iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CHAIN PROBLEM

Started by alsayyed, February 15, 2006, 09:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Finally I have fixed my Stihl 650 chainsaw. When I  tried to fit the chain I have found out that the chain is not tight enough I have tightened the tensioner screw all way down the end I think my chain maybe stretched by it self. Know could anybody tell me how to shorten that chain to make it fit on the 30" bar.
I have ordered one ripping chain from Granberg but unfortunately found out it is smaller by at least 8 links I like theire chain. I have the log is laying down on the yard and I need to do ripping. Request some help.

tmullen

alsayyed

It sounds like you need to remoove a link. Unfortunatly you will need a breaker and spinner combo. It may be cheaper and easyer for you to buy a new chain since I think I remember that you don't have a saw shop you can go to. You may be able to get some help from a machinest that can work with chain.

GOOD LUCK
tmullen
when in doubt
fire out

Jim Spencer

When you order chain you must give them all the information needed to sell you a chain.
Send an email asking the company you are ordering from and ask them what they need for information to sell you the proper chain.

Bill

Alsayyed

I have seen several chain/bar companies catalog showing the correct bar for a specific chain saw , and then show the correct chain to use with that bar. Maybe you could give your chain supplier the bar part number and they'll give you the correct chain for it. If that is how you ordered the current chain maybe someone at the chain supplier shipped the wrong chain ????

You can also look in the Stihl catalog - I believe they show all the different bar and chain combinations and  then all the different tools to keep everything running, eg files, guides, etc. and the Stihl catalog also shows chain maintenance tools so you can "build" your own chain. ( you can easily find Stihl on the web )

I am also a little nervous about your comment that the chain stretched that much. FWIW whenever I saw a chain stretched  very much it could mean its drive teeth also no longer lined up on the drive socket and would grind it up if used for very long. My experience is mostly from other chain driven equipment - not chainsaws - so hopefully someone with more experience will jump in but just maybe another reason to be sure you have a matched bar/chain set or at least kept a close eye on it.

Good Luck

Kevin

The bar should be stamped with the proper number of drivers.
A 30" bar should have about 98 drivers.

alsayyed

I thank you very much I have counted the links on chains are 98 the other one is 97. They fit on stihl 30 inch bar, the 98 is getting very loose which dose not fit the bar as used to be. When place the chain on the bar whenever I turn the tensioner up to the limit to the right still I get the chain loose. The other chain once I turn the tensioner to the left still dose not fit I do not know why it happens like that I am getting out of pientience. I have checked everything I see the tensioner is moving left to right when no bar placed and right to left, what is going on God knows.

solodan

are you able to tighten it without the tensioner?

start to tighten the  cover down, then hold the tip of the bar up with the handle of the saw on the ground. lift up the weight of the saw by the tip, with the left side of the saw facing the ground. Then tighten the cover all the way down.  I hope I'm making sense,  ;D  97 or 98 D/L sounds about right but i'm not sure , I run huskys.  you may just have a problem with the tensioner, maybe somthing is preventing it from turning all the way down. you may need to pull the tensioner pin out to tighten the chain without it.

SawTroll

Alsayyed, are you sure that the bar is completely in place, with the slot around the washers that is on the bar studs, close to the saws body?

If not, scroll back to your last tread about this saw, and reread what was said about it there. ;)
Information collector.

Bill

Allsayyed

As was said by others - the bar has to be positioned properly on the saw with all the pins/adjustments and such in they're proper places.

You got me thinking and the more I think on it the more I'd consider getting a couple of matched chains from the people that sold you the bar - at least you'd know they should fit together properly with the saw and you could be sure you've got it right. 

All this because if you got the right chain/bar to begin with, I don't see a reason to be removing links from the chain - unless you're building the chain yourself ??? As a reminder the stihl web site has all their chain/bar combinations and the tools to build the right size chain from bulk stock.

Good Luck

Alta

you should see the number of drive links stamped on the bar. For a 30"  Stihl bar you would typically use 91 DLs for .404 and 97 for 3/8 pitch. You might want to invest in a breaker/spinner set and buy a spool of chain. I use oregon bench mount models. If the chain was put together properly for that bar it shouldnt be able to stretch enough to cause this problem so you might want to check for some other cause.

alsayyed

I am posting some photos for everybody to see and judge

Alsayyed

Please use the forum Gallery for posting pictures.
We no longer allow links to outside picture sites
Tom

Alta

Is it oiling? We used to use hard nosed bars with carbide chain for venting roofs on structure fires and they would get hot enough to sag that much. It was always possible to tighten the thing up enough to keep working though. Also if you tighten a chain that stretched when hot, be sure to loosen it as it cools or you may cause much bigger problems.

Alta

since thats a nice new bar, read the numbers off it at the back. There is a little drive link icon and a number like 91 or 97 or what ever next to it.  Then count the drive links on the chain - the number should be the same. Your adjuster is maxed forward so if the drive link count is right I guess you stretched the hell outta that thing. Did it seem hot? Smoking?

alsayyed

Maybe what are you saying is true I run that chain very hard? Even I had some damage on the tensioner I just bought a new one ordered form UK. I have counted the chain link I think 97 or 98 3/8 . so the only thing is to replace the chain hopefully nothing else.

I appreciate your help

Minnesota_boy

One the second photo, the bar shows discoloration like it has been hot.  Is the chain oiler working and adjusted for good oil flow?  If the chain does not get enough lubrication, rubbing on the bar rails will make it get very hot and will wear it out much quicker than it should.  This wear will soon make it appear stretched and it will no longer be possible to adjust it to the correct tension.  The chain will have to be replaced if this is the case.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!