iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First time chainsaw user equipment advice.

Started by svanhornjr, May 18, 2024, 11:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svanhornjr

I have to trim some tree limbs and this is my first time so I figured who could give me better advice then you guys so please forgive my ignorance just need some advice.

I bought a Husqvarna 130 Gas Powered Chainsaw, 38-cc 2-HP, 2-Cycle X-Torq Engine, 16 Inch Chainsaw.

I need a couple of recommendations if you guys would be so kind. I know this is subject to personal preference a little also.

Through my own research, from what I have read it may be a good idea to buy a carbide blade because the "stock" blade may not be the best. Any recommended manufacturer? I keep seeing Oregon. Thoughts?

As far as chain oil I've read that Harvest King is supposed to be really good. Thoughts?

Finally, instead of mixing my own, I was thinking of using Trufuel as after I am done with all the tree trimming, I will be draining everything for storage and it's not a big job. Couple of tree limbs probable totaling around 100 feet and I take really good care of my tools and equipment so would like to use quality with my equipment.

Extremely grateful for any and all advice. Thank you again.

Ianab

Lets see.

Stock chain will be perfectly OK. Maybe buy a spare loop. Means you can quickly swap over chains if you accidentally hit a rock or try excavating dirt. (we have all done that at some point  :veryangry: ) Carbide chain is for special uses. It doesn't actually cut as fast a sharp regular chain, but it stays sharp(ish) longer in harsh conditions. Mud covered or burnt logs etc. Firefighters often use it on their rescue saws because they are cutting through walls and roofs, hitting who knows what, and it will eventually get though anything sensible. 

So, get a spare chain, and a reasonable sharpening kit. Files / guide jig / depth gauge etc. There are various options, and 100 different opinions on which is the best. But if you get one, and take the time to learn how to use it, then you will be able to resharpen the saw to cut like new. Expert level is getting it to cut better than new.  

Chain oil? There is no Magic Chain Oil. It's 30 weight lube oil with some heavier sticky stuff to help it stay on the chain better. Buy what's on special, and remember to fill the tank each time you gas up the saw. The chain oil is a consumable, and gets flicked off the bar into the sawdust all the time. Important part is that it keeps flowing. 

The canned premix fuels are expensive, but for your use case it might be worth the money. Regular gas degrades over time, especially if it has ethanol in it. If you use a saw regularly, it's not such a problem as the fuel is always fresh. If you might not use the saw for 6 months, and only use a few gallons a year, then the cost isn't huge. 

And you should get some PPE, chainsaw chaps, and I use a forestry helmet. Face shield, ear muffs and a hard hat combined. 

Fancy Chain - No
Fancy Bar Oil - No
Fancy Fuel - Probably
Fancy PPE - Yes
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

lxskllr

I'll also add watch your chain tension, and don't overtighten the clutch cover nuts. 

The guide bar is just that, a guide bar. It keeps the chain going in a straight line. The chain should fit without sagging, but not tight like a rubberband. Overtightening is hard on the bar, chain, and engine crank.

The clutch cover nuts don't have to hold the world. I bought a used saw that had the nuts so tight I'm surprised it didn't pull the studs out of the case, or distort the case. On a small saw like that, wrist tension tight is more than enough, but I suppose it depends on how strong your wrists are. It only needs to hold the bar in place without slipping. Too much is too much.

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum!!
Ianab, did good.
I am concerned about the words "some tree limbs".
Are the trees still standing?
Or are they cut down?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

donbj

Just remember chainsaws and ladders are two things that do not mix. Just fair warning/caution. I'm sure we've all done it but not a good idea especially if inexperienced. Your mention of tree limbs brought this to mind.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Southside

As was said above the word "limbs" jumps out.  Go to Youtube and look at chainsaw fails, specifically folks removing limbs to see why we are concerned.  

Helmet, chaps, ear and eye protection are a must.  Eeek - honestly I can't get around saying that you really should be with someone who actually has qualified experience with running a saw before you do any of this.  Kickback, poor saw control, etc are all things that it's very easy to overlook when you don't have qualified instruction.  We all started with zero experience so there is no shame in being there and asking for assistance.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

chet

And to elaberate on the above posts, and the fact you mentioing not using a chainsaw before.  If these trees are already down, it would be wise of you to watch some vidio's of how to recognize and handle spring poles. They are capable of causing very serious injury, or even the death of a sawyer.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Greenhighlander

Lots of great advice has already been given.  

I just want to second getting someone to show you in person if at all possible.   

doc henderson

Stihl and others have a manual in the box with your saw.  If you have lots of other tool experience, you may be a fast learner.  If not, even consider having the saw shop take you out back and helping you with a first few cuts.  Stihl has "safety" videos that actually cover common scenarios, like what side to cut a log, depending on how it is supported.  top or bottom or a little of both.  getting the bar stuck or pinched in a cut is a rookie mistake and it will happen.  It feels better to know how to avoid it, and it may only happen rarely if you read and watch other beforehand.  Anyone I have taught, are required to watch the videos first.   :thumbsup:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WLzM1A

Quote from: donbj on May 19, 2024, 10:31:13 PMJust remember chainsaws and ladders are two things that do not mix. Just fair warning/caution. I'm sure we've all done it but not a good idea especially if inexperienced. Your mention of tree limbs brought this to mind.
Truth bomb :thumbsup:
Echo CS-310
Stihl 034 AV
Stihl MS250
Stihl 025
Echo CS-8000
Stihl 011 AVT
Stihl 066 Magnum
Dolmar PS-401
McCulloch MAC 160S
McCulloch Power Mac 6
Homelite Super EZ  X2