iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need advice in picking reasonable saw mill.

Started by alsayyed, January 22, 2008, 01:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Bet I could sand them smooth in an hour.  ;D ;D ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Nate Surveyor

If I wanted to go with iron tracks, I suspect that changing to metal wheels would be in order too.

N
I know less than I used to.

TeenSwinger

I have a setup at the house for stationary milling so i don't have to unload my tracks and all every time.  I just run my peterson on some angle iron and i just have the nylon rollers. I have cut maybe 50mbf and have not replaced them yet. Metal wheels would not be a bad idea though. The thing with the angle iron is that if you want to cut longer logs it just cost about 80$ to cut 20 more feet. :) :) 

Jacob
Peterson ATS 827  Nyle L200  Ebac 800  Bridgewood M-562

ErikC

Jacob, that's good to hear. What size angle iron did you use? Maybe a picture? I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I think changing to metal wheels is alright if your not using the aluminum rails anymore, otherwise you'd want to go back and forth. Those Peterson rails are a little more expensive than $80 for 20'.
Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

alsayyed

I thank you very much and I appreciate yours replies. I have checked the prices on Peterson and Lucas saw mills I have found out that they are expensive to purchase. I know I have read about these two saw mills
And found out that they are great and easy to operate but like I said it is rather expensive for me. I will stick to my chainsaw milling and in the mean time I will think of a way or invent a way how to mill logs. So I thank everybody.

Nate Surveyor

I was in that same predicament. So, I bought a USED mill. Now, when you get it, it will probably be out of adjust, and need a few parts. It is really nice to START with it in perfect tune.
But, a good used one is what I did.

Nate

alsayyed

thank you Nate i wish if i can find used one, at in good condition and it is been used without mecry

nsmike

Just an idea I read on an Australian woodworking website. This guy was useing his chainsaw mill to break a log into small cants and then resawing the cants into boards on a large bandsaw. I bet a large bandsaw would be easier for you to find then a used sawmill.
Mike

Nate Surveyor

Here's one on the Peterson Web site:

2001 8" 25hp Kohler WPF
Includes: 2 x Peterson six tooth blades and 2 x Pacific Hoe eight tooth blades.
Condition: Been setup inside since brought, professionally tuned, approx 1000 hours.
Price: US$13,500

Jeff Moffatt - Ph 613 269 3900 oremail Jeff
Mill is in Ontario, Canada

Then there is this one on Ebay: 110218429211   

You probably already saw those, but all sawmill prices have got higher in the last 2 yrs.

N

nsmike

I got tp thinking that a picture might help. This link is to a company that sells resaw blades for normal woodshop type bandsaws. the picture shows it in action. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1293
Mike

TeenSwinger

Erik, I am just using 1/4 in. 2x2 angle iron that is bolted to a 3x5 block of wood.  Right now I am set up with two twenty foot sections so i can cut about 35 foot.  I am working on a picture, I got dial up. :( 
Jacob
Peterson ATS 827  Nyle L200  Ebac 800  Bridgewood M-562

Ianab

Quote from: alsayyed on January 28, 2008, 10:47:57 AM
I thank you very much and I appreciate yours replies. I have checked the prices on Peterson and Lucas saw mills I have found out that they are expensive to purchase. I know I have read about these two saw mills
And found out that they are great and easy to operate but like I said it is rather expensive for me. I will stick to my chainsaw milling and in the mean time I will think of a way or invent a way how to mill logs. So I thank everybody.

A manual bandsawmill isn't really difficult or expensive to build yourself. Several guys on the forum have built their own. Most of the parts should be available locally, use car wheels and tyres, a basic industrial 4 stroke engine, threaded rods, bicycle chains etc.

Keep the chainsaw mill to break down big logs into 1/4s or cants that you can move to your bandmill.

You would still have the issue of sharpening your blades, you may have to get your own sharpener as I doubt anyone local will do it and you are going to NEED sharp bands for your logs. But s/h band sharpeners are around.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ErikC

Well I guess you could just keep your eyes open for a used one you like and keep chainsawing for now. There are lots for sale here in the US, but I doubt as many where you are. I've known people to get used manual band mills for around $3,000. There's a few homebuilt swing mills on the FF as well. Hope you don't get discouraged and give up to soon.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!