Sponsors:

Firewood on a Hakki Pilkie 1x37

Started by GRANITEstateMP, April 09, 2017, 10:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

You do anything that doesn't make noise ? :D :D :D

Me neither.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

doc henderson

granite, it looks like you cab is stacked full of firewood.  do you deliver while you are mowing? :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

GRANITEstateMP

Mick, There are few things in this world I excel at...making noise is one of them ;D

Doc, only thing in the cab today was my lunchbox, which did not have a spare set of batterys for when my work tunes died today.  I could stack the cab with wood, I'd be like The Firewood version of santa
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

GRANITEstateMP

After a slow start to firewood this year (I am totally to blame for that :D), we are at 42cords delivered, well 41 with one waiting in the trailer to go.

We've had a lot of needed rain lately, we got almost 2in from Fri night to Sun night.  Some of my customers drop.spots are too soft for deliverys, so.I got to pick and choose a bit.  Even my yard is a bit wet

My main log brow that feeds the processor is getting pretty low, but my logger buddys saved me late last week with a grapple load right on time!  The logs in the foreground of the pic are mostly shorts that I don't put on the brow because they won't feed easily (so I feed with the tractor and grapple).  They take longer to make a cord, but there good wood, and paid for so when I'm working alone I try and use up that pile.

We've got a bunch of orders for 20-22in wood, which we generally work up with the oversized logs that won't feed into the processor.  That'll be the next big push as we've got a pretty good handle on the processor customers right now.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

GRANITEstateMP

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

Another rainy Sunday. Got started a bit late this am, it was kinda misting at first, then about halfway into the first cord it started to really rain. Got the Ez-Up popped into place, and managed to get 2 cord worked up and into the trailers before the sky's really opened up.  Just checked the rain gauge, at 1in for the day. I may try and get 1 cord dropped, customer has solid ground, the other has to wait. On the other hand, a nap sounds good too...
UPDATE- No real nap  :(, and as of dinner time we are just shy of 2in of rain. I did get 1 cord delivered
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

cutterboy

GSMP, you did well to get that wood split in the rain yesterday. I'm not that far from you and it poured all day. 1.8 inches by supper time here. I stayed in the house all morning and in the barn all afternoon. Another .8 inches last night.

Noah, can I borrow the ark?
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

GRANITEstateMP

cutterboy,
I just walked in and looked at the rain gauge, 2.75 over the two days.  If you get the ark, can I get a berth on it? ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

We've shipped 50+ cord so far this year.  

I losded up the log deck with 3-5 cord of logs yesterday am to be ready for processing this am.  I then had to report to the racetrack (NHMS) for my crewman duties on my friends pavement modified.  It was a long HOT and humid day, but we improved all day and came home 9th, and I didn't spill any fuel during our pitstop, that is a GOOD DAY.

Today I woke up to a steady light rain, figured we'd shoot for 2 cord vs 3. Had breakfast, and it really started raining!  Then we got a tornado warning, not too common in NH. Well, 3 tornado warnings later, still no firewood done, but not tornados either, we'll call that a win too.

Maybe I'll try and sneak 1 cord in between downpours 1in so far by lunch), or maybe I'll sneak a nap in instead 8)
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

cutterboy

Yesterday a nap was the best option. It was pretty much a lost day for me. I picked some veggies in the early morning, napped after lunch and swept out the barn in the afternoon. The rain let up late in the afternoon and I was able to grill a steak. digin1

GRANITEstateMP

cutterboy, that sounds like a pretty solid day to me!

I got about half a cord done Sunday between rain showers, then finished it last night when the wife and son went swimming. Another cord off the hit list
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

Saturday I got another cord of 22's done before heading out for an adventure.

Sunday was looking to be a hot one, got the equipment fueled up and singing a little before 8, can't go too early got to keep the neighbors happy.  Got 2 more cord done.

The brow had just enough wood on it

Also got to meet gaspasser Sunday am.  He was interested in seeing the HockeyPuck in action, it was nice meeting another member!  

