iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber prices

Started by welderskelter, May 02, 2022, 10:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

I checked and didnt find any current prices for rough , green lumber prices. The way things are going up now days. What would youall charge for 1x6 or 8 red oak or black ash. Had a guy wanting to buy some and I have been locked down all winter so now I have no idea if things have changed that much or not. Just shoot me a quick estimate and I will go from there. Thanks

DanMc

I spoke with a small mill up in Maine.  One guy operation, working with an LT35HD mill.  He buys mostly hemlock logs for $.25 per bd ft.  He mills it and sells green milled lumber for $.75 per bd ft.  I am looking to build a second bedroom on our cottage and am planning to use his lumber.
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

welderskelter

DanMc. Boy that sounds cheap, not sure that would make me even start my mill. The lumber would be worth more than that to build with for myself. Thanks

Wlmedley

I've been selling green poplar for 75 cents a board foot.I would think red oak would be worth more.I've cut mostly 2"x4"s .That puts them at 50 cents a foot.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Oddman

I sell a little bit of oak, I dont advertise or anything, some people just know i have a mill and access to wood. I currently charge $1.50 bdft, knowing that is probably on the high end in my area but also knowing i am making enough to cover the value of my time/equipment/timber.

welderskelter

I just sold 10 1x6 and 1x8s for 1.75 bf. for black ash and 2.50 bf.for red oak. Sold to a hobby wood worker.

Durf700

Quote from: welderskelter on May 02, 2022, 10:02:41 AM
I checked and didnt find any current prices for rough , green lumber prices. The way things are going up now days. What would youall charge for 1x6 or 8 red oak or black ash. Had a guy wanting to buy some and I have been locked down all winter so now I have no idea if things have changed that much or not. Just shoot me a quick estimate and I will go from there. Thanks
I wish I could buy log truck loads of Hemlock for 25 cents per board foot... lol   my local logger that I was buying from called me up after I waited for 3 months for another load of hemlock and told me the new price was 45 cents per board foot international scale.  I told him to keep it...  I have 2 loads of pine and spruce I got delivered last fall that I got a very good deal on that will finish all my projects.  but at that price I can't see how I can make enough with what I consider mostly poor quality hemlock logs.. by this I mean that they were not 16" to 24" diameter, most were smaller, covered in mud and had several knots/limbs on them based on the 5 previous loads I purchased from him.  if they were nice logs I may have purchased more.  at this point, I might consider letting my mill go after this summer when my projects are all complete if the mill demand keeps up.

Thank You Sponsors!