iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A thread on wood threading

Started by purple otter, March 29, 2013, 05:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purple otter

I wanted to make my own screw and nut for the leg vice on my new bench. This is the adventure so far.I turned the blank from a piece of hornbeam.

Then pushed it across a 60 degree router bit ...success !

to be continued....
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

SwampDonkey

Yes indeedie, you make yourself a thread box. Looks great otter, a mighty fine job of it. And hornbeam to. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lud

So $are you doing for the nuts????  Going to chase them???
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Yes it is impressive! You've got my attention.....to be continued.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Nice job,got me thinking on a lot of things now :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

purple otter

...for the nut I thougt of 2 options. The first is to use my test piece as a tap by morticing in a 3/8 square lathe bit. Grind the bit to match the thread,then remove part of the wooden threads on the lathe. Then lower the bit so that only a smallamount shows,then push it through the blank ,raising it a little with each cut.
   Option 2 is to cut the blank in half ,lay out the threads,then cut them by hand with a curved 60 degree gouge,then reasemble the blank.I think these threads may be smoother but I'm not sure. Give me your input guys . Thanks.
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

Hilltop366

Nice job on the threads, I'll throw out a few other ideas for cutting threads for a nut, One thought I had is to make a matching cutter profile that has the bit mounted horizontally like a slot cutting router bit only smaller, spin the bit in a drill as you advance and rotate the nut. ( this would cut threads on one side at a time not all the way around at once)

The other idea is to make a tapered tap using your test piece and two thin (thinking old lawnmower blade) pieces of steel.

I'm thinking the tapered tap would be the easiest to set up and use?

purple otter

...well it ends up that method 1 worked! I used the same contraption to push the home-made tap through the nut. Here is the tap

First pass

Success

The nut is also hornbeam,I was surprised how smooth it cut. I could only raise the cutter an 1/8 turn on the set screw each pass. It took about 20 passes to complete the nut.
  Now on to complete the vise and the bench. Thanks for all the encouragement!

Magicman

Looks really good, but I think that you screwed up.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Peter Drouin

Your the man nice job, I would not have the smarts for that, but now you showed me, thanks , I bet i still mess it up :D :D :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Lud

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

isawlogs

Nice, that opens up a few more things to be put on the ' to do ' list  :) :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

chevytaHOE5674

samandothers

What talent! Forging hold downs and making wooden nuts and bolts!

Very impressive.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

purple otter

...and finally the finished leg vise.

Can't wait to use it on my next project...

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

Yes, and I'm still quite pleased it was done with hornbeam wood.  8)

purple otter

SwampDonky tell me about your love for hornbeam. Besides this project I have only used it for turned mallets.I harvested it about 2 years ago, it does turn beautifully.

Thank You Sponsors!