Got those cords dropped, got to cross a 10 cord customer off the list, as complete! Mowed the yard, just about needed to get the bushog going! Then headed to a cookout and over indulged on lobster, stead tips, and fixins.  This week I'll have to sort some more logs for the processor, and reload the brow.  I really should finish my wood and get it stacked....

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

3 more cords shipped out this weekend, 2 the week before, somewhere just shy of 70 for the year.  Took a whole day last weekend and did maintenance, greasing, organizing, weed eating, fix said weed eater, clean up the cull pile.  It was goid to do some many of the little fixes that needed a bit of love.

I've got enough processor logs for a weekend and a half, if I don't see a delivery by then, it'll be back to the over sized pile, cuttin, crackin, shipping
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

cutterboy

Hi GsMP, Are you having trouble getting enough firewood logs? I'm thinking that with the wet ground loggers are having a tough time getting the logs out. I would expect tho that with the poor pulp market there should be plenty of wood available for you firewood guys.

GRANITEstateMP

spot on cutter, the wet is slowing them up a bit. I haven't run out yet, but come close.  I can diversify, and cut oversized stuff, but I'd really like to bang down my processor customer list a bit before changing it up. I will let them know when I'm real close, I know I'm not there only customer
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

Cut up some stuff that was too big and ugly for the processor today. Pre split it with the skid steer, will load uo the trailer tomorrow... if the weather allows

this is what was left over from the last run.  I added some between rain showers

might do a few more logs before putting the conveyor back.  Got to go pick up the boys atv from the shop before they close, that is priority!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

Got 1 cord done from the splitter and 2 cord done off the processor.  I also managed to add a couple logs to the brow for next week. I guess I didn't need to chunk up those extra few logs to the other day, I had leftovers...til the next cord

I was supposed to deliver 3 cords and finish off 3 customers...NOPE! 1 customer added another cord and another customers brother was around when I was delivering and wanted a cord to get drying. 3 cords forward, 2 cords back
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

cutterboy

Gstate, looking good. The cooler weather makes it much nicer to work outside.                                                                                                                                                                       Is all your wood sold green? Are your customers discipled enough to let it dry or do they burn it green?

GRANITEstateMP

cutter,

I do 99% green, from log truck to my brow, into the trailer and to there house.  I would say around 40% are set up to be around a year ahead. 25% ask for early spring delivery every year and ask if it'll be dry by fall (I tell them that the ash will be). 35% just burn it green.  I try every year to get one or two of the last minute folks to try and get a cord or two ahead for the next year...slowly getting them converted!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

barbender

I want to get a kiln built so I always have dry wood like Jim Barry, but I sell mine green too. 
Too many irons in the fire

GRANITEstateMP

I've done some dry in the past.  I didn't think there was enough extra money to be made to justify the extra handling...but, I really hate stacking so that may cloud my judgement ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

Cord 100 & 101 rolled out the door yard today.  I've got a short list to finish up, then refill my emergency wood area (holds 8ish cord of 12ft logs) and then lots of maintenance stuff for over the winter.  I'm sure at some point we'll to a bunch of bigger stuff for me and a couple buddy's, but I think we'll end up around 110 cord this year which is closer to my goal off 100.  Ive got to finish my second new wood shed, it needs to be leveled and roofed, then get those filled up.  Might need to take me a day off of real work!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

haven't exactly been setting the world on fire over the last month. 2 more cord this weekend and we're at 111. Good news is, those two card will help fill MY new wood sheds!  I'll try and grab some more pics one of these days.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

Last 2 cord of 2023 rolled out a little while ago, I think that means we ended somewhere between 113-117cord this year, I'll check at some point.  Went nice and easy

quartered wood was resplit when needed, onto the conveyor and into the dump trailer.  All the wood was oversized stuff from my friends tree service.  We make a good size pile of ugly pieces, those get tossed to the side and go up to the farms outdoor boiler. Those may get loaded later today...maybe!

We also did about 2 hrs of brush cutting and maintenance along our atv trails, much needed and a good time.  May take a rest before the next project..
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Thank You Sponsors!