iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Value of Logs

Started by travelr64, April 28, 2004, 05:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

travelr64

Yesterday I was given about 14 large trees to cut.  A dozen maples fro 30" - 40" DBH, and two walnuts about 30" DBH.  Trouble is, I don't have a mill yet and won't be able to buy one til later this year, but the trees have to be taken down now.

I'm wondering what the logs might be worth (just some kinda ballpark figure) and what kinda deal I should present to the one person in this area that does have a mill as far as sawing the logs on shares if I deliver them to his mill?

Thanks
Coop
""Now look what you've gotten us into ! ! !

Haytrader

If they are "town trees" they may not be worth much.
May be full of hardware.
Haytrader

Frickman

There's alot of factors involved with what a log is worth on the stump. Quality and size are of course big things, along with the hardware issue mentioned. Location and quantity are two big also. I need a certain critical mass of volume and/or value to move my equipment in and cut trees. The further I move, the less I can give for the trees. And it costs me just as much to move for ten trees as for five hundred.

Another factor is the difficulty of the job. I'll pay more for easy to cut woods-grown trees than for some down in a gully with power lines running through the tops.

That maple will stain on you this summer, so you'll have to saw it soon after felling. Use the find-a-sawyer feature and get a portable mill to come out and cut up the logs. Split the lumber 50-50, 60-40, or however you think, depending on what your work and expenses are.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

travelr64

Well, thanks for the input.  First off, these are not town trees.  They're farm trees.  Also, what I was wondering was what they might be worth if I transported them to a mill.  There is a sawyer in the area, and I was mostly wondering what I might ask for the logs if I delivered them.

In other words, I just want some kind of ballpark figure on what the logs are worth.  That's it. Delivered to the mill.  They are not yard trees.  They come from a wooded lot on a local farm.  I know no-one can tell me exactly what they are worth, I just need some kind of starting point to work with.  If they ain't worth anything, I'll just leave 'em be, and they can make firewood out of 'em.  I ain't into doing the work just to have something to do.  I have plenty to do.

Thanks
Coop

Ron Wenrich

Measure the logs and figure out the footage.  Hit that little red toolbox to the left, and you can figure out how many board feet there are in the logs.  Doyle scale is what most mills buy and International is a good indication of what they'll cut.

Low grade tie logs are worth about $200/Mbf, pallet stock is about $150/Mbf.  Grade logs are worth more, which means they should have less defect.

You should be OK on the walnut.  The maple depends on species (hard or soft).  If you're sawing for shares, what does it matter on value?  You're getting half the wood.  If that much lumber has value to you, then go for it.

Farm trees can have metal especially if they are fence row trees.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

travelr64

If there were metal in these or any other trees I manage to acquire, isn't it MOST LIKELY the metal would be in the lower 5 or 6 ft of the tree, or am I offbase in thinking this way?  I realize anything is possible, I'm just talking of probablities, not possibilities.

Thanks
Coop

Bigdogpc

I just left a pine stump about 4 foot tall due to the fence wire being inside it.  Fence post tree way out in the sticks.  The first log to land on my mill had a handful of nails in it that would have been about 10 foot off the ground.   Usually if I find metal it is in the first 6 foot.  Of course I ain't been doing this all that long but that's what I have found to be the case.  Just my two cents...

Ron Wenrich

Generally speaking, most tramp metal is in the first 6 foot.  Most people can't swing a hammer and hold a nail any higher than that.  

But, then you get that adventerous soul who thinks tree stands belong way up in the air.  How do you get to your tree stand?  I had one guy who figured you needed railroad spikes as steps.  That one was 20' in the air.  Found them with the saw blade.  :o

I've also seen a bicycle wheel about 10' in the air.  That one was used for a washline.  

Sign nails are often found.  Most guys use roof nails, but a few have to use 8 or 12 penny nails.  Old electric fence is probably the worst.  Not only do you get to hit the 16 penny nail used to hold it up, but you get to completely destroy your saw with the ceramic insulator.  

There are usually telltale signs of metal in the log.  Anytime you have blue of any sort, there is metal close by.  This time tested method has kinda gone by the wayside thanks to galvanized steel.  Bark abnormalities are a giveaway if you know what to look for.  Then there is always the strand of wire hanging out of the tree.  That's a sure sign.  :D  

Just check them over pretty good.  If you have any type of metal detector, that would also help.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

rebocardo

I have two trees with 3 inch angle iron embedded in them. Clothes line I guess being in the back yard.

One one tree it is six feet off the ground and you can barely see the three foot section of iron. Another ten years and it will be completely hidden under the bark. Looks like they lagged it on, otherwise I would think about ripping it out with a winch. Imagine finding that with a saw blade :-D

I would figure all trees as firewood and work up from that. If you find someone to saw, 50/50 seems fair with him keeping the real good stuff.

LeeB

You'll have to work out your own deal with the sawyer, but when I saw on shares I go 50/50. I certainly don't take all the best stuff. You get a log, I get a log and so on. If you only got one log then you get a board, I get one. Thats the way I work. I guess not every one does it that way but I"m comfortable with it. I actualy like to saw shares as I'm not really in it for the money. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

wiam

I like the idea of one divides and the other one picks.  Seems fair to everyone.

William

travelr64

One method I've heard of that I thought was pretty good was to stack the boards in let's say 6 piles.  Then the customer and the sawyer take turns picking piles.  That seemed about the fairest way I've heard of, of course I've never been a sawyer either.

Coop

Thank You Sponsors!