iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grizzly 15 inch spiral head planer. Is 3 hp enough?

Started by 21incher, December 22, 2016, 02:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Me

Also, look at the head diameter. The larger the circle the cutters are swinging the shallower the angle of the knife as it leaves the wood. Plus a larger head has a flywheel effect when you run into a knot for example.

21incher

I have a G0453Z on the way from  China. They brought the model back this year. The Grizzly tech support said it is a full 3hp 15 amp  240 volt motor due to the efficiency with the 74 German inserts . Sounds like the old ratings may have been higher amps because they were rated at 220 volts. They dropped the price and are giving free shipping so it is about  $300.00 less then the 12 amp 72 Chinese insert model  last year. Hoping to get it by the end of this month so I can finish the winter honey do list. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

petefrom bearswamp

John S, I got this opinion also.
My local woodworking equipment dealer told me about the constant contact theory about 10 years ago.
the beast is very quiet tho and the finish smooth.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

dustyhat

Glad you guys started this thread. been debating trying the spiral head cutter on my older grizz 15 incher. but after hearing about the bog down and drag, it changed my mined  . i even think mine has a 2 hp. doesn't bog in 10 to 12 inch white oak. so guess blades make a diff.

Kbeitz

In the Grizzlys show room we was told to tell the customer that spiral head cutter
used less power. All returning customers said it was true. I bought one for my
planer so I can't say first hand...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Bill Gaiche

I put a Byrd 15" spiral in my last Grizzly planer. I liked it very much. I bought a 20" used grizzly and I installed a Byrd spiral cutter in it also and I like it very much. If I had to do it again, I would do it again. I don't have any problems at all on red or white oak, sycamore, hackberry, pine, cypress, walnut and cedar. But, I just do it on a hobby basis. bg

btulloh

I really like the spiral head, but my 15" could use more than the 3hp it has now.  OK for my volume of work, but irregular stuff requires a little baby sitting.  Just needs more hp ideally.
HM126

Solomon

You should have no problems, unless you really over tax it.
If you're going to be planing 14 inch wide boards 4 inches thick and 16 ft long all day long, day in and day out, get a bigger and more robust planer.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

teakwood

Its a no brainer for me. changed to spiralhead on my 20" grizzly. would never go back to straight knife. Quieter, smoother finish, less power required, faster, can take more of in one pass,...
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

21incher

Well finally got it and the finish the spiral head leaves is amazing. Seems to have plenty of power on the low feed speed. The 30 fpm feed makes it work hard. My old bellsaw with rubber feed rollers took a lot of force to get a board started and the steel roller on this one grabs onto and pulls the board right in. What a difference in the noise level, the dust collector makes more noise then the planer now. I am not going to miss grinding and replacing knives.  Can finally get going on some new projects.:)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

21incher

Quote from: Bruno of NH on February 06, 2017, 01:03:23 PM
Mr 21
good luck with the new planer :)
Thanks Bruno. It's amazing how important a planer is when all you have is rough cut lumber.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!