iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

metal detectors

Started by olyman, April 19, 2007, 08:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olyman

ive not seen a topic on here concerning metal detectors--know what they are--and thats about it!!!!!!!!! want to know what will work to find hidden metal in the log--or csm--or bandsaw mill--and general cutting of trees

BBTom

olyman,

I am certain I have seen more than one thread on Metal detectors.  click on search at the top of the page and type in metal detector,  you will find a whack of threads to look thru.

I use a cheap Radio Shack detector,  not as fancy as some, does not scan as deep as some.  But it does fine for me. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

red

WalMart has one for about $200
you can find it online
and pick it up at your local store
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Part_Timer

Garrett ACE $200 works just fine.

There are several indepth threads on here when you find those you'll find a lot of other good stuff as well. :)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

DR Buck

I have a good high $$$ White's metal detector.  However, I still believe the best and most accurate method for finding metal in a log is to put on a new blade.   :D :D :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

olyman

dr---now that right thar is funny--but a lot of truth!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Burchfield

I am still using the standard $21.00 WM one pop at a time. I did wreck three blades on metal cutting that cedar for my porch. $63 and down time to change blades. I've seen the threads. Bailey's has two really upper end units that are a whole lot more than the $63. I've wrecked due to metal. It's really a hard decision. I'm pretty selective about what I saw with the log not being from in town or off a fence/property line. To do so without a good metal detector is a gamble. Course, buying my mill without the wife's permission and chancing a divorce was a gamble too. I figure I won. I have the mill and wife still. She once told me all my taste was in my mouth. I said I must have pretty good taste, I picked her to be my wife. She's tolerated me 29+ years now. Of course if you don't use one or look your log over for stain here's what you hit to wreck a blade. 

Those are a couple of lag eyelet(?) screws compliments of the power company on private property about 35 feet up the tree.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

olyman

chris--that HAD to hurt-------thinking of the mtl det because blades can be sharpened---so the less times you hit the teeth on metal--the more resharps before trash---

Chris Burchfield

Yep. We were talking about ceramic embeded insulators this past weekend in Mo. I've not, but they say it'll strip most of the teeth off a blade and the best metal detector wouldn't pick that up.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

olyman

chris--only if the insulator still has the attachment bolt in it------------------------ouch

solidwoods

I use the lumber Wizard from Rockler.  works great on logs and lumber.
$99
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

olyman

jim--not to be stupid---whos rockler???? me new at this---thanks

mike_van

I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Tom Sawyer

I hit a ceramic insulator a couple of weeks ago.  I was putting the slab from the previous cut on the slab pile when it hit and by the time I got back to the mill to stop it the blade had gone completely through the insulator.  It didn't go much farther though :o  Amazingly all of the teeth were still attached to the blade, although the points were pretty round ;D  About 8 times around the sharpener and it is sharp again.  Oh yeah, all of the teeth were set about 20 thou - in the same direction!  Try figuring out which used to be the right, left and straight teeth!

olyman

jim--went to their site--only found moisture meters---??????????????

ohsoloco

I have a White's XLT as well, but still rely on the new blade method most of the time  ::)

With the XLT I can find out exactly where the metal is in the log, including how deep.  I'm usually able to saw boards from above the metal to within 1/2" or less, and then pop that little bit of wood off the top with a chisel and dig the nail (or whatever) out.

Log-ic

Hi, I am using a German build forestry metal detector from Ebinger. (EB 405-S www.ebinger.de) it is capable to detect metal fragments in the centre of very big logs, but as mentioned by other contributors no detector is bullet-proof.  The signal often gets troubled by metal debris or electric wiring under the ground, metal parts of the mill or handling machine being too close and so on.  Also, (frozen) sand, small stones or pieces of glass are as destructive to your bands as nails are.  And those won'tbe detected by any scanner.   But the Ebinger is very sturdy, and can be used in extreme conditions such as rain & snow.  It has no external wires or controls, just an on/off switch.  Unfortunately it is not a cheap toy, it cost over 1000 Euros.  But if you use TCT tipped bands it is a must have.
Pezzolato HD8 40HP diesel (2" bands) and Pezzolato MP-800 40HP Deutz diesel (4" bands)
Avant 635TDL articulated loader with various attachments
Loroch JLM-V sharpener, manual saw setting pliers
Vollmer VWM planing bench and rolling machine
Husqvarna chainsaws...

bandmiller2

Oly,I have three metal detectors two good ones[$$$] and a cheap handy one I bought at the flea market for 25.00,quess which one I use.The cheap one is simple small and handy turn on one switch and have at it.Usally hardware is just in the butt log,I check if something looks suspecious.Blue stain in an oak log is grounds for checking.Mayby even a wand type detector would be handy. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

den

My vote
Tesoro Cibola Metal Detector, lifetime warrenty, $362 shipped
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

Thank You Sponsors!