iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maine Moose Hunting 09

Started by Raider, June 20, 2009, 07:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider

Well of all things, what are the odd's of a non-res Moose tag ??? Well Thurs. nite the good state of Maine drew a tag that had my name on it for an Oct. hunt 8) 8) Now I will have to do my home work on scouting my area! :P I know that a lot of people have tried a lot longer than I have, but I guess that's why they call it a lottery :D Oh by the way went downtown Thurs. nite and bought some powerball tickets ;D ;D just in case :o   Raider

SwampDonkey

Out where we are cutting brush I see moose every day, mostly one and sometimes six per day. One day I was marking out and came out to the road and one was standing beside the car. :D  There are all kinds around the neighborhood here to. There needs to be a longer season than 3 days. I've found a couple dead calves that died for some reason, they looked like yearlings. They are on our thinning blocks and ain't too pleasant to smell all day. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Lucky you.  ;D Daughter in law got a moose tag a few years back. They hired a guide to help out.They do all of the butchering too.No moose tag in thecfarm this year.   :(  I have to go to the city to see a moose.On the way to work last week one run in front of me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider

Unit 10 is my draw. ::) Will have to get some maps and do my homework. Oh well back to school again :D I hope to get a passing grade 8)   Raider

CLL

I think with all the tags that is being drawn, someone would feel guilty and let one of the fellow forestry members have one. 8) :D
Too much work-not enough pay.

Ron Scott

Congratulations! and good hunting.
~Ron

moosehunter

Raider, you lucky dog!
I went in 1998, my first year of entering the lottery. My hunting partner was drawn in 2003. We had a great time on both hunts. This year my dad is #11 on the alternate list, so if you and ten other out-of-state-ers back out we will get to go :D :D. I can't see that happening ::).
If you are just after meat you probably don't need a guide. If you want a trophy or plan to hunt in the deep woods a guide could prove very valuable.
Have fun and post pics when you get back!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

SwampDonkey

Found a beat down moose path today, wide enough for a car to go down through the woods. I never looked close on the aerial photo to see where it goes to. I know it comes into our thinning block where there are lots of young hardwood to eat. The road coming out of there was all tramped up with tracks like a feed lot. I was surprised to see what looked to be 6 set of fresh deer tracks on the road going one way. Never knew a deer would survive in that country, snow gets real deep.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pappy

Spoke with Raider and zone 10 is where my nephew is head forester in that area for a rather larger land owner and he'll be showing us around a bit  ;D my other nephew  his brother will be coming with us and they are both real good outdoors men 8)  ......  Man o man I can't wait  8)  8)  8)....  Moose meat is some of the best !!

"Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet" Will Rogers

Thanks to the FF  :) we've made some really good friends here  8)

Salut and peace,
pappy
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Mooseherder

We have some friends that had two winners in the same family for this year's lottery. 8)

This video is of an experiment in the middle of Moose country that is well known for Moose/Car collisions.
It is 2 miles from our camp on Route 1.  The testing of these reflectors actually light up the sides of the road with reflections off car headlights.  Moose are really hard to see at night.  There were 2 collisions by our place within our 2 week stay.  One was harvested, the other is still on the side of the road stinking up the joint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ydlkkoj7g

TimberGhost

Wow sounds like it should be a great hunt and you have a bit of an advantage where you don't have to go in blind.  Good luck to ya on hunt.  Hopefully we see pics with a moose and some ear to ear grins!!
~TG~

moosehunter

We got word. We are going moose hunting also! Who hoo!!
My dad is 74 and hasn't hunted in ten years. He is really looking forward to this.

We will be in zone 3, thats Pappy's neck of the woods. Can't wat to chew the fat with Pappy & Gram again. I think it has been 3 years sense we saw them.

mh

SwampDonkey

Hope everyone has good luck up there. I know there are all kinds of moose, just gotta go get one.  :)

I know we need a longer season here, you just see them too frequently for their existence to be threatened. The place is tramped to death, it takes moose to make moose tracks. When they come up in the yard to nibble my birch and apple trees, it's too many.  :D

Raider

Well the Wisconsin boys are ready for the hunt 8) 8) My son(Warthog) called to say he got the plane tickets bought, so on the 10 of Oct we fly East! ;D Looking forward to meeting at Moose camp and the "Outback". I just got to stay safe here, stay away from
electricity :o and not break any thing! So "cut me some birck bark and make a call" we are on our way!   Raider :)

moosehunter

Raider, I will be picking up my dad at Bangor int on the 10th @ 1pm.
Are you flying to Bangor?

mh

SwampDonkey

Why not fly into Presque Isle? Or is it cheaper to drive up from Bangor, than to take the extra hop? Come to think of it, it may be the cheapest to drive from Bangor. I always found it that way unless there is a seat sale into the "Star City". I have flown into Presque Isle most times when I lived in BC. It's only 45 minutes from here, Bangor is over 2 hours.

moosehunter

I have to drive through Bangor anyway. Seemed like a good idea when I bought the ticket! Dad is flying from VA. I am driving from NY.

Warthog

Raider and myself will actually be flying into Portland and driving the 4 or so hours North from there.  I had a heck of a time getting the right tickets, too many options for trying to save a buck, but these made the most sense and we should have pleanty of time to snoop around on the way up and back.  This hunt is getting close, but in less than a month we'll be in New Mexico chasing Wapiti around the mountains and high desert, so we have a lot on our plate, but don't feel bad, we both would have it no other way!!!  :)

SwampDonkey

I'll be taking a trip down to Bangor with the folks after the thinning season is over to stretch my legs in the malls. I probably won't buy much, but I like to look around.  ;)

dustyperry6

Hi, Newbe to the forum here.  My 11 yr old son got picked for a bull in district 19.  We've been up about every weekend scouting and have seen one cow.  We have seen seven bear so I put out bait but they haven't found it yet.  We hunted from a blind monday with no luck.  I have a game camera out but so far have just a doe on it.  I did get three of the bear on video and put it on youtube (put dustyperry6 in he search box).  If anyone knows a moose hangout in d-19 that would be appreciated.
Thanks Guys

Mooseherder

SwampDonkey

Between routes 6 and 9 along the New Brunswick border, just north of Calais.

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/wildlife/management/wmd/19.htm

Mooseherder

Thanks SD.  Zone 3 is what I am familiar with. ;)

SwampDonkey

There should be lots of moose down his way with all that water around there that feeds the St Croix.

moosehunter

Mooseherder, are you going to be able to drop in on the great Forestry Forum moose hunt??

Thank You Sponsors!