iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

debarker question

Started by jmouton, March 18, 2024, 09:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmouton

so how often do you guys use your debarker,,,10 percent 90 percent,,,,  we hardly come across straight logs to mill on our 40 wide head,  we havent used it about 4 hrs out of 1100 on the mill,,,i am thinking about just taking it off and being done with it ,,,plus it get in the way sometimes trying to mill max width and carving up big logs on the mill with a chainsaw when the head gets stuck on the log,,,so whats everyone think
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

SawyerTed

I use my debarker 90% of the time when there's bark on that side.  

There's a very noticeable decrease in the blade sharp time when I don't. My guess is 50% or more decrease in sharp time.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

caveman

We use ours just about every time the blade is entering bark.
Caveman

WV Sawmiller

I only use mine on logs over about 6" in diameter. I'd use it on ones smaller than that if it would reach them. ffcheesy
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

oldgraysawyer

If the log has bark I use it. Even sand-dirt or a small stone trapped in the bark reduces the sharp edge especially on a blade that I've used for a couple of hours and can quickly lead to bad results making an overall cost a little higher somewhere in your process, longer cut time, wavy cuts, cut lines in your product, extra fuel to get through the logs, etc. My debarker can't reach the smaller stuff like WV Sawmiller but I don't have my own sharpener.....yet, and I'd rather take an extra minute and get more board feet before sending off my blades to get re-sharpened.
DB in WV

Southside

I removed the one on my 35 as it did restrict the width at times, it was pretty much an immediate observation that band life decreased significantly and it went back on after that.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

2019 lt 40 wide
3,400 hrs have hardly used it
Has never worked right 
The swing pin breaks all the time
I have been thinking of removing mine as well
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Put me in the "always" camp, so 100% of the face openings.  If there is bark, the debarker is engaged.  Clean log or not.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

When I had my sawmill, I engaged the debarker whenever the blade was entering bark!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Stephen1

I saw mainly urban salvage big ugly logs and use my debarker all the time. I also have upgraded to the 1/2" wheel and removed the yoke so that it swings out for those wide logs and out of the way when changing the blade. I can swing my debarker 360.  I didn't really remove the yoke, it broke and they sent the replacement under warranty. I like it without so I never reinstalled . I just have to pay attention to how many times the electric wiring cord is wrapped around.. :uhoh:
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

terrifictimbersllc

Always unless it's not working which seems to be 10% of the time.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

whittle1

Don't know if this is allowed per forum rules, but any of you in the never use group that want to sell it I would be interested. 
Please let me know if this needs moved or deleted.

YellowHammer

Me too, if the cut is into bark, the debarker is spinning. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

beenthere

Quote from: whittle1 on March 19, 2024, 08:00:14 PMDon't know if this is allowed per forum rules, but any of you in the never use group that want to sell it I would be interested.
Please let me know if this needs moved or deleted.

Solve that question about knowing and put up a wanted ad with the right wording. Then no worries.  :wink_2: :wink_2:

Here:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=4193.0
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Foragefarmer

Only time I might not is on a nasty eastern red cedar log since it will hang up. Or when I forget and that sometimes has been a good not so good reminder of why I use it.
Trucks, Tractors, T190, and an LT40

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 18, 2024, 09:55:19 PMI only use mine on logs over about 6" in diameter. I'd use it on ones smaller than that if it would reach them. ffcheesy
Cutting twigs again, Howard?
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Mr. Buck

So I ordered a LT35 a couple of months ago. The salesperson is also a field tech and he did not want to sell me the debarker for the 35. He told me that it was underpowered and blew fuses constantly.  He said it was not a problem on the 40, 50 or 70 models. He owns an LT35 himself as well. 

Have y'all experienced this?  I'm a bit nervous about running without a debarker.  I'm worried that my blade costs might be a lot higher than they need to be. I'd love to hear what you think! 
Mountain Cove Woodworking
Woodmizer LT35HDG25

SawyerTed

The debarker or breaker were not problems on the LT35 I had for 4 years.  It worked well.   

The usable sharp time on the blades is noticeably greater when using the debarker.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Gary Davis

Old Greenhorn

We had the same breaker problem on our LT50, Called WM and talked to their techs, also talked it through with others here and some WM techs in person. Although users report this problem often, WM denies they have ever heard of it (just like the breaking swing pins on the debarker and the dropping head issue). I finally realized I had to be my own troubleshooter, doped it out and wound up changing the direction of rotation on the motor and flipping the blade. Used to pop that breaker 4-10 times  day, since the change I trip it about once every 25 hours of cut time. It's all about how that blade approaches the log in relation to the debarker pivot point.
Perhaps your tech friend has not figured that out yet. As to the 'underpowered" comment I can't say.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

TimW

My LT40 wide's debarker only trips the CBs when I am cutting into extra thick SYP bark.  But these thick barked logs are over 30 inch diameter.  I have learned not to hog it into thick bark.

I really like to saw logs when the bark is starting to fall off by itself.  Even then sometimes, the log looks unclean, so I run the debarker then too.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Mr. Buck

Very interesting. Thanks, guys! 
Mountain Cove Woodworking
Woodmizer LT35HDG25

Southside

If you need any convincing try sawing a clean log at dusk without the debarker, the sparks will look like the 4th of July with all the embedded dirt and sand.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!