iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Minnesota what is Balsam Wood?

Started by grassfed, August 31, 2012, 08:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grassfed

I just read this article from MPR http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2012/08/31/business/loggers-lose-markets-mills-close/
They mention "balsam wood" but the picture shows aspen and here we call it popple.
So is "balsam wood" balsam fir or is it aspen/ balm of gilead/ popple?
Mike

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

More likely it is balsam fir, and MPR put up the wrong picture. If the story was about Verso in Sartell closing down, that mill only took balsam fir, spruce, and aspen. No Balsam Poplar, or balmy or balm of gilead as it is more widely known up here.
Too many irons in the fire

mad murdock

Having grown up in the logging world just a little east of MN, I would say it is definitely meant to read Balsam Fir.  The only true fir that grows up in those parts.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

lumberjack48

The tree with the pitch that gets in your eyes and all over your saw. The tree with all the whiskers, that you cut boughs off to make Christmas wreaths with. The tree thats used for pulpwood, saw bolts, saw logs, and all so cabin logs.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!