitter on its second engine now.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

chevytaHOE5674

Forgot all about this thread even though I had my fair share of carnage this year.

Started the summer by have hydraulic issues with a tractor. It has a closed center load sensing system and it was getting "hung" in high pressure and going over relief all the time heating the oil to scorching levels within minutes of running. So had plumbed in gauges to pinpoint things.

That was all well and good until my gauge was sticking out and the 3 point ripped the pressure pipe right off the valve block.

Pulled out the combing valve (tractor uses two open center gear pumps in tandem) to find a broken spring keeper and other trash stuck in there.

That resulted in pulling the pumps and locating the source of the trash which was a detent spring from the loader valve. So one new pump, new loader valve, bunch of new orings and backup seals, multiple system flushes and I was back in business.

chevytaHOE5674

Should mention while all that was going on it was the middle of hay season and I was down an important tractor that I use for mowing and loading hay.

So while that tractor was down waiting for parts I was driving back from a custom hay baling job when I heard a pop and before I could figure out what it was this happened.

One of the wedge bolts on the rim broke and off the wheel came. Smashing the fender off the tractor, bending the cab a little, and crunching the side panel on my new to me pristine baler. After a day of getting the tractor jacked up, and the dual on I was able to limp home. Next day tried to bale hay and the tractor kept overheating. Turns out the crank and water pump pulleys were worn forcing the v-belt to flip inside out and slip. So the tractor had to be split in front of the engine go have room to get the balancer pulley off.

Also in there was a spindle snapped off the gooseneck trailer.

A few flat tires.

A forwarder axle rebuild.

And probably a whole bunch of things I've forgot already.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 04, 2020, 07:11:49 AM
If my calendar and memory are correct, you should be headed home around mid-week?
Sitting between Bannermans island and Storm king waiting out the fog, as long as we are to the city for Tuesday I'm good. Rumor mill says it's going to be in Eastchester / Bronx which works out ok. Gf leaves for work 1hr before I get home, she's not dealing with tugboating very well. Wednesday morning may sound like Eric Church's "wrecking ball", I should send flowers and a card to the neighbors now. 

barbender

Chevy, that's some carnage fo' sho'! 

Barge, you sure are tough on relationships😊
Too many irons in the fire

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: BargeMonkey on January 04, 2020, 11:06:38 AM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 04, 2020, 07:11:49 AM
Sitting between Bannermans island and Storm king waiting out the fog, as long as we are to the city for Tuesday I'm good. Rumor mill says it's going to be in Eastchester / Bronx which works out ok. Gf leaves for work 1hr before I get home, she's not dealing with tugboating very well. Wednesday morning may sound like Eric Church's "wrecking ball", I should send flowers and a card to the neighbors now.
I just checked the sat photo, looks like you may be there for a while, but there also might be a window if you can use it. There has been some lifting up here, but still pretty dank.
 Sorry about the GF. The away/home time is just part of the job/paycheck and you can't change that. Maybe you should send flowers to the GF first? Just sayin'.  :D
 I gotta get back to the shop. Good Luck and glad to see my memory is still working pretty well.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mike_belben

Dang tahoe.. God bless ya.  

Few months ago i scattered the damper plate on the petercar clutch out in NC.  Did manage to get my load delivered and get back to base to pull trans and do a bunch of maintenance.  Other than that pretty quiet here with the exception of an RV furnance i am all too tired of fixing.  

My bobcat, dozer and forklift are all broken right now.  And ive found that if i dont fix them, they dont break any other parts.. so thats working out pretty good. 
Praise The Lord

bushmechanic

Well I might as well add to this thread as well! First day back to the woods this fall and got to 4:00 pm before this happened...

<br

and what it looked like after bush repair(welding)

barbender

What brand of forwarder is that, bushmechanic?
Too many irons in the fire

nativewolf

Quote from: mike_belben on January 03, 2020, 09:21:02 AM
Thanks gang.  Where is the service/run switch located?  

I havent had much work since thanksgiving eric, dont tease me with visions of fat pay checks!   ;D
I need a driver Mike, if you make it up this way we could keep you pretty busy I guess.  Give me a ring if you still have my number.
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

Quote from: barbender on January 05, 2020, 01:34:50 PM
What brand of forwarder is that, bushmechanic?
Sure looks like a 1010D in the yellow flavor.

Thank You Sponsors!