iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gang Rip Question

Started by Kevin_H., September 28, 2003, 02:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin_H.

Is anyone using or seen in action a gang rip?

I'm looking for something that will rip and size 5/4 x 8" boards into two 3 5/8" pieces. we are sawing pallet stringers and are looking to get better consistancy on the size.

Thanks in advance
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

shopteacher

I'm not to familair with the gang rip, but have looked at quite a few straight line rip saws.  The're awsome.  I'm loooking to find one at the right price at the right time. Either don't have the money when available or just spent what I had when one comes available.  I imagine the gang rip is just as fast and accurate as the straight line.  Seem the chain wears so if looking at a used one you might want to pay special attention to that area.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

ladylake

I have one set up in my RBI machine right now to cut stickers out of 3/4" pine. Cuts 4 one inch at a time, works great. Way faster than on the table saw.
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kevin_H.

We have thought about buying a woodmaster and using the gang rip on it but it will only do up to an 1 1/2",

we dont cut pallet material everyday, but I dont know if it would hold up.

The only plus is you can get into it for a couple of thousand.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

dewwood

Try looking into an edger.  Most have one fixed blade and one moveable blade, you could rip different sizes by just moving the blade.  Some will only do two inches thick others will do thicker stuff.   Horsepowers requirements increase with capacity.

Other benefit, you can edge your lumber with it.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Kevin_H.

Thanks Dewwood,
It looks like that might be the way we go, kinda killin to logs with one stone, so to speak. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Kevin, on my Corley Edger I had, there was an angle iron that was movable on the LEFT side of the stationary saw, that was on the left side of the edger. It was movable, so that I could swing it over to cut 2" and 4" and 6" boards with the stationary blade, and also cut whatever with the movable blade. That made a 2 board rip possible with one pass considerin wane on both edges, 3 boards without wane. Don'T know if Noble's edger has that feature??? Maybe we otter ask him???.  Hey Noble :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Kevin_H.

Noble...Noble...where are you...

Bigdogpc

uh...anybody tried to build their own edger?  Maybe a couple of circular saws and a roller table?

Fla._Deadheader

There was some discussion a while back. Might check the search feature for edgers.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

D._Frederick

Bigdog,
I built a 2 saw edger from scratch 3+ years ago, but have not used it much because of health problems. I used all new material and have a friend that was setting up a shop. He did the machining for me @ $25 per hr. about 1/3 of going rate. He made the arbor and sliding collars, the feed rolls (used #40 roller chain sprockets), pressure rolls, and bored holes in 5/16 plates to mount bearings. I made the frame out of 6 inch channel bolted and welded together. Had a sawshop make the 12 inch split carbite blades @$95 each. I have $900 in machine work and a total of $3200. I have an edger that would cost over 7K if bought from a dealer.
If I had to do it again, I would buy a used edger like Mitch did and rebuild it. A lot less headaches!

Thank You Sponsors!