iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customer's projects pictures thread

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 11, 2014, 10:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What did he put in the joints on the floor?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

richhiway

Each one nicer then the next. With all the talented people in this country,you would think we would be better off!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

hackberry jake

Quote from: richhiway on August 14, 2014, 09:25:24 PM
Each one nicer then the next. With all the talented people in this country,you would think we would be better off!
I dont think that table is in this country...
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

So, yesterday I went to the fair to see a display that I made some pieces of wood for my customer.

She is a little wild lady that I have written about here before. But anyway.

She called me up a while ago and asked me if I could cut an 8x8 timber out of a log and sell her all the outside slabs as 4 solid pieces. I told her sure.

She took these four pieces and put them around an 8x8 post in here display area to make it look like a tree standing there.

I thought that they did a good job with it:

She had a corner spot right near one of the gable end doors.

On the tree was this sign:

Here are some pictures of the benches she made out of some curved log slabs I cut for her.

Also, look around the sides of the booth and you'll see some "barn board" square planter bins she made out of wood I milled for her.

See the guy looking under the bench to figure out how she attached the legs.

She won a ribbon for her display.

I thought they had a very nice display of plants and wood.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

I also think so Jim.  Congrats on the "raw materials".   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

Really a nice display. Thanks for the pics, excellent ! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

5quarter

That is a real handsome floor. Wood tile has gotten popular  around here among folks that can afford it. One of my clients had their kitchen done in in wood tile made from Wenge. The "grout" lines were very narrow and used some kind of flexible caulk to act as an expansion joint. Been in for about 4 years now and looks like new. depends on the type of wood used and how its dried and finished I suppose.
There's a small town in upstate NY that still has wood pavers on a dead end side street that by all accounts was installed in the 1870's. A few on the edges have been replaced over the years, but aside from the occasional weeds trying to grow in the cracks, it's still holding up well.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

thecfarm

Good sawing job Jim. And she did a good job putting it all together too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ely

on that end grain floor topic... that's exactly what I have been wanting to do.
I like it a bunch.i got the idea from a butcher block that I seen once. also they used to floor old warehouses like that only about 3 inches thick... the fork trucks would not tear them up if they were end grain as opposed to boards.

tule peak timber

Again......Is there information on what your customer tried for adhesive, caulk, and finish ?  Thanks  Rob

Jim_Rogers

This morning I visited with this lady landscaper and saw a few more of her things she makes and sells.

We discussed her display at the fair. And she told me that the man in charge of the building where these landscaping displays are shown wants to do all the posts in the building with tree trunks. I told her we could for next year.

Here are some more of the things she does and some of them are from wood she gets from me.

She is interested in getting more curved pieces of wood from me.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

tule peak timber

This is a hollow log we engineered for a customer installation last year . She fit it over an ugly steel post.. Rob

Skidder Kev

thanks for posting all the pictures guys they all look great.  I like the "tile" floor idea alot.  keep them coming.
kev

hardtailjohn

The Montana State Prison used an end grain floor out of 4x4's in the 1800's for their horse barn.... I just saw some of that floor about a year ago and it was awesome looking!! (no, I wasn't "in"....just taking a tour! :snowball: ) They set it all in sand and tamped it down.  It got some pretty rough use for a lot of years.  We also saw the same floor in the "Copper King Mansion" in Butte, MT, but built out of 2" squares, 6" long. It was awesome!!!   We've been talking about trying that for our barn floor ever since seeing it.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Nomad

Quote from: hardtailjohn on October 16, 2014, 08:09:02 PM
The Montana State Prison used an end grain floor out of 4x4's in the 1800's for their horse barn.... I just saw some of that floor about a year ago and it was awesome looking!! (no, I wasn't "in"....just taking a tour! :snowball: ) They set it all in sand and tamped it down.  It got some pretty rough use for a lot of years.  We also saw the same floor in the "Copper King Mansion" in Butte, MT, but built out of 2" squares, 6" long. It was awesome!!!   We've been talking about trying that for our barn floor ever since seeing it.
John

Quite a few years ago I worked in an old machine shop that had a floor like that.  It was laid over a concrete slab.  You couldn't ask for a better floor to work on!  Easy on the feet, and nearly 100 years old.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: JustinW_NZ on August 14, 2014, 07:12:42 PM
Here's a couple of pics of an outdoor table that a customer made from Eucalyptus timber we were milling, these were a couple of slabs I through aside, they thought they had a better use and I have to agree!!

Cheers
Justin

I really like the vortical matching. Very cool idea. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

RPowers

Quote from: tule peak timber on October 16, 2014, 01:16:59 PM
Again......Is there information on what your customer tried for adhesive, caulk, and finish ?  Thanks  Rob

I asked and this is what he said.

"I used Stauf glue, which is poly based and designed for wood floors. I stained it with regular stain, and finished it with a floor top coat.
The thing that made it difficult was the tiles wanted to bow up. So I'm not sure if that's because of the wood wasn't dry enough or the thickness I cut them. I used sheetrock mud as a filler, which probably would have been fine except I left too big of a grout joint in certain places. So the mud started to come out. Had I butted all the tiles together that probably wouldn't have been an issue. I may go back and try regular tile grout to see what that does.  "

Sorry for the delay
RP
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

tule peak timber

Thanks for your info  Rp ! ;D   Rob

WoodenHead

In this case I am the supplier of some red oak to a regular customer of mine who makes tables, chairs and cabinets as a hobby.  My wife, the end customer in this case, requested cabinets to hold our kids clothes.  Basically we have one section for each child.

The wood was mostly my shorts and left-overs from other projects.  But some of it was from my quarter-sawn supply.  Here is a close-up of one of the doors.  Some nice ray-flecking on a number of pieces.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The cabinets are just dog gone purty! Very nice work and the quarter sawing pops right out.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tule peak timber

On your guy's cabinets ...Yahoo , and then some . Fine craftsmanship.  :)  Rob

grouch

Quote from: RPowers on October 20, 2014, 12:52:56 PM
Quote from: tule peak timber on October 16, 2014, 01:16:59 PM

I asked and this is what he said.

"I used Stauf glue, which is poly based and designed for wood floors. I stained it with regular stain, and finished it with a floor top coat.
The thing that made it difficult was the tiles wanted to bow up. So I'm not sure if that's because of the wood wasn't dry enough or the thickness I cut them. I used sheetrock mud as a filler, which probably would have been fine except I left too big of a grout joint in certain places. So the mud started to come out. Had I butted all the tiles together that probably wouldn't have been an issue. I may go back and try regular tile grout to see what that does.  "

Sorry for the delay
RP

Would epoxy, as used to pour over concrete garage floors, stand up to the expansion and contraction of those wood tiles? If so, that would eliminate the problem of keeping those joints clean in an indoor setting.

This thread is awesome. There are some creative people out there being enabled by custom sawyers trying to please their customers. I love the "perception change" lady.
Find something to do that interests you.

tule peak timber

My 2 -cents...Epoxy even in the more flexible formulas would not be the right stuff due to rigidity and cost. Epoxy soaking the wood "tiles"works VERY well though. I used to pour the seams on the decks of my boats back in the 70's with a post catalyzed poly sulfide /butyl rubber that worked well between the wood planks. Don't see it around anymore, probably the victim of VOC laws in California. Dow makes an excellent caulking called "5200" series that I am looking into. The caulk needs to be legal, pliable, and cost effective for a small operation like mine. Performance needs to be bullet proof  if you want to sell the system to customers. Rob   

Thank You Sponsors!