iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

parbuckling trailer

Started by tomb, August 26, 2015, 11:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomb

I hope this is in the right place, im sorry if its not.
I finally finished my log loading trailer! 8)
I spent countless hours figuring out how to pick up logs before this forum helped me figure it out! A HUGE thanks to everyone here.
I loaded my first log this last weekend, and it worked perfectly!
It is a 12' hickory log about 20" in diameter and a crotch at one end. 
My trailer is 16' long, with a 8500 lb. Superwinch attached and a new deep cycle battery.

I used the ramps as wedges and screwed them down, then chains and binders to lock it all into place.  It pulled like a dream and I couldn't be happier.  Well maybe if I wind up with a new to me mill...
Thanks for all the help!
Tom

tburch

Hi Tom.  Thanks for posting.  This is a subject I am interested in very much.

From the pictures, it appears you have a single line running from the winch, over the top of the log, around the log, and then it is anchored near the bottom of the trailer, near the winch, being run over the side rail of the trailer.  Is this correct?   

In designing my setup, I was planning on using my pull line to connect to a separate "V" shaped cable.  The two ends of the V shaped line would connect to the edge of my trailer and the pull line would connect to the middle of the V line.   The V line would be fed under the log, and then the pull line would hook to it, coming over the top of the log like yours.  This would have the effect of the log being supported in two places instead of just one location, to better keep the log straight while rolling up the ramps.    What do you think about this approach?

Todd
Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

beenthere

tburch
Seems should give better control of log... IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV Sawmiller

Tomb,

Looks great. Thanks for posting. Will be of great value to others who are always asking how to load logs with limited equipment.

Only suggestion I would have if you do build another is be sure to make it so you can load from either side (if not already so designed). Might come in handy where access to the logs is limited.

Keep up the good work.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Larcheater

Nice Build!  I have used both a "v" and just a single cable under the logs.  Both have some advantages.  The single cable allows you straighten out the log a bit easier with the peavey if it gets off track.  The "V" cable does keep the log much more stable and I use it mainly when I get up to the second or third tier of the deck.  I used to have an electric winch setup like yours, but like WV stated, it is sure nice to be able to load from both sides.  Now I am using a Lewis Chainsaw winch...I can move it all around the trailer and it doesn't overheat.  It was a bit spendy, but I sure like it.  I posted a video of my setup here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdzCQpxmVAA
Mobile Dimension 127

clww

Looks great! 8) Good idea using those jack-stands to help stabilize the trailer. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

slider

Looks like you have got a plan. good job.
al glenn

tomb

Hi Todd,  You are correct with the setup I have.  The single line was really stable at least on this size log, rolled straight up. ;D
Take a look at the video link in Larcheaters post.  I think he is doing exactly what you were talking about.  Good luck with your setup!

Thanks WV Sawmiller, its hard to see in the photo with the trailer being black but there is another mount for the winch on the other side.  I still need to drill the holes for the winch in it though. ;)  I was told I could drive up to either side of the log so I wasn't to worried with this log.  However they forgot to mention that there was an 8 foot ditch right behind!  The left rear tire wasn't touching the ground as it fell away into the ditch. :o  I made it work thankfully.
Hi clww, the jacks were a last minute addition and I was glad I brought them! ;)
Thanks Larcheater, great video and nice setup all around!  I have never seen a chainsaw winch before, I like it A LOT!  I have log hauling envy now, AGAIN! ;D
Tom

Larcheater

I see the ditch now that you mention it.  Never as easy as they tell you it going to be.  Sounds like you got out okay though.  Thanks again for sharing!
Mobile Dimension 127

Magicman

I use a 20' chain at the top end to form my V.

With my setup, I can switch over and load from either side.  I also found that a couple of tires in the trailer bed will cushion the fall.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WIwoodworker

Nicely done Tomb. I like your setup. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for posting yours too Magicman. I like your solution. Might try that myself.
Peterson 9" WPF

Larcheater

Chain for the "V" is a good call Magicman.  Easier to adjust the length and doesn't get beat up as easily as cable.  Thanks for the ideas!
Mobile Dimension 127

red

I feel like an Old Man saying this. . Be Careful.  . ten fingers ten toes Safety counts. . www.thinkslogans.com

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

WV Sawmiller

TOMB,

I just noticed it looks like you ran your cable over the top then under the log and hooked to the trailer. Obviously this worked but I thought the idea was to run the cable/chain under then over the top of the log and connect to the truck/trailer then pull. Looks to me like there would be less resistance that way.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

tomb

I tried under and then over first, it would only drag the log.  I tried different placements of the cable on the trailer and the one that worked was over the top and under.

Magicman

tomb had the cable correct.  You want to roll the log, not slide it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

MM & TOMB,

Thx. I learned something new today.
Howard Green

4x4American

Quote from: Larcheater on August 26, 2015, 06:57:53 PM
Nice Build!  I have used both a "v" and just a single cable under the logs.  Both have some advantages.  The single cable allows you straighten out the log a bit easier with the peavey if it gets off track.  The "V" cable does keep the log much more stable and I use it mainly when I get up to the second or third tier of the deck.  I used to have an electric winch setup like yours, but like WV stated, it is sure nice to be able to load from both sides.  Now I am using a Lewis Chainsaw winch...I can move it all around the trailer and it doesn't overheat.  It was a bit spendy, but I sure like it.  I posted a video of my setup here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdzCQpxmVAA

nice setup!
Boy, back in my day..

tomb

How I unload my trailer without any heavy machinery. ;D

Tom

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: tomb on October 28, 2015, 10:08:22 AM

Tom

I like it!  Just like the Egyptians :D But, do you have issues with front to back movement.  I'm assuming you chain it down, but you are on rollers...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

beenthere

I was assuming that the rollers were placed there for loading, removed for transport, and replaced for unloading.
But I was wondering how they were placed and removed. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tomb

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 28, 2015, 11:57:05 AM
Quote from: tomb on October 28, 2015, 10:08:22 AM

Tom

I like it!  Just like the Egyptians :D But, do you have issues with front to back movement.  I'm assuming you chain it down, but you are on rollers...

Transported using wood 4x4s, PVC slid under the log and wood removed with a mallet.  I tried transporting a log on the PVC once, and I wont try it again! :-\

Thank You Sponsors!