iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Northern White Cedar

Started by Ron Scott, January 16, 2014, 01:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

SILVICULTURAL GUIDE FOR NORTHERN WHITE-CEDAR

FYI.
USFS publication (2012).  82 pages.  GTR-NRS-98. 
http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/41699

~Ron

SliverPicker

Excellent.  Thanks for posting that.
Yooper by trade.

SwampDonkey

Since we are talking cedar we might as well have a photo or two. ;D

Seedling

20 years after a clearcut.

We find a few of these old brutes in our silviculture. Many (most) get uprooted from winds when left in clear cuts.

;D

I downloaded the document and will be studying it. :)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fedge

Its interesting to see the photo of the woods 20 years after a clear cut. We have lots of white cedar here but it will not regenerate. It becomes deer poop instead of a sapling.

I am logging white cedar in a managed forest cut right now. It is very difficult to find open spots to drop the trees. Everything seems to get hung up. Most of the stuff that is marked is of poor quality by most people standards. My primary job is making log furniture so I can use more of the low grade stuff than most people.

Geoff
A smart man knows a lot, a smarter man knows what he doesn't know.

SwampDonkey

They mention aspen in with the cedars, we do get that on better drained sites. On wetter ground we get more balsam poplar in-growth with the cedar. In fact in that 20 year old cedar, the deciduous stems there are balsam poplar. I see this on many acres of cedar clearcuts. I've also seen some pretty big balsam poplar in cedar because some sites are hard to get at to cut. They will be deeply furrowed with orangy bark. A road turns into a water canal. I also get black ash when it's wet ground.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Clark

Thanks for posting this Ron.  I've read through part of it but am interested to see if they have specific recommendations about thinning the stuff. There is enough of it around that could use it, I had one plot of cedar today that was over 300 BA!

Fedge - Interesting that you say that about cedar.  The only place I have seen cedar invading an old field is on the Door County peninsula. I don't know if the deer population drops off once you get over the shipping channel or what but I was quite impressed with that.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

SwampDonkey

I thinned a 40 acre stand of cedar with a crew of brush saw operators. 6 foot spacing. It to was a 20 year old clear cut. But the cedar came back nice and uniform on the site. Almost lost one guy in a mud hole, went down far enough that his arms kept him from sinking further. When you go down in that muck you smell like a barn yard manure pile the rest of the day.  :D

I interplanted some spruce on that cedar site posted and I need to thin it out in a year or so. I'd like the spruce trees to be a little taller.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Rocky_Ranger

Interestingly enough, I am using an extract of Northern White Cedar to remove an aggravating skin tag along my collar line.  Supposed to take about six weeks; the stuff stinks to high heaven in concentration, after it dissipates a bit it smells good though....
RETIRED!

beenthere

Interesting.
So does the extract dissolve skin over time? or what does it do? No idea what a skin tag-along is either.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rocky_Ranger

A skin tag is a little pimpley-looking thing that is mainly skin, about the size of a pencil lead (at least mine is) that comes and goes as we age.  Some folks are more susceptible than others.  I'm trying this instead of having saw-bones freeze it off.  Supposedly it is a homeopathic solution.  My guess is it dissolves skin over time....

http://www.medicinenet.com/skin_tag/article.htm  More than you ever want to know about these little buggers....  Saw-bones told me one day to just cut one off with dental floss, it wouldn't hurt.  I bled like a stuck pig and danced around for an afternoon before I found relief (well-aged whiskey).  I am not obese but my dad had these things on him on occasion so I reckon it does have some genetic tie somewhere..... 
RETIRED!

Thuja man

Hi folks.  Brand new here and hoping we can revive this thread.  I own whitecedar stand in central Oconto County of NE Wisconsin.  Stand is fire-derived, from burns in the dustbowl years.  I do seek info about thinning.  In some areas, cedar is extremely thick and readings suggest I could possibly boost growth of remaining stems if i were to thin.  Right now, that's what i'm after-info relative to thinning mid-aged whitecedar stands.  Thanks!

SwampDonkey

Are your trees big enough for rails? Do you have a market for rail cedar? For years we would thin out second growth cedar on that same land I posted about the clear cut regrowth. We planted spruce in the skid trails.  Then you have to compete with the hares, not the deer, eating the spruce seedlings. :) :D

dgdrls

Thuja man

Thanks SwampDonkey.  Yes, stems are in many cases large enough for rails.  I think some are small-pole-sized.  That is to say, there are definitely pole-sized stems in the areas I might thin but the best of these would be left behind to grow, but even so, some small pole-sized stuff could be had.

I'll try and photo some stuff in the next few weeks.  Thanks again.

Thank You Sponsors!