iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

c4 c5 skidders

Started by stoneeaglefarm, January 23, 2014, 12:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoneeaglefarm

Hi Folks, What is everyones take on treefarmer skidders, small ones, C4 and C5, I am looking into a smaller machine for small lots and have owned John deere, timberjacks, international, How are parts to find, I am in NH. Thanks

mad murdock

Good skidders, parts are not too difficult to find.  A lot of common use parts in the machine.  JD good machines, parts are expensive.  TJ- kind of like tree farmers, easy to get parts for, some models easier entry/exit as the machine is a bit lower to the ground at the cab access point.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

treechopper40

the c5 is a great skidder the c4 has lighter axles they have 8 bolt wheels the c5 with the rockwell rears have 12 bolt wheels that being said as long as you use the c4 like a c4 and don't try to pull a huge hitch they are a fine little machine
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

Corley5

Newer C4s have Centrex axles which are twelve bolt.  Parts are hard to come by for them.  I've got them under my C4 forwarder and the guys from DAVCO have warned me about them.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

coxy

does any one have pics of those centrex axles never seen them before       thanks

deghan2172

stay away from any c5 with a braden 20 winch. You cant find parts for them. Davco warned me about mine.
78 Franklin 132 XL-N, 92 Dodge D250, Jonsered 2172, Jonsered 2152

David-L

I would look for a 225 or a 208 jack with a Hercules winch. Hows your health Peter, that Lyme stuff can wack you hard. I had a cordwood lot that could only be cut in the winter there were so many ticks any other time. it was right next to the Quabbin. I have taken doxicylin two times now from bullseye bites. one good thing about the cold is maybe it will set these ticks back a bit. Good luck. Talk to Dan about a 208 in Maine.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

stoneeaglefarm

David, I think you being the David from Mass I ran down to see, Sure hope so, I am treating it know and the anti-biotics and pro biotics are finally kicking in, All positive thoughts, But, Man I went from feeling like king kong to a lizard in a short period of time, Who should I talk to about that 208, I have the 440c for sale and I think sold, Been a great great machine, Have some steep ground to handle and also looking for a easy in and out while I am on the mend. Are ya still chopping and skidding. Peter.

David-L

Peter, I gave NH Dan a # last night of a 208 that looked very clean in Maine. This skidder was advertised a year ago but he was firm on his price and the tire kickers got the best of him and he took it off craigs list. it looked very clean and like a straight jack. I talked to the owner last night and he is still willing to sell it. PM me and I will tell you what he told me when I was considering buying it. I am doing anything outdoor related to make the green paper. Have a 225 Jack now that is the straightest I have ever seen.

Good Luck  David

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Brokermike

Quote from: stoneeaglefarm on January 23, 2014, 12:51:43 PM
Hi Folks, What is everyones take on treefarmer skidders, small ones, C4 and C5, I am looking into a smaller machine for small lots and have owned John deere, timberjacks, international, How are parts to find, I am in NH. Thanks

Well among all the horse trading going on if anyone bumps in to an older c4 or c5 and wants to pass along the info I'd be glad to find one. Don't even mind if she's a little beat up. Been scouring CL for a couple of months for a small skidder and I'm about fed up with people asking crazy money just because it's got new paint! I'd rather have no paint and good pins.
Don't Jersey Vermont

logman81

I just sold mine about a month ago sold it cheap!
Precision Firewood & Logging

mad murdock

I would widen my search to the "searchcraigslist.org" and look for Garrett Skidders and also Clark and Mountain,  They were mostly component machines, made from a lot of common off the shelf parts, easier to find parts for, and all good machines, IMO.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Brokermike

I'm in Vermont, far as I can tell most of the Garrett rigs are out west. Though they're pretty nice!

I've got some craiglist searches set on my phone, I figure that good things take time. Probably find the perfect rig just after sugaring season is over and mud season begins
Don't Jersey Vermont

Stephen Alford

The step in TJ is a good machine, put a door on it, to prevent a cellulose assault. My "ol doll" c5d is a pain to get in but at a tad over 6 5 its only a stride and a bit. For the "vertically challenged" this could be an issue for sure. Plus cut the door bigger with the gumdropsaw ,I mean grinder .  :D  I like the visability .  Seems awful easy to work on for access.  Did enhance the brakes.  Wood seems harder to find than parts.  ;D

logon

missouriboy

how much does a c5 weigh

SliverPicker

I think 16K to 18K.  Something like that.
Yooper by trade.

Thank You Sponsors!