iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree ID help West Tennessee

Started by Johnmark1970, April 22, 2022, 06:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnmark1970

First off, I'm new here and would like to say Hi and thanks for allowing me to join.I need help identifying these trees. I'm thinking Ash Black Cherry and hopefully Walnut. Sorry for the picture alignment. Had a time uploading. There was very few shells scattered in the area so can't use that to determine type. Thanks for your help.

Prizl tha Chizl

You've got the cherry for sure. The bark can be misleading on those other guys, but I'm feeling the walnut, tho the bottom one is ringing a locust bell for me for some reason, don't know my Tennessee forest all that well. Remember, ash is opposite branching- not necessarily all the way down the branch because they can shed one of the pair- but look out at the crown, you should see a lot of the smaller branches directly opposite each other.

Mom always told me that walnut has a monkey face bud scar. Like the one in this article https://naturallycuriouswithmaryholland.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/black-walnut-2/
"The Woods Is My Church"

WDH

The 1st pic may be ash but it looks more like mockernut hickory.  The 2nd pic is sourwood.  The 3rd pic is black cherry.  The 4th pic is sourwood.  The "shells" are likely from the mockernut hickory.  Walnut does not have "shells".  It has a continuous husk that does not split. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Johnmark1970.  :)

I don't know Sourwood which is why I generally keep my Ash out of tree identity.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Pic #2 and #4 could also be sassafras.  The twigs and buds are distinctly different from sourwood, but all you gave us was the bark pics. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

NCEric

I was thinking sourwood, too, but I wasn't sure.  In my area sourwood trees more often than not grow at an angle (leaning like), so that's typically the first indicator of sourwood for me.  That may be different in other areas.

WLzM1A

Quote from: WDH on April 23, 2022, 06:19:23 PM
Pic #2 and #4 could also be sassafras.  The twigs and buds are distinctly different from sourwood, but all you gave us was the bark pics.
Was thinking the same thing
Echo CS-310
Stihl 034 AV
Stihl MS250
Stihl 025
Echo CS-8000
Stihl 011 AVT
Stihl 066 Magnum
Dolmar PS-401
McCulloch MAC 160S
McCulloch Power Mac 6
Homelite Super EZ  X2