iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peppers from somewhere else. How do they do it?

Started by Tom, March 24, 2010, 08:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I had fish and grits for supper tonight.

The meal came from Sam's Retail Warehouse.  The catfish said "a product of the United States".  I figure that they probably came from some of the lower 48.  The Grits were Quaker.

Gael!!

"Well that 's all they had".

OK, I guess they came from the lower 48 somewhere too.

Then she handed me a "surprise".  Big, long, red sweet peppers that were titled Ancient Sweet Peppers.

Knowing that California has truck farms, but South Florida does too, I was hoping to find that they were grown in Belle Glade.   Wrong!   

I tentatively looked at the label on the zip-loc bag.   Product of Mexico.  Distributed by xxxxxx ltd.  Canada. and to make sure that I understood, the label also repeated that in French.  I guess it repeated itself.  I don't read French.

Now, how do they get a pepper from Mexico, through Canada, to Florida and compete with a product grown in Florida?  Florida's Dept. Of Agriculture used to not allow that.  :-\

I wonder where I would have to go to buy a Florida bell pepper?

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

fishpharmer

I am thinking China is getting the Florida peppers.

If Florida has Mississippi Catfish (most likely if it is US Farm Raised, since Mississippi has the largest acreage of catfish farms). 

China imports a lot of Catfish to MS and the rest of the US.  So it only seems reasonable that they wanted some of those fine Florida peppers. 

Is that logical? :D

I didn't think so.

Makes as much sense as Mexican peppers going to Canada to learn French so they can they can go "south of the border".  That way the peppers feel more at home in Florida.

If the name of the catfish processor is on the box I can tell you where it was processed.  Many catfish crisscross AL, MS and LA just dying to find some hot grease. ;D

Sounds like a good meal to me, even if the peppers were MexCan.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

okie

I wonder where I would have to go to buy a Florida bell pepper?
[/quote]

Most likely a farmers market.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

gator gar

I know this is a pepper thread, but I want to talk catfish.  How in the world can the Chinese or whoever, bring those Basa catfish or any other catfish here in the U.S. cheaper than we can sell them. I commercial fished Lake Livingston for Catfish and to make any money I would have to charge right at 5.00 a pound for what we call the flanks. Just the fillets with no belly meat. The imports all the restaraunts are getting are from over seas, are less than 3 dollars a pound for IQF fillets. Someone is working cheap over there, is all I can say.

That and they probably aren't put on any daily bag limits. I could have made some decent money, if I was allowed to catch over 50 fish per day, but I wasn't.  The money I made was just paying for my gas and my fishing hobby. You sure couldn't make a living at it.

I couldn't imagine raising catfish here in the states and having to compete with the overseas suppliers.  I guess I am truely blessed to be able to go out and catch some beautiful high finned blue cats in the 2-3 pound range, come home, fillet them and remove all fat and visible blood and release them in some hot grease.  There is nothing like a good, wild caught properly cleaned blue catfish, in my opinion. Well, maybe a nice size oppaloosa(Flathead) in the 25 pound range. That is some great eating too.

The restaraunts.....I don't think they care, as long as they are making a great profit. Me, I'm sticking to catching my own.

gator gar

Speaking of peppers..........http://www.slashfood.com/2007/02/20/guinness-names-worlds-hottest-pepper/  have any of you heard of this little gem. Over 10 times hotter than a habenaro from what I read.  I would hate to mistake this for a regular pepper and chomp down on it. I tried eating a half of a habenaro one time and it just about brought me to my knees. I couldn't imagine something over 10 times hotter.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DanG

Somebody just set out a few pepper plants a couple of miles from here....about 100 acres of them.  Don't know what kind they are, but guessing jalapenos.  We use so few peppers here that it is hard for me to wrap my mind around that many of them in one place, even when I see them.

Gator gar, I'm with you on those wild-caught catfish!  They need to eat bugs and worms and let us make grits out of the corn! ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mooseherder

Overseas Fish Farmers don't want to seed their tanks with a product that doesn't produce as much money as another species does.  It's getting harder to source Basa because of that.
If you see some out in your Marketing area, it is more than likely from China.
We will not buy product of China and rather be out of stock on it.
Distribution has been real spotty the last couple years.  Probably have it about a third of the time in stock.
I meant to check on our Peppers today but got side tracked with another project.

