iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone making Jerky?

Started by KiwiCharlie, October 14, 2002, 09:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timber_Framer

This one is for Turkey Jerky, but works great for venison also. I like to add additional cracked fresh black pepper to the meat just before it goes in the oven.

1 1/2 to 2 lbs turkey breast, sliced about 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch thick and cut into strips
4 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari soy sauce
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1.Combine marinade ingredients in a plastic zipper bag or large mixing bowl.
2.Add turkey slices and coat thoroughly with marinade, refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. I sugest closer to four hours or you may not be able to taste any turky
4. Set your oven to the lowest temp, mine goes down to 170 degrees F.
5. Cover oven rack with aluminum foil place marinated turkey breast strips on baking racks and place racks in the oven.
6. Prop open oven door slightly with an oven mitt or pot holder to allow humidity to escape.
7. Check turkey after about 4 hours.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Weekend_Sawyer

Let's bump this one up again.

I have 6 lbs jerky in the smoker as we speak. I am still very happy with my 55 gal smoker rig.

for this batch I used:
3 tbsp morton tender quick
4 tbsp brown shugar
4 tbsp worstishire (sp) sauce
3 tbsp teriaki sauce
2 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp crushed red pepper
some garlic powder
some italian seasoning

I spent 3 hours last night cutting up deer and will spend 5 hours today running the smoker
it took about an hour to get the meat strung on stickers and hung on the racks.

WAAHOO
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

farmerdoug

Guys,

I have to warn you that if you do not use curing salt in your recipe DO NOT LEAVE THE JERKY UNREFRIGERATED!!

I would hate to see anybody with food poisoning.  I process about 50 lbs of venison into jerky every year plus meat from other game that people bring me.  I use an Excaliber dehydrator and it does a batch overnight.  I jerky I do can sit in the cupboard for up to 9 monthes in an sealed container.  I trim out all of the fat and do not use burger in a press.  It is all hand cut pieces.

Make sure that you use a cure for your jerky to be safe.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Don_Papenburg

What is the differance between table salt and cureing salt ?
Who makes the cureing salt? Name names
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Tom

Curing salt is just regular salt.  It doesn't contain Iodine, but it does include other curing agents like sodium nitrate, sodium nitrite, sugar and other things, like coloring, for identification and texture.

farmerdoug

I get my curing salt from The Sausage Maker catalog.  You can do a search for them on the net.  I think it is also called "Instacure".

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

scgargoyle

It's WORCESTERSHIRE sauce- don't any of you guys ever look at the DanG bottle?! You can get worcestershire powder from Zach's- great for getting the same flavor in a dry rub.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Weekend_Sawyer

Farmerdoug is right on the money, Mortons Tender Quick is a curing salt.
That's why you mix your meat in the ingredients and let it sit overnight to cure.
it was mentioned in this thread a couple of years ago ;)

By the way, my batch came out great, it has a nice spicy flavor with a bit of a bite!

Jon

Weekend_Sawyer

Bump.

I have a 5 lb batch in the fridge curing. I am going to fire up the smoker saturday morning while I rake leaves. I am clearing out the last of last years deer in preparation for this years deer.

Jon

Jeff

Quote from: scgargoyle on December 03, 2006, 10:41:11 AM
It's WORCESTERSHIRE sauce- don't any of you guys ever look at the DanG bottle?!

No its not. Its whatsthatthere sauce.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Weekend_Sawyer

Mmmmmmmm jerky! 8)
This batch came out DARN good. In the past I have over dried it and it came out like tree bark. this time I stopped feeding the smoker after 4 hours and at 5 hours opened it up and let it cool and sit for a couple of more hours. A buddy stopped by and we found ourselvs leaning on the barrel eating jerky and BSing. We had a great visit. My yeld was two 1 gallon baggies full, one is gone and the other is soon to follow.

Jon

Weekend_Sawyer

When I make Jerky I look up this thread to remind myself of my recipe.
Sure I could write it down but it's more fun reading my jerky evolution.

I didn't harvest enough deer to make jerky this year so I just cut up a 5lb top round beef roast. I had to trim about a half lb of fat out of it. Hope I cleaned it up enough. Beef fat turns bad when you cold smoke it.

I'll let you know How it comes out tomorrow.  ;D

justallan1

I usually use up any of last years deer and elk meet for jerky, especially the burger. I just use the dehydrator and a few spices and sometimes even use the store bought packs. I only started using burger last year and think I like it better. This year I bought a cheapo jerky gun and from now on that's all that I'll use. I leave the jerky a little soft knowing that it's getting eaten in short order.

JuniperBoss

Never made jerky myself but LOVE to eat the deer/elk gramps makes into jerky. If I ever kill a deer It's going to be all jerky ;D.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

Weekend_Sawyer

I smoked mine on my ugly drum smoker yesterday. It came out pretty good but never as good as venison jerky.

Norm

Looks good justallan1, I've never tried to make any!

You've got a UDS? Jon you never cease to amaze me.  :)

Ron Scott

I just made another batch of venison jerky. It's a great snack when in the woods and and when downhill skiing. I also use cuts of last years meat and from hamburger with the jerky gun. 
~Ron

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks Norm,  I like to make things. When I first got into smoking I started with a little El Cheapo Brinkman but it wasn't big enough so I built a drum smoker. It works pretty good for ribs and chicken but now that I have my BGE the drum is used only for making jerky.

I am gnawing on a chunk now and it is pretty good. :D

Jon

Thank You Sponsors!