iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6bt swap into case 850 dozer ?!

Started by RunningRoot, August 17, 2016, 08:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RunningRoot

I picked up a nice older, lower hour case 850 dozer with a bad Case A301D engine... I was about to order the overhaul kit and a crank when I got to thinking.. 

Will a 6bt swap into it and bolt to the trans ?!.. or is there trans adapters available to do so ?!..

It would be cheaper on my wallet to throw in a 6bta then to rebuild the case a301d that's in it now beings I have to replace the crank with a new one..

Any info is appreciated in advance...
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

snowstorm

the newer case is a cummins. case and cummins along with fpt fiat iveco were in on the new case motor. fiat bought case in 98?

snowstorm

whats wrong with your motor? some of the case motors had chrome liners they would last a long time longer than the orings. orings leak water in base bad

snowstorm

a new case in the last few years has a fpt motor

kiko

What I am about to say take it as my opinion and nothing more.  Unless you can buy a conversion kit from case , don't do it.  Having been involved in some of these engine swaps before ,  the low money option is fixing what you got vs. reengineering. You have to not only consider connection to torque convertor, but engine mounts and placement.  Exhaust and intake plumbing.  Coolant hosing .  Alternator mounting.  Fan and shroud position.  Fuel control linkage .  Gauge set up.  Custom belt size and other issue once you are in the middle of it ( no turning back now).   Most attempts at this are the end of the machine.  However if you dig this kind project the cummins would be an improvement to your machine. Another way to make this feasible is to locate a later boneyard machine like a 850e that had the 5.9.  Once again , IMHO.

danbuendgen

Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

Thank You Sponsors!