iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas Milling cuts are just shy of what they should be...

Started by JAG, February 26, 2015, 12:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigidi

Quote from: JAG on March 03, 2015, 04:22:15 PM
I found a fix, sorry for the late reply but i was busy this past week. I looked at the blade adjustment 3 and just turned it a 3/4 clockwise, the cuts are now spot on.

Jag, its good you posted this on the forum, as I suspect you will need the info to 'undo' that adjustment a bit down the track...this way it will be easy to recall what you did.

Thinking about things like our dearly departed Spock - "that's not logical" ...Initially you said it only happened on the first half of the log...the blade adjustments don't change half way through a log, then change back at the begining of the log again and so on.

This occuring at the start of the log, doesn't point to log tension - log tension hasn't had any chance to effect anything at the start of the log.

It's happened since a blade change...........logic would point to a blade issue,

either blade tension - but again this wouldn't effect the start of the cut, but will be more pronounced as the cut progresses.
blade configuration - a Lucas blade that has the incorrect overall diameter will do this, but again logic would dictate this to happen for the whole cut as the blade diameter won't change part way through a log.

BUT combine these two and you may have an answer... bad configuration combined with a badly hammered (or not hammered at all) the cut will be out at the begining and then may come back to intersecting due to a badly tensioned blade not being able to  hold its path in the cut.

My experience with saw doctors down here would lead me to believe this to be the case. I've used several different saw doctors for my Lucas blades and only one of them gets repeat business.

As Frank suggested, an easy way to check is to swap out the blade to test the theory.
Always willing to help - Allan

Seaman

I was thinking the same things Sidgi, but you articulate much better!

FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Thank You Sponsors!