iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mahogany Seed Fruit Wedges

Started by Mooseherder, March 14, 2007, 06:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

Quote from: WDH on January 18, 2009, 12:43:25 AM
Looks like that you are growing some oxalis in there as well :).

If dat is weeds.....yep :D

SwampDonkey

Your gonna give Costa Rica a run for their money I see. :D ;)

It don't look cold down there for some reason.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I know bumble bees love it in spring time. Our local variety is Oxalis montana, wood sorrel.

Also varieties are cultivated for salads and soups. But be careful, may come with a price if consumed in excess because of oxalic acid. ;D

Here's an article from Florida, interesting read.

http://www.eattheweeds.com/www.EatTheWeeds.Com/EatTheWeeds.com/Entries/2013/7/18_Oxalis:_How_To_Drown_Your_Sorrels.html

Another article here.

http://www.gardensablaze.com/HerbOxalisRec.htm

Oxalic acid is also in rhubarb

http://helios.hampshire.edu/~nlNS/mompdfs/oxalicacid.pdf

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Well, two years have passed and these Trees are itching to be put in the ground.  The roots are growing through the bottom of the pot.  Here they are for their last picture all together.  I have decided to plant throughout the yard and give the rest away to friends and co-workers.  They had just been cleaned from weeds and I had a helper (my assistant ;D) put the rest of the Cupped and neglected seedlings put in bigger pots.  It is amazing they survived in a big coffee cup for 2 years.
Here are the ones that were still in coffee cups until yesterday.

The last picture of the bigger trees all together. :)

The roots growing into the ground.  I had to cut the plastic off.  Hopefully this will not harm the root system. ::)

And the First one Planted!  Yee Haw!  and my little buddy too. ;D :)

Only a few more to go. :D

SwampDonkey

Well the wife knows where you'll be for a few days. ;D When ya got the "green thumb" it seems you can't get it wrong. It is a miracle they survived those coffee cups alright. ;D

Mooseherder

I guess it is time for an update.
Hard to believe this is already 6 years old.
The first picture has one of the largest Mahogany trees in it in front of the Live Oak.
There are 9 Mahogany trees in that picture.
I put a can of Coke in the mix for scale.

SwampDonkey

They are really taking off. Gotta be doing something right.  ;D ;)

thecfarm

A very nice story.Glad Tom posted too. I missed it the first time. Got anymore seeds from the mature trees?
Interesting to read your progress though the years. I like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Time flies and trees grow, especially in Florida  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Yeah, twice as fast as here. My yellow birch are no taller after 12, this being 13, years since planting.  :)

Mooseherder

Yes, the trees have been producing a lot of seed every year.
The seeds have already dispersed though.
The trees the seeds came from are looking better than 6 years ago also.
I cut a large branch of the hurricane damaged one and will turn a bowl from it.

Mooseherder

Here's an update on the Trees a year later.  The tree to the left of the truck with the Parent trees behind it on the right center.

A nicer one to the left of the Car with a Live Oak behind it.

Some smaller ones as a hedgerow.

WDH

Mooseherder

They look happier in person.  The pictures don't really do them justice but they're still living. :)
The Parent trees have also recovered nicely from the rash of hurricanes we had in 2004.

Dodgy Loner

Very cool to see this unfold over time. :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!