iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mystery tree ID please

Started by Old saw fixer, March 18, 2022, 01:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old saw fixer

Triple trunk tree fell in ice storm.  When standing had growth habit like elm.  Easy to cut, not difficult to split. No strange odor when cut, smelled mild. 
We'd like to know what it is, as nephew has plans to burn it.  He isn't too upset if it's not the best fuel.
Thanks.
I had this in another place on this forum, it got 64 views and no replies.  Thought I'd try putting in the correct place!
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

KEC

I want to say it may be basswood, not sure. Where's WDH ?

WDH

Here I am.  The buds certainly look right for basswood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Flowering don't look right, kinda early in the year, and no bracts. And they always flower after leaf out. Seems elmish. ;)

Basswood flowers

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Could be that the buds are fat because they are about to break.  A closeup pic of the endgrain would rule out one or the other.  In the OP's pics, the wood does not look ring porous, but that could be from the faraway pic. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Old saw fixer

Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510

Old saw fixer

Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510

beenthere

Looks like elm, albeit the wavy parenchyma are a bit blurry
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Yep, Swampdonkey nailed it.  Definitely ring porous and the wavy bands of latewood pores are there. 

Old saw fixer

So it is an elm of some type, when the leaves come out we'll get a better idea.  There was another elm on the property years ago that fell, maybe from wind.  Back when we used a blue XL12 and a Super XL.
Thanks to all for the time and knowledge.
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510

SwampDonkey

Of course wood is like finger prints, but other parts sometimes help a lot. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Southside

But you said it's easy to split. That dosen't add up with Elm
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old saw fixer

You are correct, Southside.  Elm is hard to split, but this didn't seem hard.  When the leaves come out I'll post a pic. 
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510

SwampDonkey

Here is American Elm flowers

Not necessarily American elm, there are other species in the group that we don't have up this far.

SwampDonkey

Don't know of any other wood with wavy end grain and ring porous. It's also one of the earliest trees to flower. And they flower before leaves ever come out. No one uses it much around here, but they must out on the prairie because there were signs everywhere about not moving elm firewood when I drove from Manitoba to Alberta.

beenthere

Quote from: Old saw fixer on March 20, 2022, 04:14:22 PM
You are correct, Southside.  Elm is hard to split, but this didn't seem hard.  When the leaves come out I'll post a pic.
Not all elm is hard to split. Most is, but not all.  I've had black walnut that is harder to split (by hand splitting maul) than some elm. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!