iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Playing Scragg mill

Started by Tom, December 23, 2003, 02:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I spent the day playing skragg mill today.  Florida Cypress Wood Products had a bunch of odd sized cants, varying from 7x7 to 8x10 and in lengths of 8 to 16 feet.  I didn't count them but there must have been 150 or more.

The Jacksonville Zoo had placed an order for a bunch of 6x6's and this is all the company could get.  The boys in the photo had been given the job of cutting these cants to 6x6 on a little resaw and it was about killing them.  The owner called me last night about 10 minutes after I returned home from the Chicken Farm and was elated when I said I'd show up this morning.   It was even better to hear the boys talk about how pleased they were that I was there with the sawmill.  

They weren't having much luck getting these timbers through the resaw. They were having to hold each timber up as it went through because the bed is only about 4 ft. long.  Then they would have to catch the cant and cut-off as it came out the other side.  They were getting whipped.  It would have taken them a week to do this job as best as I can estimate.

We finished it today in 3 1/2 hours.  With an hour for lunch and setup and pausing while they waited on customers, I was there about 4 1/4 working hours.  They were well pleased.  More cants will be due Monday.

cluckerplucker

tom  Dont you just love jobs like that .Thay must be going to replace the board -walk at the zoo.                                          Cecil
cecil

Bibbyman

Looks like a pretty husky bunch of boys. Or is the picture just compressed too much ???

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

Don't know what they are going to do with them.  Our zoo does all kinds of wierd stuff.  

One of my sons works there as a Ranger (security officer).  Maybe I can find out from him the next time I see him. :)

www.jaxzoo.org

http://www.disneyclubs.com/jvzoo/zoo_content.htm

I was amazed to find so many web sites, pictures, etc. of the Jacksonville Zoo when I entered it into Google.

Aw--w-w-w-w!   Bibbey!  They aren't skinny like that at all. :D

These are well fed, hard-working young fellows. :D

BW_Williams

I don't know Bib, now those 6x6s look like 4x8s! :D
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Bibbyman

Sawing since '94

woodmills1

yes sir them 6x6 be a little skinny on one dimension. :) :)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

You can do the same thing using just one picture by adding width and height tags to your image tag.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Sawing since '94

Stephen_Wiley

Somebody must be stockholder in Wrigley's............... as there seems to be a lot of  str---et--ch---ing going on.  :D

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!