iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber Mate 4

Started by JGMess, June 12, 2020, 05:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGMess

Hi everyone,

A friend and I have been reconditioning a Norwood Lumber mate 4. For a 20 year old saw it is in pretty good condition but understandably needed the bearings replaced on the bandsaw wheels and other servicing. 

What I am having problem with is being able to buy new thrust washers. These sat on either side of the Bandsaw wheels and look like they are made of brass or bronze. The id for the washers is 1.25 inch or just over 32mm and the od is 2.38 inch or 60mm. They are badly worn and one is cracked and 2 are missing altogether. Does anyone know where I can source these or maybe a replacement that will work?

Thanks for any help you can give. Looking forward to sawing some logs asap. 

cutterboy

JGMess, I have/had those same washers on my Lumbermate 2000 which is now 19 years old. Mine wore out after 12 or so years. I Googled up washers and found an outfit that had the right size in steel but not brass or bronze. I bought a 10 pack and they have worked out fine. I do not remember the name of the company....that was 6 or 7 years ago.

However, probably the smartest thing to do is call Norwood first.

Good luck with your mill.....Cutter 
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

JGMess

I have considered steel as well so might go down that route. I have called Norwood here in the UK a few times and unfortunately they have been a tad lax in calling me back. I suspect the lockdown is not helping things out at their end though.  

Outlaw

I would talk to a local machinist.  Give them the specs and they could turn them for you.  
TK 1600, old logging equipment,  sthil chainsaws

Old Greenhorn

Well I found your thrust bearing at McMaster Carr HERE. Not sure if you have somebody more local. Also, you did not say how thick they are.
 Good Luck,
Tom
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!