iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log-length purchases in Norfolk, MA area.

Started by Russ1053, October 05, 2012, 11:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ1053

Hi all,
I'm brand new to TFF.  Been shopping around for loads of log-length green in my area of southeastern Mass (Norfolk, Franklin, Foxboro, Walpole, Millis, Holliston, Ashland, Bellingham, etc) and got prices from half a dozen companies.  I was wondering if anyone in my area has any insight, experience, or opinions on whom they've bought from before I pull the trigger on the first load.  Everyone I talked to is within a couple hundred dollars of each other.  The lowest quote is $500.00/load (6 - 7 cds. estimate) = $83.00 - $71.00 per cord, mixed hardwood, tree company so possibly/likely some metal to deal with.  The highest is $835.00 ($775.00/load + $60.00 delivery charge for outside the local area) (7 - 8 cds, 7 cds minimum guaranteed) = $119.00 - $104.00 per cord, all clean oak, sawmill and firewood supplier.  Thanks much in advance for any and all info.
Best regards,
Russ Waldron

drobertson

Hi Russ, here in Missouri, most of these type scrag loads goes for around 26 bucks a ton.  With a avg. full load of 26 tons, you can figure around 650 bucks. as far as the  total on the cord count, this would depend on how tight the loads are split and stacked.  If a rick of wood (18"X4X8)weighs in the neighborhood of a ton, you might figure 26 loads.  This is a ball park estimate, but I figured over 9 cord in a load. this would come out to 72 bucks a cord, don't count on my math, just ball parking while watching the braves and cards play.  If this is correct then you could figure any profit from here.  Not counting processing of course.  I just wanted to give a response, I hope I have not went to far astray,   David
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

Ross,welcome to the forum. From what I've been hearing that's about right in price. I cut off my own land,so no help with buying firewood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bill m

Russ, Welcome to the forum. I live at the other end of the state so I don't know anything about the suppliers you are talking to. You are correct in realizing that there could be metal in the load from the tree services. Also being a tree service some of the wood could be real big in diameter with a lot of knots and crotches. May not be very cost effective to work up as firewood. The stuff from the logger sounds like better quality wood. It may cost more up front but could save you a lot of time to process.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Russ1053

Thanks for the welcome and the info.

Dave: Nope, didn't go far astray at all.  All info is good info.  Everything around here is pretty much done in standard cords, face cords, half cords, etc, at least at the residential level.  Sounds like the pricing works out about the same for log-length/cord estimate vs tonnage.

thecfarm: I envy you.  I've got a half acre lot, half of which is 90' + white pines.  Only Ma Nature gets to take them down, hopefully not on my house.  I was just up to the Common Ground Fair in Unity a couple weekends ago.   

Bill: Yep, metal is a given.  I use to find it "the hard way" when I had my tree company in the 70's and 80's.  I've got a good metal detector now so its much less of an issue.  Still, carving it out of some big chunks/logs can take a while but you do find some interesting stuff.  Big diameter logs aren't a problem.  The big saw makes pretty short work of them.  Once sliced to 16" I just quarter them down to manageable size for splitting.  Its all for my own heating use so time isn't too much of an issue.  I agree with you on the better quality/easier to work aspect so I'm leaning toward the sawmill/logger product but I need to take a ride and see it for myself.  You know us New Englanders and that old "if it sounds too good to be true" thing.  I'm also 8 months post-op from shoulder surgery as of Thursday.  Got the ok from my doctor to start running the saws again but in his words: "Take it slow, don't over do it, and don't do anything dumb or I'll see you back here to start over from the beginning."  Nuff said.  I'm picking up a new wood stove next week and, due to the surgery, I'm way behind in putting wood up so I'm playing catch-up right now.  Needless to say, I'll be buying a few cords of cut/split/seasoned/delivered as well.  I've gotten quotes ranging from $250.00 to $310.00, which is pretty much what I expected.  Hate to have to buy it but until I get caught back up, its better than buying oil.

Thanks again to all and have a great weekend.

Boardcutter123

Hi also new to forum I have been selling firewood for about 25yrs in northern Michigan about seven yrs ago I moved to the other side of the state on a ten acre all wooded lot very nice maples second month I took 44 trees off it 75% veneer but anyway for many yrs I just followed loggers around and cut there tops but now when a logger buys wood from a property owner they take it all we have some places around hear that buy chips for plywood and power  and they write contracts with the loggers and they have to supply them with so much a month  so you almost have to buy pole cords from some of the few loggers that sell them most people around here will not sell less then a full semi load about 20 pole cords in the last five yrs the price has went from $55 a cord to now $85 if you can find it might watch buying green oak the drying time is about twice of most other woods I have always consider 2 yrs for it to dry after it is cut and stack but anyway if you can get it for anything under $70 I consider that a good deal. good luck.
John

Russ1053

Thanks John.  I went with the lowest price load ($500.00).  Had it delivered last week and I'm now cutting and splitting my way through it.  It is a good, full load of mixed maple, ash, and oak with one big tulip log.  It should work out to around $83.00/cd. to $100.00/cd. Tulip isn't the greatest but it dries fast and burns like any other wood.  I try to set any oak off to the side in its own stacks exactly for the extra drying time reason.  Under $70.00/cd. is a great deal.  I'm not sure that exists around my neck of the woods.  We have to deal with the "close to Boston" prices.

Russ

Thank You Sponsors!