iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill Truck

Started by boatman, March 22, 2012, 06:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chevytaHOE5674

Very understandable if you haul other things and need the load capacity. I have upgraded to a 3/4 ton with 1 ton springs because I mainly use the truck for hauling equipment around and the 1/2 ton wasn't up to the task of toating 20k lbs around.

But to somebody just hauling a sawmill around a 1/2 ton truck should do that no problem.

reride82

I use a 2004 GMC Sierra Denali to pull all of my trailers around. Technically it is a 1/2 ton, but it has a 6.0 liter, heavier transmission and equivalent to a dana 60 rearend. It pulls as good as any gas 3/4 ton I have found, but rides like a cadillac  ;D Although, I have caught quite a bit of grief for putting a gooseneck ball in it  ;) I had no choice, my dad bought a gooseneck trailer and I had to deliver the trailer from here to his house which is about 280 miles  ;) Granted, I did load it up with logs for the trip  :D I was able to haul 30' lengths instead of the usual 22' that I get on my car hauler  8) And I can get 17 mpg if I keep it civil on the highway, I usually get about 12-13 mpg pulling a trailer.
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

MHineman

Quote from: reride82 on March 23, 2012, 02:04:00 PM
I was able to haul 30' lengths instead of the usual 22' that I get on my car hauler  8) And I can get 17 mpg if I keep it civil on the highway, I usually get about 12-13 mpg pulling a trailer.
I haul up to 20 foot logs on my GN trailer, but that's as long as the mill can saw, so that's enough.  Very easy to unload.  Park on slight hillside (sideways), remove stakes, put small blocks under log to prevent unexpected rolling, remove chains, remove blocks and get out of the way.  Help with cant hook if necessary.
  I get about 18 MPG with my diesel with just the truck and no trailer.  10 MPG to 14 MPG for GN loaded to empty.  Pulling sawmill is about 15 MPG.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Misfit

Quote from: Magicman on March 23, 2012, 10:04:11 AM
I have found an '06 Chevy Duramax, 116K mi. for 25K and an '07 Ford F250 5.4 gas, 55K mi. for 19K ??

MM, for what it's worth I recommend the Chevy. I have the same truck and the Duramax/Allison combo is hard to beat. I pull a 35ft 5th wheel RV with no problems.
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

dgdrls

MM,

I have not heard good things about spark plugs and the FORD motors.
do a bit of research on them specific to the year your looking at.

The Duramax is a nice motor and the Allison is top shelf.
Plus the Chevy's ride nice. 

Best
DGDrls

Dakota

MM,
That Duramax is barely broken in.  I vote for that one.
Dakota
Dave Rinker

Magicman

Thanks for the thoughts and recommendations.  I have been doing a considerable amount of research on both.  The thing is you do not find the good, but it's easy to find complaints on and about each.  I could replace the entire engine in the Ford for the difference between the two.  It may be one or the other....or neither.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

boatman

Quote from: jdonovan on March 23, 2012, 08:20:04 AM
Quote from: boatman on March 22, 2012, 10:47:03 PM
Braking ability is important to me.
... coworker had his stock trailer lift the rear end of his truck at 70mph.

Don't know what kind of magic brakes your truck would have that allows a tire to slow the truck down with the wheels in the air, or with very little weight on them.

I that case I was referring to the need for a heavier truck.  Heavier trucks also have larger breaks and are better equipped to stop a trailer.

captain_crunch

Guys this is why my mill ain't portable

We did tow it 7 miles down hi way with F250 powerstroke at about 30 mph and yes we done it at day light Sunday morn. Had to get up hill with cat no tungh weight with the dolly
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

redlaker1

my advice for anyone is always    dont get the diesel unless you absolutely have to.   the oil changes are way more expensive,   if there is any maintenance it is always waaaaay more expensive,  you can just about replace your gas engine for the price of injectors or a pump on a diesel. 
this is coming from a diesel mechanic

that being said   if you need to go diesel,  I think the duramax/allison combo is hard to beat.   though the brand new fords seem to have shook off the problems of the 03-10 powerstrokes. 

I have two fords with 5.4gas engines and they have worked well for me,  an '01 f350,  and an '03 f150.   I pull some big loads with both and do just fine,   not passing ferraris on the interstate or anything   but getting there and back with no problems

Magicman

Yup I agree.  That is not portable, it's moving.  And some very serious moving.   :-\

redlaker1, your comments kinda follow my line of thinking.  I will not be hauling heavy loads.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Guys with the price of petrol we should be weaning ourselves away from big stud pickups.More power,more power is not the answer, better springs,tires and brakes with a smaller engines and transmissions designed for trucks,not cushy ride creampuffs.For years I drove a 54 ford 2 1/2 ton stake dump two speed rear with a 256 cu in engine.That old truck ran cheap,of course I had to shift it and was last away from the lights.Highway tractors used to have engines the size they put in pickups now.Its the springs and gearing that makes a truck not the size of its engine. One old pharts opinion. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

learydeere

I have an '06 F350 diesel and with my lt40 on it and all my saw equipt in the bed you cant feel a thing. So that probably is overkill  ;D

rmack

I'm a cummins fan, have run them for years, will never go back to gasoline.

I run a W250 extended cab 4x4 with firestone airbags. I do quite a bit of trailer towing and the airbags and longer wheelbase work well to keep things stable.

The engines are so overbuilt that they will run one of these smaller trucks a very long ways... mine has 360k (223,000 miles)no issues, have seen a few with as high as 700k (434,000 miles) of course, they do need unusual repairs such as steering boxes etc at the high mileage marks, but the thing is if you change oil once a year the motors seem to run forever... very economical too.;)

'94- early '98 12v are very highly regarded.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

mjl_2007

Quote from: Magicman on March 23, 2012, 10:04:11 AM
I have found an '06 Chevy Duramax, 116K mi. for 25K and an '07 Ford F250 5.4 gas, 55K mi. for 19K ??

I can't say enough good about the Duramax/Allison transmission. I'm on my second one and haven't had any problems with them. Just for reference on pricing, I sold my 07' GMC 2500 HD Crew cab with 90K miles for 27K.

Thank You Sponsors!