iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Minnesota Mystery Wood

Started by barbender, June 22, 2022, 10:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Ok, I'm trying to ID this small hardwood that I often find growing on the old windrows of debris in pine plantations. It usually only gets to 6-8" diameter before it dies. One forester told me it was tag alder, but I'm kind of wondering if it is cherry? We are outside of cherry's range, but it is common in Southeast MN and Wisconsin. Anyways, I had a stick I noticed when I was processing firewood tonight, so I thought I'd see if anyone could ID it from my severely aged and degraded specimen😁

Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Hmm, I seem to be experiencing some technical difficulties. Let's try again-

The top two logs in this picture-

Southside

That bark is identical to the poor, small, twisted, field edge, Cherry I see around here.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

I see the lenticels but alder and cherry aren't ring porous  ???

WDH

Cherry can have one row of larger earlywood pores that give it the appearance of being ring porous, but it technically diffuse porous.  It certainly looks like black cherry to me. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Clark

We aren't out of the biological range of black cherry but we are far from the economic range! Black cherry, paper birch and balsam poplar are the three species I would name as most common in a pine stand windrow. I have seen exactly one black cherry in northern MN that was 14" DBH otherwise they tend to bend over from snow and not recover. 6" is a more common max diameter.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

barbender

Thanks Clark. I have a couple that might be 9" I'm going to saw up for the heck of it.

SwampDonkey

Black cherry, the kind of junk we grow up here after the monkey bears, moose and black knot have a run at it. ;D :D

I've got pin cherry big enough to saw up here. Most places it's destroyed by the moose. I just cut a block with the clearing saw and I mowed down a bunch of it. It's a hard wood for a tree that will put on 6' in 3 months, harder than red maple, but lighter wood. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Sounds like the cherry that I have here. Does not get that big and grows crooked.
Am clearing a place now and found 2 there. I left them to watch them grow and grow crooked and then die. 
Then the stumps will last 50 years too!!! Still solid when I dig them out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!