iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two Big Boys

Started by Magicman, June 24, 2014, 05:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on June 24, 2014, 07:53:58 PM
Wow Magicman, it seems like you've just about got the hang of this sawmilling thing. :D

I'm guessing that 12" wide cant was pretty tall when you finally got it squared up.  I find that turning tall cants like that can sometimes be challenging.  Do you ever have any trouble with those and have you got any tips you'd like to share?

I have the same problem also , sometimes I put a glove over the log turner to help hold it up and then try to finish it with the clamp, I also would be curious to know how the magician does it.

Magicman

Quote from: Tom L on June 25, 2014, 08:56:47 AM
Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on June 24, 2014, 07:53:58 PMDo you ever have any trouble with those and have you got any tips you'd like to share? 
I also would be curious to know how the magician does it. 

I thought that I answered it in Reply #9: 
Quotebut I did have to use the log clamp and turner together to roll them over
But I never said that handling those biguns was easy.   ;D

I handled even larger logs in the More Sinker Cypress thread.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DeerMeadowFarm

Very impressive MM! I personally like the water oak coloration better, but that's what makes the world go 'round!

mesquite buckeye

Where do you get those big logs without big lumps? :snowball:

We are still looking for the first mesquite log that looks like that. :-\
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Oh, we have "lumps" too.  Here are the two logs pictured before they were trimmed and bucked to 8½'.

The Water Oak in the back shows a sizable lump (grown over limb stub) that was bucked off.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

Quote from: dboyt on June 25, 2014, 08:39:55 AM
For boards like that, I bet your customer would have been thrilled at any price!  Good thing he didn't want live edge slabs.  Nice job.  What pitch/hook angle did you use?
I'm pretty sure MM sticks to 7/8" Pitch and 10 degree WM bands.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

redprospector

That is some nice looking lumber that came out of those 2 logs.  smiley_thumbsup
I've sawn quite a few Douglas Fir that were that big, but I didn't like it while I was doing it. Could be because my log turner looks real similar to a cant hook.  :D I have resorted to a high lift jack to turn some of them. But none of them were as nice a lumber as the 2 you sawed.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Magicman

Quote from: hackberry jake on June 25, 2014, 07:57:36 PMI'm pretty sure MM sticks to 7/8" Pitch and 10 degree WM bands. 
Thanks Jake.  I got sidetracked and forgot to answer, but you were correct.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 25, 2014, 08:33:54 PM
Quote from: hackberry jake on June 25, 2014, 07:57:36 PMI'm pretty sure MM sticks to 7/8" Pitch and 10 degree WM bands. 
Thanks Jake.  I got sidetracked and forgot to answer, but you were correct.

Should have put it in your OP and I would have read it. :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on June 24, 2014, 07:53:58 PM
I'm guessing that 12" wide cant was pretty tall when you finally got it squared up.  I find that turning tall cants like that can sometimes be challenging.  Do you ever have any trouble with those and have you got any tips you'd like to share?
I use a three point move. Raise the log turner up and bring the cant away from the dogs. raise the clamp all the way up and bring it in close to the cant.

Lower the log turner.

and clamp to the dogs.

claw style turner may be different but the concept is the same. Note that the far end of the cant is not tight to the rail side, that helps the cant to not bind up in the turn.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!