Sponsors:

What size logs to successfully achieve 10” x 10” timbers

Started by OffGrid973, September 30, 2020, 07:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OffGrid973

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

moodnacreek

The diagonal of the square inside bark, small end, straight log.

Den-Den

A single answer is not valid, you have to take into account how straight the log is and if the end is out of round.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

WV Sawmiller

This may be the same thing Moody said in a different way but as I understand good straight logs should square up 2/3 of the diameter of the small end, inside bark measurements. In theory a 15" SED log should yield a 10" square but if you need them completely clean without even a trace of bark on any corner I'd move the sizes up a couple of inches. Many of my customers, and certainly for my own use, I don't mind a trace of rounding on the corners. If its for a new customer you want to impress start with an 18" or so SED, straight log to be safe. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brad_bb

Is any wane allowed on the corners?  What are you using it for.  If it's a post in a timberframe, or a purlin, I don't mind some wane on two corners sharing a face(the one that sticks out), if it's for interior use.  Exterior use, I don't want any sapwood on the white oak. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ianab

In "mathematics land" there all cows are perfect spheres and all logs are perfectly round and straight  :D you would need a log 14.14" diameter. Accounting for logs never being perfectly, 15" is a more reasonable minimum. More if logs are noticeably out of round or bent. 

If you don't know if "x" size beam will come from a log, then cut some templates from light ply. If your 10x10 square fits completely inside the small end, then you have a good chance of it working. If the log is to small, or a bit oval and the square doesn't fit, you can see straight away that it's not going to work. That works for any size beam. So if they want a 12x6, see if it fits. 

Also works when the customer wants 10x10s cut from 12" logs, or you want no sapwood left on the beam. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

OffGrid973

Only MM I would add another option of 15" if I redid the poll. I do appreciate Brad's wanynie answer, he used to be a straight shooter before this crew corrupted him with the  "what about" mindset, lol...makes all my posts so worth it so I look forward to the banter.

Wondering if we will end up at 16 or 18 for the final answer, seems many are willing to risk it and stay on the low side for now.

Btw - using to open my barn to the front as I bought a 2nd lawn tractor and want each to now have their own bay to drive in, plus the sliding doors or ends for big lumber and pool poles.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

WV Sawmiller

I appreciate the update on Brad. Actually as I understood it he learned everything he knows right here on the FF. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ljohnsaw

You should also qualify how long a timber.  The longer, the less likely the log is straight and you need to grow the diameter.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

rjwoelk

If you don't want any sap wood, add 1.5 per  slab per face, or more, then a 2x per face that gets me around 18.  Depends how old the log is, all heavy checking will play into it.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Dana Stanley

If the logs weren't real straight and I had one shot to pic a log, I went with 20" so you get a couple good slabs as you work your way to the cant. If I needed several to do for the sake of time and economy, 16-18 would be what I would be looking for. If they were dead straight I suppose the answer is 15, or 14.1 by the calculator!!
(To ensure success) is different than as a general rule.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Dave Shepard

A quick way to get the diagonal without a calculator is to measure across a framing square worth a tape measure. 8.5" across to 10" , for example, takes a few seconds. Punching that into a calculator takes a lot longer.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I like to see at least an inch more for wiggle room but with a perfect log the simple way to figure it is "half again bigger".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jcsullivan3

I've been cutting a lot of beams lately so I decided to see if there was a common ratio to determine what you're asking.

And....there is!

You can take any log diameter at the narrow end (assuming it's a straight log) and multiply it by .7071 to get the length of one side of the square cant.

If you care to know how it works consistently, it's because if you draw a line from from one corner of the cant to the opposite corner, you've created a triangle. Then the pythagorean theorum comes into play giving you a formula, but to avoid having to do algebra each time, just remember the magic ratio.  .7071

Example: 25" diameter log x .7071 = 17x17 square cant  (always round down to the nearest whole number unless you want exact possible dimensions)
James Sullivan
828-302-7717

Thank You Sponsors!