iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer Dianne

Started by WildDog, June 07, 2011, 06:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildDog

Thought I would share tonights meal with you guys. This is fast becoming Nicky and my favourite, (after roast leg of goat) ;) Fallow deer steaks in a little brandy, Worstershire, Cream, caramelized onion and garlic, I think it is a Dianne sauce. This particular meat took a bit of getting, it was an 18month old doe that I head shot so as not to damage the shoulder or back strap and then had to carry her a fair way out. Very tender and definately worth it. :)

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Norm

Now that is one good looking plate!

I've never had fallow deer before, are they wild or domestically raised?

sandhills

What time is supper?  Might want to allow me a few extra days to get there though  ;D  That looks great!

WildDog

Norm the Fallow are wild in this area and their range is spreading. Our farm was always known as a place you could guarantee getting a deer, we did have deer traps but I have dismantled them. I used to look on them as a pest but since running Maremma dogs and culling fairly heavily they aren't as easy to get and I now value them as a food source. The rut has just finished, this year we had 3 stags around the house, one on each hill.

Sandhills suppertime is anytime after chores are done around here, Nicky likes to cook and there is always a place for guests, so just turn up, Sunday nights not the best, its get your own  :(
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

WDH

That looks delicious, tasty, scrumptious, and a whole bunch of other adjectives!  Fallow deer are native to India, right?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

iffy

Any chance of pinning that recipe down a little closer? Looks yummy! I have some elk steaks I would like to try it with.

WildDog

WDH I am not sure of Fallow deer origin I know they are throughout Europe.

Iffy I use steaks from the hind leg cut 3/4 inch thick, (back straps are the best) I then trim it and separate the muscle segments. Next I hit it with a meat tenderiser hammer.

Heat the fry pan, put in a small amount of olive oil and sear both sides well, then put in 3-4 cloves of crushed garlic and half a finely diced onion and pretty well caramolise it, then I add half Tablespoon of brandy and a tablespoon of worstershire sauce. I cook the meat through and then fill the bottom of the pan with fresh cream and stir and cook it off untill it looks like the pics.

Enjoy

LOGDOG

Man that looks good. Reminds me of my mom's cooking during hunting season growing up.

WDH

WildDog, reading the recipe, it sounds as good as it looks!  Man, that makes me head for the frig  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

gator gar

I'd deffinately put a hurtin on that plate of groceries.

Thank You Sponsors!