Tom

Our Farmer's market has degraded to the point of a garage sale.  It has one store that is always open (sometimes) and three or four that booths that are run by orientals or Mexicans selling varied vegetables from the back of a pickup.  I figure they are purchased products and being resold.   Nobody goes to the Farmer's Market anymore, there are no farmers.  :)

LeeB

Same thing with the markets here except the ethnic back ground is different. Are snow birds an ethnic group? There may be one or two stalls selling actual home grown produce. he rest are reselling store bought produce at rediculous prices. Cheaper to buy the same thing at Wally world.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Tom on March 24, 2010, 08:32:09 PM
I had fish and grits for supper tonight.

Then she handed me a "surprise".  Big, long, red sweet peppers that were titled Ancient Sweet Peppers.

I tentatively looked at the label on the zip-loc bag.   Product of Mexico.  Distributed by xxxxxx ltd.  Canada. and to make sure that I understood, the label also repeated that in French.  I guess it repeated itself.  I don't read French.

Tom,

Those same exact peppers are on our supermarket shelves to. I always go for the Jalapeno bin and load up at $1.99/lb. Most bell peppers start at $3.99/lb and the colored ones are about $2 bucks more.  :o Package of 3 bells in yellow, orange and red color are $5.99.

I remember one time loading up on those Jalapenos and met an elderly lady and her grandson in my path and she said to me "Those are the worst GD things I ever ate, horrible darn things she said" I still laugh over that. And to top it off in the same store at the checkout that same time, I was asked by a fellow in line "What do you use those darn things in? I said I like them in my salad, gives her some zing. I don't stop there either, I dice them little babies in a salmon sandwich, pizza, chop suey with hamburg, steak. I didn't mention I add a palm full of dried cranberries in my salad did I? Oh, gotta have that cheddar to. Still ain't found an aged cheese, even tried that Cabot supposed sharp cheese, that's just that Kraft mild stuff. :D ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

I'll bet that you could grow enough Jalapenos in your short growing period to be the state agent.  If you can grow tomatoes, you can probably grow peppers.  They are fairly easy, and like yellow squash, you can plant too many.  :D

ErikC

One thing about a lot of peppers is they require warmer nights to set fruit, even if they grow well, than many kinds of tomatoes. :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Tom, yes we can. Can grow some mighty fine peppers. But, last year it didn't help that I burnt the garden up with Borax. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scgargoyle

I've always wondered why the 'green' advocates and global warming folks aren't more up in arms about all the stuff that gets shipped literally half way around the world. Meanwhile, FL strawberry growers are plowing their bountiful harvest under, because prices are so low it would cost more to pick them than they can sell them for. Why not open it to U-pick? Liability issues. I bet if you look you can find strawberries from some other part of the world, though. I'm sure before long, we'll stop producing food in this country altogether, just like we have manufactured goods. I work in the tool and die business, and we can buy a tool from China for less than we can buy the raw materials to make one in this country. I wish someone would explain that to me. >:(
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

CHARLIE

Tom, Quaker has a mill in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and I'll bet that is where your grits came from. I get so ticked when I go to Fort Pierce and try and find some Dixie Lily Grits and all the stores are carrying Quaker Grits. I bought some Jim Dandy the last time I was down there and we finally opened the package. The grits were not very good. They were over processed. I looked on the package and DanGed if Quaker hadn't bought Jim Dandy company and flat ruined their grits. Probably sent some Yankee down from Iowa to tell the Jim Dandy people how to make grits.

With all the lead and melamine that the Chinese put in their toys and pet food, I'd be scared to eat catfish from there. Probably full of toxins. In fact, I won't eat any food that comes from China.

We have a lot of REAL farmers markets up here and the vegetables are grown by the seller and the meat is raised on a farm.  The farmers market in St. Paul is fun to go to because there is such a variety of stuff, but the one here in New Richmond is nice too. They are a ways off now though.  Just a vision in my brain.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!