Getting started

Started by Svonh, July 27, 2020, 09:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Svonh

Hello everyone, i am currently a hardwood skidder and forwarder operator in mid west ontario who is interested in buying my own piece of equipment and going it on my own. what i really would like to know is if im wasting my time on this. i really like what i do and due to constant machine breakdowns i am losing alot of hours. just looking to see if there is any market for a owner operator. there is a saw mill in the area that had expressed some interest a few years ago but im not quite there for purchasing a machine so i didnt want to get too far ahead of myself. if anyone has any ideas on the best way to get started it would be much appreciated.

thanks

kiko

You will likely get some sound advice here , but my response to this question is usually the same. The first thing you have to do is buy the machine.

Corley5

When you're running a machine for someone else you don't have to pay the price of fixing the machine.  You'll have the same break downs as an owner/ operator as an operator. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

mike_belben

Going on your own is a big can of worms.

Instead of just getting the logs to the landing you now got to find the logs, pay for them, put in the culverts and roads, get the machines to the site, do the job, find the buyers, pay the trucks and fix every thing that goes wrong.  

How many sawmills do you know?  Are you fluent in tree species, log grading and pricing on each by grade and species?

Do you have a CDL or any trucking background?  Are you a good mechanic?  Have you got a hydraulic hose crimper? Service truck? Fuel transfer pump?  1" impact gun, torches and welder etc etc?  Have you got a dozer for the roads?  Have you ever priced 3-5 rock or seen how few linear feet fits on a triaxle?

Im not trying to scare you, this is all reality.  You really need to have a lot of advantages most people dont have to survive as a logging startup.

It sounds as though you would be better off trying to get paid hourly to repair the machine youre paid to operate in order to stabilize your paycheck.  [i have done this myself]

If you arent capable of doing that then dont buy a machine.  All they do is break.
Praise The Lord

Riwaka

Many people will make more money operating someone else's newer machinery than they ever will owning very old machinery (that they could afford to purchase).

Saskatchewan. started out as load and haul. (a group of people starting out a business together with complementary skill sets, usually can achieve more than an individual with skill set weaknesses) e.g find some friends with the same goals & work ethic as yourself. 
Tigercat Forestry Prototype - Breaking Boundaries with Brander Bros. | Redhead Equipment - YouTube

Firewoodjoe

I heard all the same stuff and it is all good advice and true! But don't let it scare you! I did it and love it. Wish I would have much sooner. Only you know your area, markets and the most important your ambition, work ethic and abilities. If your not willing to work harder than ever before, go home broke and tired sometimes and STILL love and enjoy the job then your not cut out for it. You have to love logging or you won't make it. Don't spend beyond your means or available work. And don't try to do it all. Get good and profitable at one task first before you do the next. I mean get good/profitable at "logging" then take the next step to save you money or convenience. Sometimes it's better to make a little less than screw up and go broke. Good luck 😉

Svonh

Thanks for all the information, a really appreciate it. I'm gonna keep saving my money so I can get a newer machine in the next few years, in the mean time I'll open out the details and try to be as prepared as possible

mike_belben

Make all of the industry acquantainces you possibly can, of every sort. 
Praise The Lord